Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Maximum PDF file size

Maximum PDF file size

Andy

(I posted this message before but I do not see it, so I'm do it again)
What is maximum PDF file size I can put on CD ?
I want to make PDF file containing 250 pages 550Kb each (137.5Mb total). I'm
wonder if slower and older computers will be able to open it from CD ROM .

Michael J. Apollyon

Andy wrote:
> (I posted this message before but I do not see it, so I'm do it again)
> What is maximum PDF file size I can put on CD ?
> I want to make PDF file containing 250 pages 550Kb each (137.5Mb total). I'm
> wonder if slower and older computers will be able to open it from CD ROM .

1. Learn how to scroll down or search.
2. Unless you have some special kind of magic fractal CD-Rs, you will
reach the maximum capacity limit of your removable media long before the
limits of PDF architecture.

Harrison

Slower, older computers will be able to open the file, but it will
obviously be slower.
Those are BIG page sizes for pdf.
Have you optimized the document at all?
For example, I am looking a 41 page document right now, with images
and text on every page, which is only 5 MB total.

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 18:40:53 GMT, "Andy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>(I posted this message before but I do not see it, so I'm do it again)
>What is maximum PDF file size I can put on CD ?
>I want to make PDF file containing 250 pages 550Kb each (137.5Mb total). I'm
>wonder if slower and older computers will be able to open it from CD ROM .

Andy

<Harrison> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Slower, older computers will be able to open the file, but it will
> obviously be slower.
> Those are BIG page sizes for pdf.
> Have you optimized the document at all?
> For example, I am looking a 41 page document right now, with images
> and text on every page, which is only 5 MB total.
>
> On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 18:40:53 GMT, "Andy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >(I posted this message before but I do not see it, so I'm do it again)
> >What is maximum PDF file size I can put on CD ?
> >I want to make PDF file containing 250 pages 550Kb each (137.5Mb total).

I'm
> >wonder if slower and older computers will be able to open it from CD ROM

..

I can optimise up to 175Kb/page. I think it should work. Thanx for info.

philo

"Andy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:V8BNb.43375$%(E-Mail Removed) le.rogers.com...
> (I posted this message before but I do not see it, so I'm do it again)
> What is maximum PDF file size I can put on CD ?
> I want to make PDF file containing 250 pages 550Kb each (137.5Mb total).

I'm
> wonder if slower and older computers will be able to open it from CD ROM .

A file that size would be slow opening on most any machine.

my guess is that an older machine would have a *lot* of trouble with that

Andy

news:bu6qpa$eg1u2$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...

> "Andy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:V8BNb.43375$%(E-Mail Removed) le.rogers.com...
> > (I posted this message before but I do not see it, so I'm do it again)
> > What is maximum PDF file size I can put on CD ?
> > I want to make PDF file containing 250 pages 550Kb each (137.5Mb total).

> I'm
> > wonder if slower and older computers will be able to open it from CD ROM

..

> A file that size would be slow opening on most any machine.
>
> my guess is that an older machine would have a *lot* of trouble with that

I will do a "Demo" PDF and check it on somebody's older computer. If it will
not work, I will need to do an Index page and links to smaller PDF files.

philo

> > A file that size would be slow opening on most any machine.
> >
> > my guess is that an older machine would have a *lot* of trouble with

that

> I will do a "Demo" PDF and check it on somebody's older computer. If it

will
> not work, I will need to do an Index page and links to smaller PDF files.

good idea...
it's best to test.