Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > winlogon.exe

winlogon.exe

Jay

I've been having troubles with my PC recently. Details below.
At the moment when Windows starts the HDD chugs away for quite a while.
I go into task manager and see that winlogon.exe is taking about 30% of the
CPU.
This goes on for about 3 minutes before it stops (this was never the case
before).

PC details:
Standalone Win2k Pro.
Always log on as same user.
Very few TSRs (mainly Kerio firewall and AVG anti-virus)
1.1GHz chip
256MB RAM
30GB W/D HDD (NTFS)

PC Problem history:
PC will hang (often) only resolution is the reset button.
Happens regardless if I'm sitting at the PC. Happens regardless of what apps
are running.
Sometimes it won't happen for 2 hours, sometimes after 2 minutes.
I wondered if it was a Windows problem but it has happened during POST.
I have opened the case and given it a good blast of air to remove all dust.
I have checked that all cards are seated.
I've run chkdisk and scandisk - both report no problems.

I'm wondering if the hanging and the lenghty winlogon process at windows
start-up could be HDD related?
Hanging because the HDD has responded badly to a read/write request.
Winlogon.exe taking an age due to slow read/write?
All guess work.

Any ideas?
Jay

---
Yo! outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.

°Mike°

Check for overheating and bad RAM. Also, your suggestion
about physical defects on the hard drive could also be a
factor.

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 12:21:01 +1300, in
<V5%Mb.11101$(E-Mail Removed)>
Jay scrawled:

>I've been having troubles with my PC recently. Details below.
>At the moment when Windows starts the HDD chugs away for quite a while.
>I go into task manager and see that winlogon.exe is taking about 30% of the
>CPU.
>This goes on for about 3 minutes before it stops (this was never the case
>before).
>
>PC details:
>Standalone Win2k Pro.
>Always log on as same user.
>Very few TSRs (mainly Kerio firewall and AVG anti-virus)
>1.1GHz chip
>256MB RAM
>30GB W/D HDD (NTFS)
>
>PC Problem history:
>PC will hang (often) only resolution is the reset button.
>Happens regardless if I'm sitting at the PC. Happens regardless of what apps
>are running.
>Sometimes it won't happen for 2 hours, sometimes after 2 minutes.
>I wondered if it was a Windows problem but it has happened during POST.
>I have opened the case and given it a good blast of air to remove all dust.
>I have checked that all cards are seated.
>I've run chkdisk and scandisk - both report no problems.
>
>I'm wondering if the hanging and the lenghty winlogon process at windows
>start-up could be HDD related?
>Hanging because the HDD has responded badly to a read/write request.
>Winlogon.exe taking an age due to slow read/write?
>All guess work.
>
>Any ideas?
>Jay
>

>---
>Yo! outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.

Basic computer maintenance

Jay

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Check for overheating and bad RAM. Also, your suggestion
> about physical defects on the hard drive could also be a
> factor.

Cheers Mike.
I have some freeware version of SiSoftware Sandra which tells me "stuff"
Only thing is, I'm not 100% what I'm reading!
It says:

Processor
Model : AMD Athlon(tm) Processor
Speed : 1.10GHz
Model Number : 1102 (estimated)
Performance Rating : PR1466 (estimated)
Type : Standard
Package : Socket A PGA
Multiplier : 11/1x
Generation : G7
Name : Athlon M4 (Thunderbird) 650-1.4GHz 1.7-1.8V
Revision/Stepping : 4 / 2 (0)
Stepping Mask : A4..A8
Core Voltage Rating : 1.750V
Maximum Physical / Virtual Addressing : 36-bit / 32-bit
Power Rating(s)
CPU Core Power : 160W (estimated)
Sensors
Auto Fan Speed Control : No
CPU Fan Speed : 5075rpm
CPU Voltage : 3.10V

Performance Tips
Notice 224 : SMBIOS/DMI information may be inaccurate.
Warning 2528 : System monitor device implementation is known to vary.
Warning 236 : Vcore higher than rated maximum. Check Vcore setting!

I haven't done any overclocking.
Any ideas?

Jay

> On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 12:21:01 +1300, in
> <V5%Mb.11101$(E-Mail Removed)>
> Jay scrawled:
>
> >I've been having troubles with my PC recently. Details below.
> >At the moment when Windows starts the HDD chugs away for quite a while.
> >I go into task manager and see that winlogon.exe is taking about 30% of

the
> >CPU.
> >This goes on for about 3 minutes before it stops (this was never the case
> >before).
> >
> >PC details:
> >Standalone Win2k Pro.
> >Always log on as same user.
> >Very few TSRs (mainly Kerio firewall and AVG anti-virus)
> >1.1GHz chip
> >256MB RAM
> >30GB W/D HDD (NTFS)
> >
> >PC Problem history:
> >PC will hang (often) only resolution is the reset button.
> >Happens regardless if I'm sitting at the PC. Happens regardless of what

apps
> >are running.
> >Sometimes it won't happen for 2 hours, sometimes after 2 minutes.
> >I wondered if it was a Windows problem but it has happened during POST.
> >I have opened the case and given it a good blast of air to remove all

dust.
> >I have checked that all cards are seated.
> >I've run chkdisk and scandisk - both report no problems.
> >
> >I'm wondering if the hanging and the lenghty winlogon process at windows
> >start-up could be HDD related?
> >Hanging because the HDD has responded badly to a read/write request.
> >Winlogon.exe taking an age due to slow read/write?
> >All guess work.
> >
> >Any ideas?
> >Jay
> >

> >---
> >Yo! outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.

> Basic computer maintenance

---
Yo! outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.

