Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > XP frozen

XP frozen

Martik

My son clicked on the Yahoo search icon in IE6 and now XP is unusable.
It boots up and displays all the icons but any program you launch either
does not start or starts and freezes. I booted up in safe mode and ran
spybot and AVG virus checks but still no change. I guess I'll have to
reinstall again!

SLP

"Martik" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> My son clicked on the Yahoo search icon in IE6 and now XP is unusable.
> It boots up and displays all the icons but any program you launch either
> does not start or starts and freezes. I booted up in safe mode and ran
> spybot and AVG virus checks but still no change. I guess I'll have to
> reinstall again!

Have you tried the System Restore tool? It's always worth trying that before
doing a reinstall - you may need to run it in Safe Mode though.

I doubt 'clicking on the Yahoo search icon' caused the problem either -
things like that are usually just an unfortunately timed coincidence.

SLP

°Mike°

Try system restore and/or the recovery console.

HOW TO Restore the Operating System to a Previous
State in Windows XP

HOW TO Install and Use the Recovery Console in Windows XP

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 19:42:04 GMT, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Martik scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Trax

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 19:42:04 GMT, Martik <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>My son clicked on the Yahoo search icon in IE6 and now XP is unusable.
|>It boots up and displays all the icons but any program you launch either
|>does not start or starts and freezes. I booted up in safe mode and ran
|>spybot and AVG virus checks but still no change. I guess I'll have to
|>reinstall again!

If a system restore doesn't work, create a new user and use that account from
now on.

Sometimes the NTUSER.DAT file goes bad.
--
,,
( "> w

Compiling xpython: No rule to make target `runathana.py', needed by `frozen/frozen.c'. est Python 1 10-11-2010 03:35 AM
Frozen Firefox? John Firefox 1 07-21-2005 10:41 PM
System Frozen while updating argus Microsoft Certification 0 08-17-2004 03:11 PM
Catalyst 4506 frozen and losing startup-config jmark Cisco 0 04-28-2004 06:10 AM
Frozen string problem, but I haven't frozen anything? LC Geldenhuys Ruby 5 02-18-2004 08:13 AM

Advertisments