Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > OT: accurately weighing objects

OT: accurately weighing objects

Steve Freides

Not computer-related.

I want to be able to accurately weigh weights (as in the kind you lift). I
need most to weigh kettlebells (see http://www.kbnj.com for a picture) but
would also like to be able to weigh such things as a barbell that's 7' long
and about 2" in diameter.

Anyone got any suggestions? Obviously there will be a price/performance
continuum here but I don't even know where to start. The kettlebell sizes I
need to weigh specifically are between 16 and 32 kg, or about 35 and 70 lbs.
Heavier than 100 lbs. wouldn't be of much use (although it would be fun) and
lighter isn't necessary.

Thanks much in advance.

-S-

-= Hawk =-

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 09:53:56 -0500, "Steve Freides"
<(E-Mail Removed)> scribbled:

>Not computer-related.
>
>I want to be able to accurately weigh weights (as in the kind you lift). I
>need most to weigh kettlebells (see http://www.kbnj.com for a picture) but
>would also like to be able to weigh such things as a barbell that's 7' long
>and about 2" in diameter.
>
>Anyone got any suggestions? Obviously there will be a price/performance
>continuum here but I don't even know where to start. The kettlebell sizes I
>need to weigh specifically are between 16 and 32 kg, or about 35 and 70 lbs.
>Heavier than 100 lbs. wouldn't be of much use (although it would be fun) and
>lighter isn't necessary.

You could probably find something here: http://www.scalesgalore.com/
or search google for digital scale like I did.

Riddles II, v3
- T. Pratchett

Steve Freides

"-= Hawk =-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 09:53:56 -0500, "Steve Freides"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> scribbled:
>
> >Not computer-related.
> >
> >I want to be able to accurately weigh weights (as in the kind you lift).

> >need most to weigh kettlebells (see http://www.kbnj.com for a picture)

but
> >would also like to be able to weigh such things as a barbell that's 7'

long
> >and about 2" in diameter.
> >
> >Anyone got any suggestions? Obviously there will be a price/performance
> >continuum here but I don't even know where to start. The kettlebell

sizes I
> >need to weigh specifically are between 16 and 32 kg, or about 35 and 70

lbs.
> >Heavier than 100 lbs. wouldn't be of much use (although it would be fun)

and
> >lighter isn't necessary.

> You could probably find something here: http://www.scalesgalore.com/
> or search google for digital scale like I did.

Nothing says that digital is best for this application, and even the sight
you point out has a myriad of choices. I'm well acquainted with Google but
was wondering if anyone had any particular expertise or experience in this
area.

-S-

> --
> 'What Profiteth It A Kingdom If The Oxen Be Deflated?'
> Riddles II, v3
> - T. Pratchett

-= Hawk =-

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 11:31:04 -0500, "Steve Freides"
<(E-Mail Removed)> scribbled:

>"-= Hawk =-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 09:53:56 -0500, "Steve Freides"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> scribbled:
>>
>> >Not computer-related.
>> >
>> >I want to be able to accurately weigh weights (as in the kind you lift).

>> >need most to weigh kettlebells (see http://www.kbnj.com for a picture)

>but
>> >would also like to be able to weigh such things as a barbell that's 7'

>long
>> >and about 2" in diameter.
>> >
>> >Anyone got any suggestions? Obviously there will be a price/performance
>> >continuum here but I don't even know where to start. The kettlebell

>sizes I
>> >need to weigh specifically are between 16 and 32 kg, or about 35 and 70

>lbs.
>> >Heavier than 100 lbs. wouldn't be of much use (although it would be fun)

>and
>> >lighter isn't necessary.

>> You could probably find something here: http://www.scalesgalore.com/
>> or search google for digital scale like I did.

>Nothing says that digital is best for this application, and even the sight

"accurately weighing objects" if you want true accuracy, you want
a digital scale.

>you point out has a myriad of choices. I'm well acquainted with Google but
>was wondering if anyone had any particular expertise or experience in this
>area.

No, you asked "Anyone got any suggestions?", I did. You're
free to take them or not.

Riddles II, v3
- T. Pratchett

Mark

"Steve Freides" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bu69j3$e4291$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> Not computer-related.
>
> I want to be able to accurately weigh weights (as in the kind you lift).

> need most to weigh kettlebells (see http://www.kbnj.com for a picture) but
> would also like to be able to weigh such things as a barbell that's 7'

long
> and about 2" in diameter.
>
> Anyone got any suggestions? Obviously there will be a price/performance
> continuum here but I don't even know where to start. The kettlebell sizes

> need to weigh specifically are between 16 and 32 kg, or about 35 and 70

lbs.
> Heavier than 100 lbs. wouldn't be of much use (although it would be fun)

and
> lighter isn't necessary.
>
> Thanks much in advance.
>
> -S-

..
This scale works great for all my needs
http://www.tanita.com/ElectronicBenchPortion.shtml

philo

"Steve Freides" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bu69j3$e4291$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> Not computer-related.
>
> I want to be able to accurately weigh weights (as in the kind you lift).