Jay

outgoing sig off
Off to look at AIDA

Jay

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> SiSoft Sandra is a pile of crap. Try Aida32 instead.
> http://www.aida32.hu/aida32.php
>
> And please turn off the borked AVG sig. -- it serves no purpose,
> other than to advertise for Grisoft.
>
> Right click the AVG icon in the system tray and select the
> E-mail scanner tab. Uncheck 'Certify Outgoing Messages'.
> Apply / OK.
>

> On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 13:01:43 +1300, in
> <5I%Mb.11134$(E-Mail Removed)>
> Jay scrawled:
>

> >"°Mike°" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Check for overheating and bad RAM. Also, your suggestion
> >> about physical defects on the hard drive could also be a
> >> factor.

> >Cheers Mike.
> >I have some freeware version of SiSoftware Sandra which tells me "stuff"
> >Only thing is, I'm not 100% what I'm reading!
> >It says:

> <snip>
>
> --
> Basic computer maintenance

°Mike°

SiSoft Sandra is a pile of crap. Try Aida32 instead.
http://www.aida32.hu/aida32.php

And please turn off the borked AVG sig. -- it serves no purpose,
other than to advertise for Grisoft.

Right click the AVG icon in the system tray and select the
E-mail scanner tab. Uncheck 'Certify Outgoing Messages'.
Apply / OK.

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 13:01:43 +1300, in
<5I%Mb.11134$(E-Mail Removed)>
Jay scrawled:

>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Check for overheating and bad RAM. Also, your suggestion
>> about physical defects on the hard drive could also be a
>> factor.

>Cheers Mike.
>I have some freeware version of SiSoftware Sandra which tells me "stuff"
>Only thing is, I'm not 100% what I'm reading!
>It says:

<snip>

--
Basic computer maintenance

Jay

"Jay" <qpr@*spamfree*xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
news:IR%Mb.11145$(E-Mail Removed)...
> outgoing sig off
> Off to look at AIDA

If I can get my PC to stay on it's feet long enough for the d/l to complete
Grrrrr!

> Jay

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > SiSoft Sandra is a pile of crap. Try Aida32 instead.
> > http://www.aida32.hu/aida32.php
> >
> > And please turn off the borked AVG sig. -- it serves no purpose,
> > other than to advertise for Grisoft.
> >
> > Right click the AVG icon in the system tray and select the
> > E-mail scanner tab. Uncheck 'Certify Outgoing Messages'.
> > Apply / OK.
> >

> > On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 13:01:43 +1300, in
> > <5I%Mb.11134$(E-Mail Removed)>
> > Jay scrawled:
> >

> > >"°Mike°" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > >news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > >
> > >Cheers Mike.
> > >I have some freeware version of SiSoftware Sandra which tells me

"stuff"
> > >Only thing is, I'm not 100% what I'm reading!
> > >It says:

> > <snip>
> >
> > --
> > Basic computer maintenance

Jay

ok so I d/l AIDA
What do I need to do in order for it to test my CPU/MOBO/HDD in order to
find any potential problems?
I would RTFM but the help menu contains only 'contact' and 'about'

Jay

"Jay" <qpr@*spamfree*xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
news:6q0Nb.11176$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Jay" <qpr@*spamfree*xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
> news:IR%Mb.11145$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > outgoing sig off
> > Off to look at AIDA

> If I can get my PC to stay on it's feet long enough for the d/l to

complete
> Grrrrr!
>

> > Jay
> >
> > "°Mike°" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > SiSoft Sandra is a pile of crap. Try Aida32 instead.
> > > http://www.aida32.hu/aida32.php
> > >
> > > And please turn off the borked AVG sig. -- it serves no purpose,
> > > other than to advertise for Grisoft.
> > >
> > > Right click the AVG icon in the system tray and select the
> > > E-mail scanner tab. Uncheck 'Certify Outgoing Messages'.
> > > Apply / OK.
> > >

> > > On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 13:01:43 +1300, in
> > > <5I%Mb.11134$(E-Mail Removed)>
> > > Jay scrawled:

> "stuff"
> > >
> > > <snip>
> > >
> > > --
> > > Basic computer maintenance
> > > http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html

°Mike°

Computer / Sensor -- that will tell you your temperatures.

Check your RAM also. Have somebody download these for you,
if necessary.

WinDiag
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

DocMemory
http://www.docmemory.com/PAGE/products/doc/docinfo.asp

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 14:10:06 +1300, in
<cI0Nb.11197$(E-Mail Removed)>
Jay scrawled:

>ok so I d/l AIDA
>What do I need to do in order for it to test my CPU/MOBO/HDD in order to
>find any potential problems?
>I would RTFM but the help menu contains only 'contact' and 'about'
>
>Jay

<snip>

--
Basic computer maintenance

Jay

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Computer / Sensor -- that will tell you your temperatures.

Continued thanks Mike.
This is what it says, as I said they mean nothing to me (as a software
developer!)

Aux = 22c (72f)
cpu fan = 5000 RPM
CPU Core = 3.04v
+2.5v = 3.04v
+3.3v = 3.33v
+5v = 6.31v
+12v = 15.29v

> Check your RAM also. Have somebody download these for you,
> if necessary.
>
> WinDiag
> http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
>
> DocMemory
> http://www.docmemory.com/PAGE/products/doc/docinfo.asp

Will check them now - cheers

Jay

°Mike°

Woah! You're voltages seem way out. Is this unit overclocked?
What about your CPU temperature? You never posted that.
I suggest you start reading your motherboard manual, specifically
about the voltages, and how to check/change them.

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 14:23:30 +1300, in
<KU0Nb.11217$(E-Mail Removed)>
Jay scrawled:

--