Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Energy Star Power Management - Hard Drive and System Standby

Energy Star Power Management - Hard Drive and System Standby

I Are Confused

I am trying to figure out why my system will not go into system
standby and then turn off the hard disks. I am testing for a possible
move on our systems to a set up that would allow the computer to
"hibernate" after so many hours of non use. We already use the
Monitor turn off to take effect after 15 minutes normally. I have set
the "System Standby" to go into effect after 3 minutes, the "Monitor"
to turn off after 2 minutes, and the "Hard Disks" to turn off after 5
minutes. I have my system standby advanced features to prompt for
password when the computer goes off stand by. I am thinking that I
would be able to confirm that the system went into standby if the
password prompt comes up. I am running a Windows 98 operating system
2nd edition on a Dell Dimension XPS computer. I do not have the
hibernate tab available on my power management set up. I have checked
my BIOS and do not see any type of setting for the power management
and since my monitor shutdown is working I would assume that the other
portions of the program should also.
Does anyone have any suggestions on the settings for this to get it to
work. Thanks

°Mike°

Check your motherboard manual on how to set the power
management in your BIOS. Also make sure that Advanced
Power Management is installed in Windows.

On 13 Jan 2004 15:14:19 -0800, in
<(E-Mail Removed) >
I Are Confused scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

I Are Confused

Thanks Mike. In trying to verify that I had the Advanced Power
Management installed I searched and found a pmtshoot.exe tool that
monitors the process as it happens and logs to a text file. I
verified through the same site that I had the advanced management set
up and then started the tool. Based on the tool's log file, it
appears to be shutting down. I am still not seeing the request for
password when it comes out of standby, so I am concerned that I am not
looking correctly for the signs of the stand by mode or the hard disks
turn off. I was asked this question, so I will ask you, how do you
know the hard disks have turned off? My come back was that I could
hear it, but I am not hearing a change in the noise level from the
unit, so I am not sure how to answer that question. Can you possibly
help on this. Thanks

°Mike° <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Check your motherboard manual on how to set the power
> management in your BIOS. Also make sure that Advanced
> Power Management is installed in Windows.
>

> On 13 Jan 2004 15:14:19 -0800, in
> <(E-Mail Removed) >
> I Are Confused scrawled:
>
> >I am trying to figure out why my system will not go into system
> >standby and then turn off the hard disks. I am testing for a possible
> >move on our systems to a set up that would allow the computer to
> >"hibernate" after so many hours of non use. We already use the
> >Monitor turn off to take effect after 15 minutes normally. I have set
> >the "System Standby" to go into effect after 3 minutes, the "Monitor"
> >to turn off after 2 minutes, and the "Hard Disks" to turn off after 5
> >minutes. I have my system standby advanced features to prompt for
> >password when the computer goes off stand by. I am thinking that I
> >would be able to confirm that the system went into standby if the
> >password prompt comes up. I am running a Windows 98 operating system
> >2nd edition on a Dell Dimension XPS computer. I do not have the
> >hibernate tab available on my power management set up. I have checked
> >my BIOS and do not see any type of setting for the power management
> >and since my monitor shutdown is working I would assume that the other
> >portions of the program should also.
> >Does anyone have any suggestions on the settings for this to get it to
> >work. Thanks

°Mike°

If the drives are powering off, you should be able to
here the difference. Though why you want to power
your drives off, I don't know. Is this a laptop?

On 14 Jan 2004 09:11:40 -0800, in
<(E-Mail Removed) >
I Are Confused scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

I Are Confused

I would prefer to not power the hard drives off. This is a desktop
and a company idea to possibly save money. I have tried to find
documentation to show that Hard Drive powering down is not a good
route, but I have not to this point found any good back up. We chose
to put our monitors into sleep mode after no use of 15 minutes to save
on energy costs a few months back. My experience at that point was
that most 98 machines do not go well into stand by mode. I have seen
these machines unable to come out of stand by mode and a re-boot is
required. I am testing on both a 98 and a 2000 machine to see the
outcome. I am not able to hear the difference on the 98 machine of it
going into System standby through the power management or the hard
drives turning off. If at the log off screen I put the machine into
system standby, the machine will require a password when the mouse is
clicked. So I know that it is in stand by mode. It will not require
one when I let the power management put it into stand by. In system
standby, the machine does not turn off the hard drives - is this
correct? I am testing on the 2000 machine today. The tool I
installed is not showing any problems with the power management on the
98 machine. I am needing to verify that the 98 machine is in stand by
mode so that I can ensure that our nightly scans on network computers
are not effected and we are still able to connect to the computers
through VPN connections or modems while in stand by mode. Thanks for
your help so far and any more you can give!

