Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Help installing USB Printer

Help installing USB Printer

Experienced but Undocumented

Trying to install a Lexmark Z42 on USB. The computer is running Windows 98,
and other USB devices work on this computer.

When I run the printer's setup program, I have two port options: LPT1 and
File.

When the printer is plugged into the computer, Windows detects the USB
device, but installs it as "%USB\UKNOWN.DeviceDesc%" (And btw...it is
UKNOWN...not UNKNOWN)

When I use Device Manager to reinstall the drivers, I select the folder
where the drivers are stored and Windows says "The specified location does
not contain information about your hardware."

Any ideas?
TIA
Graham

dg

1. Run the install software first, don't plug the printer in
2. Make sure u finish the installation even the printer is not plugin
3. Shutdown, Plug printer and restart.

that should solve your problem

"Experienced but Undocumented" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Trying to install a Lexmark Z42 on USB. The computer is running Windows

98,
> and other USB devices work on this computer.
>
> When I run the printer's setup program, I have two port options: LPT1 and
> File.
>
> When the printer is plugged into the computer, Windows detects the USB
> device, but installs it as "%USB\UKNOWN.DeviceDesc%" (And btw...it is
> UKNOWN...not UNKNOWN)
>
> When I use Device Manager to reinstall the drivers, I select the folder
> where the drivers are stored and Windows says "The specified location does
> not contain information about your hardware."
>
> Any ideas?
> TIA
> Graham

SLP

"Experienced but Undocumented" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Trying to install a Lexmark Z42 on USB. The computer is running Windows

98,
> and other USB devices work on this computer.
>
> When I run the printer's setup program, I have two port options: LPT1 and
> File.
>
> When the printer is plugged into the computer, Windows detects the USB
> device, but installs it as "%USB\UKNOWN.DeviceDesc%" (And btw...it is
> UKNOWN...not UNKNOWN)
>
> When I use Device Manager to reinstall the drivers, I select the folder
> where the drivers are stored and Windows says "The specified location does
> not contain information about your hardware."
>
> Any ideas?
> TIA
> Graham

I've seen this happen several times with Lexmark's.

Unplug the Printer cable from the PC and uninstall the Lexmark printer
driver and software - either from Start / Programs / Lexmark or from the
Control Panel.

Reboot and place the Printer driver CD in the drive, but *do not* run it.

Connect the USB cable and the PC should find and load the drivers
automatically.

If it still doesn't work, remove the cable again, uninstall the drivers and
reboot. Run the Printer Driver CD and connect the cable when prompted on
screen. Sometimes on the second go, it just works.

SLP

Experienced but Undocumented

"dg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4bFMb.6736$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> 1. Run the install software first, don't plug the printer in
> 2. Make sure u finish the installation even the printer is not plugin
> 3. Shutdown, Plug printer and restart.

I tried, but it only lets me select LPT1 and File.

Graham