> need most to weigh kettlebells (see http://www.kbnj.com for a picture) but
> would also like to be able to weigh such things as a barbell that's 7'

long
> and about 2" in diameter.
>
> Anyone got any suggestions? Obviously there will be a price/performance
> continuum here but I don't even know where to start. The kettlebell sizes

> need to weigh specifically are between 16 and 32 kg, or about 35 and 70

lbs.
> Heavier than 100 lbs. wouldn't be of much use (although it would be fun)

and
> lighter isn't necessary.
>
> Thanks much in advance.
>
> -S-

If you want *cheap* ...any inexpensive 'bathroom' scale will
work. You can even roughly calibrate it if you have a *known* weight.
As to the 7' long bar...
if you put the entire scale on a small, rigid ...elevated platform it should
balance...
if not, you can always make a bracket and then simply subtract the weight
of it.

If you want real accuracy you will of course need a digital scale,
they have the ability to "tare" out anything such the weight of a bracket.

Bay0Wulf

<SNIP>
> > need to weigh specifically are between 16 and 32 kg, or about 35 and 70

> lbs.
> > Heavier than 100 lbs. wouldn't be of much use (although it would be fun)

> and
> > lighter isn't necessary.
> >
> > Thanks much in advance.
> >
> > -S-
> >

> If you want *cheap* ...any inexpensive 'bathroom' scale will
> work.

The old-fashioned way to do this in the construction hardware trade is to
use as good a bathroom scale as you can afford (a dual beam doctor's type
would be best) ... step on the scale ... weigh yourself ... step off and
pick up the item ... step back on ... subtract Item #1 from Item #2 and ...
voila! You have a Net Weight ... this has worked for my UPS shipments
whenever I don't want to guess and it can use something you probably already
have (Price vs. Performance)

- Bay0Wulf

CJ

Hi,

you say accurately, how accurate as that is the main cost factor in
choosing a weighing scale.

If the true weight was 32Kg then is a meausured weight of 31.75Kg to
32.25Kg acceptable? what do you need?

Do you really want accuracy or do you just want reproducibility ie. if
you weigh the same weight 10 times do you get the same result within a
certain percentage error?

I think we could be more help if you state the level of accuracy you
require and what your ultimate goal is.

A good set of digital bathroom scales from a reputable manufacturer will
easily weigh to within 200g and will be reproducible.

To weigh the barbell you weigh yoursef and then weigh yourself again
holding it on the scales. Do this a few times to gain a good average
result.

CJ

"Steve Freides" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bu69j3$e4291$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> Not computer-related.
>
> I want to be able to accurately weigh weights (as in the kind you

lift). I
> need most to weigh kettlebells (see http://www.kbnj.com for a picture)

but
> would also like to be able to weigh such things as a barbell that's 7'

long
> and about 2" in diameter.
>
> Anyone got any suggestions? Obviously there will be a

price/performance
> continuum here but I don't even know where to start. The kettlebell

sizes I
> need to weigh specifically are between 16 and 32 kg, or about 35 and

70 lbs.
> Heavier than 100 lbs. wouldn't be of much use (although it would be

fun) and
> lighter isn't necessary.
>
> Thanks much in advance.
>
> -S-

Unwashed

Steve Freides wrote:

> Not computer-related.
>
> I want to be able to accurately weigh weights (as in the kind you
> lift). I need most to weigh kettlebells (see http://www.kbnj.com for
> a picture) but would also like to be able to weigh such things as a
> barbell that's 7' long and about 2" in diameter.
>
> Anyone got any suggestions? Obviously there will be a
> price/performance continuum here but I don't even know where to
> start. The kettlebell sizes I need to weigh specifically are between
> 16 and 32 kg, or about 35 and 70 lbs. Heavier than 100 lbs. wouldn't
> be of much use (although it would be fun) and lighter isn't necessary.

Go to just about any local department store and purchase a digital bathroom
scale.

Weigh yourself.

Record weight.

Pick up a kettlebell, barbell, or whatever, and weigh yourself again.
Record weight.

Do math.

Repeat as needed.

CJ

> "accurately weighing objects" if you want true accuracy, you want
> a digital scale.

Hi,

accuracy does not come from it being digital. Accuracy comes from it
being correctly calibrated with traceable weights. I think you need to
distinguish between acuuracy and reproduciblity. A digital scale could
give you a result of 10.250Kg over and over again but it doesn't mean it
is accurate as the calibration may be incorrect. An old mechanical
balance that you can read to 10.2Kg may be the more accurate result
because it has a correct and newer calibration.

CJ