°Mike° <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> If the drives are powering off, you should be able to
> here the difference. Though why you want to power
> your drives off, I don't know. Is this a laptop?
>

> On 14 Jan 2004 09:11:40 -0800, in
> <(E-Mail Removed) >
> I Are Confused scrawled:
>
> >Thanks Mike. In trying to verify that I had the Advanced Power
> >Management installed I searched and found a pmtshoot.exe tool that
> >monitors the process as it happens and logs to a text file. I
> >verified through the same site that I had the advanced management set
> >up and then started the tool. Based on the tool's log file, it
> >appears to be shutting down. I am still not seeing the request for
> >password when it comes out of standby, so I am concerned that I am not
> >looking correctly for the signs of the stand by mode or the hard disks
> >turn off. I was asked this question, so I will ask you, how do you
> >know the hard disks have turned off? My come back was that I could
> >hear it, but I am not hearing a change in the noise level from the
> >unit, so I am not sure how to answer that question. Can you possibly
> >help on this. Thanks
> >

> >°Mike° <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> >> Check your motherboard manual on how to set the power
> >> management in your BIOS. Also make sure that Advanced
> >> Power Management is installed in Windows.
> >>

> >> On 13 Jan 2004 15:14:19 -0800, in
> >> <(E-Mail Removed) >
> >> I Are Confused scrawled:

°Mike°

You company *may* be incurring extra costs by continually
powering components on and off, rather than saving money.
Turning components on and off produces power surges which
can be damaging to components over and extended period.
Monitors should be sent to sleep when not in use, as they
tend to take up most of the electrical current, and the tubes
have less of a life span (generally) than other components.
Hard drives (IMO) tend to wear out much quicker when
faced with continual switching on and off; not to mention
the risk of data loss when your system refuses to return
from standby, and/or your drives fail to awaken.

On 15 Jan 2004 06:43:30 -0800, in
<(E-Mail Removed) >
I Are Confused scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

I Are Confused

Thanks Mike I have passed this on. Also in my testing I found that I
could not scan the computer with our antivirus scan engine while the
machine was in stand by mode no matter what I set in the Bios and the
power management console. I think that will clinch it for sure.
Thanks for all your help!!!!!!!!

°Mike° <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> You company *may* be incurring extra costs by continually
> powering components on and off, rather than saving money.
> Turning components on and off produces power surges which
> can be damaging to components over and extended period.
> Monitors should be sent to sleep when not in use, as they
> tend to take up most of the electrical current, and the tubes
> have less of a life span (generally) than other components.
> Hard drives (IMO) tend to wear out much quicker when
> faced with continual switching on and off; not to mention
> the risk of data loss when your system refuses to return
> from standby, and/or your drives fail to awaken.
>

> On 15 Jan 2004 06:43:30 -0800, in
> <(E-Mail Removed) >
> I Are Confused scrawled:
>
> >I would prefer to not power the hard drives off. This is a desktop
> >and a company idea to possibly save money. I have tried to find
> >documentation to show that Hard Drive powering down is not a good
> >route, but I have not to this point found any good back up. We chose
> >to put our monitors into sleep mode after no use of 15 minutes to save
> >on energy costs a few months back. My experience at that point was
> >that most 98 machines do not go well into stand by mode. I have seen
> >these machines unable to come out of stand by mode and a re-boot is
> >required. I am testing on both a 98 and a 2000 machine to see the
> >outcome. I am not able to hear the difference on the 98 machine of it
> >going into System standby through the power management or the hard
> >drives turning off. If at the log off screen I put the machine into
> >system standby, the machine will require a password when the mouse is
> >clicked. So I know that it is in stand by mode. It will not require
> >one when I let the power management put it into stand by. In system
> >standby, the machine does not turn off the hard drives - is this
> >correct? I am testing on the 2000 machine today. The tool I
> >installed is not showing any problems with the power management on the
> >98 machine. I am needing to verify that the 98 machine is in stand by
> >mode so that I can ensure that our nightly scans on network computers
> >are not effected and we are still able to connect to the computers
> >through VPN connections or modems while in stand by mode. Thanks for
> >your help so far and any more you can give!
> >
> >°Mike° <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> >> If the drives are powering off, you should be able to
> >> here the difference. Though why you want to power
> >> your drives off, I don't know. Is this a laptop?
> >>

> >> On 14 Jan 2004 09:11:40 -0800, in
> >> <(E-Mail Removed) >
> >> I Are Confused scrawled:

°Mike°