Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > norton av 2003

norton av 2003

Mat & Mia Moors

I/m using Norton AV 2003 on an XP home machine.
It's impossible to switch LiveUpdate, Email scan and Aut-Protect on.
What might be the cause of this serious problem?

Mat

Harrison

Could be a recent update gone bad. Could be just about anything.
Try uninstalling and reinstalling NAV 2003.
Run Live Update to catch back up.

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 18:47:36 +0100, "Mat & Mia Moors"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I/m using Norton AV 2003 on an XP home machine.
>It's impossible to switch LiveUpdate, Email scan and Aut-Protect on.
>What might be the cause of this serious problem?
>
>Mat

Harrison

If it happened recently, try the System Restore function in XP.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I/m using Norton AV 2003 on an XP home machine.
>It's impossible to switch LiveUpdate, Email scan and Aut-Protect on.
>What might be the cause of this serious problem?
>
>Mat

°Mike°

The problem is called Symantec.

Anti-virus programs:
--------------------
KAV (Kaspersky)
http://www.kaspersky.com/

eZ Antivirus (Computer Associates)

Vet (Computer Associates)
http://www.vet.com.au/html/products/index.html

Sophos
http://www.sophos.com/products/software/antivirus/

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 18:47:36 +0100, in
<bu6jn0$h3j$(E-Mail Removed)1.nb.home.nl>
Mat & Mia Moors scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

MJW

Just wondering.
What antivirus do you use Mike?

MikeW

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The problem is called Symantec.
>
> Anti-virus programs:
> --------------------
> KAV (Kaspersky)
> http://www.kaspersky.com/
>
> eZ Antivirus (Computer Associates)
> http://www.my-etrust.com/products/Antivirus.cfm
>
> Vet (Computer Associates)
> http://www.vet.com.au/html/products/index.html
>
> Sophos
> http://www.sophos.com/products/software/antivirus/
>

> On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 18:47:36 +0100, in
> <bu6jn0$h3j$(E-Mail Removed)1.nb.home.nl>
> Mat & Mia Moors scrawled:
>
> >I/m using Norton AV 2003 on an XP home machine.
> >It's impossible to switch LiveUpdate, Email scan and Aut-Protect on.
> >What might be the cause of this serious problem?
> >
> >Mat
> >

> --
> Basic computer maintenance

°Mike°

I have eZ AV as my resident scanner, because of it's
small footprint. I also have KAV as my 'on demand'
scanner. After a long time of testing the popular
antivirus programs (with the exceptions of Norton and
McAfee, which I wouldn't touch with a barge pole),
KAV performs best in the detection stakes; it has
a far superior decompression system than the others;
the support is super fast. I like eZ because of it's
small size -- I still use 6.1.7 -- and it's also good in
the detection stakes, but the support sucks like you
wouldn't believe.

Don't let anybody tell you that AVG is good -- only
the price is good.

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 23:30:52 -0000, in
<bu77rj$trg$(E-Mail Removed)>
MJW scrawled:

>Just wondering.
>What antivirus do you use Mike?
>
>MikeW

<snip>

--
Basic computer maintenance

MJW

Thanks Mike.
I use Norton and the subscription is due for renewal shortly. Time for a
change I think!

MikeW
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have eZ AV as my resident scanner, because of it's
> small footprint. I also have KAV as my 'on demand'
> scanner. After a long time of testing the popular
> antivirus programs (with the exceptions of Norton and
> McAfee, which I wouldn't touch with a barge pole),
> KAV performs best in the detection stakes; it has
> a far superior decompression system than the others;
> the support is super fast. I like eZ because of it's
> small size -- I still use 6.1.7 -- and it's also good in
> the detection stakes, but the support sucks like you
> wouldn't believe.
>
> Don't let anybody tell you that AVG is good -- only
> the price is good.
>
> On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 23:30:52 -0000, in
> <bu77rj$trg$(E-Mail Removed)>
> MJW scrawled:
>
> >Just wondering.
> >What antivirus do you use Mike?
> >
> >MikeW

> <snip>
>
> --
> Basic computer maintenance

°Mike°

You will see a big difference when you are free of
that resource hog. Make sure you get rid of all
traces of it. There's a symclean utility on the
Symantec site.

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 23:49:01 -0000, in
<bu78te$41f$(E-Mail Removed)>
MJW scrawled:

>Thanks Mike.
>I use Norton and the subscription is due for renewal shortly. Time for a
>change I think!
>
>MikeW
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I have eZ AV as my resident scanner, because of it's
>> small footprint. I also have KAV as my 'on demand'
>> scanner. After a long time of testing the popular
>> antivirus programs (with the exceptions of Norton and
>> McAfee, which I wouldn't touch with a barge pole),
>> KAV performs best in the detection stakes; it has
>> a far superior decompression system than the others;
>> the support is super fast. I like eZ because of it's
>> small size -- I still use 6.1.7 -- and it's also good in
>> the detection stakes, but the support sucks like you
>> wouldn't believe.
>>
>> Don't let anybody tell you that AVG is good -- only
>> the price is good.
>>
>> On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 23:30:52 -0000, in
>> <bu77rj$trg$(E-Mail Removed)>
>> MJW scrawled:
>>
>> >Just wondering.
>> >What antivirus do you use Mike?
>> >
>> >MikeW

>> <snip>
>>
>> --
>> Basic computer maintenance

Basic computer maintenance

LO&MsLO

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 00:12:04 +0000, °Mike°
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>You will see a big difference when you are free of
>that resource hog. Make sure you get rid of all
>traces of it. There's a symclean utility on the
>Symantec site.

Which I have tried and it was useless for NSW 2002.

John

>On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 23:49:01 -0000, in
> <bu78te$41f$(E-Mail Removed)>
> MJW scrawled:
>
>>Thanks Mike.
>>I use Norton and the subscription is due for renewal shortly. Time for a
>>change I think!
>>
>>MikeW
>>"°Mike°" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I have eZ AV as my resident scanner, because of it's
>>> small footprint. I also have KAV as my 'on demand'
>>> scanner. After a long time of testing the popular
>>> antivirus programs (with the exceptions of Norton and
>>> McAfee, which I wouldn't touch with a barge pole),
>>> KAV performs best in the detection stakes; it has
>>> a far superior decompression system than the others;
>>> the support is super fast. I like eZ because of it's
>>> small size -- I still use 6.1.7 -- and it's also good in
>>> the detection stakes, but the support sucks like you
>>> wouldn't believe.
>>>
>>> Don't let anybody tell you that AVG is good -- only
>>> the price is good.
>>>
>>> On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 23:30:52 -0000, in
>>> <bu77rj$trg$(E-Mail Removed)>
>>> MJW scrawled:

>>> <snip>
>>>
>>> --
>>> Basic computer maintenance
>>> http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html

°Mike°

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 22:07:16 -0600, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
LO&MsLO scrawled:

>On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 00:12:04 +0000, °Mike°
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>You will see a big difference when you are free of
>>that resource hog. Make sure you get rid of all
>>traces of it. There's a symclean utility on the
>>Symantec site.
>>

>Which I have tried and it was useless for NSW 2002.

That about sums Symantec products up.

<snip>

--
Basic computer maintenance