Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Power supply noise

Power supply noise

-= Hawk =-

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 12:43:20 -0500, Harrison <Harrison> scribbled:

>On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 12:32:50 -0500, "Sab" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Hi
>>I know I have to buy a new one but I don't know which one.

>300 watt or higher. ATX.

Didn't he say it was an AT board?

>><Harrison> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>> Probably the fan in the PS.
>>> These can be serviced and or replaced by skilled technicians.
>>> You may want to just buy a new one.

>>of

>>this

>>couple

>>it

Riddles II, v3
- T. Pratchett

-= Hawk =-

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 17:55:34 -0000, "Brian H"
<(E-Mail Removed)-vine.co.uk.invalid> scribbled:

>Sab said:
>
>> Hi
>> I did clean the fan this morning, before "whacking" the power supply.

>OK, how did you clean it?
>Did you take the fan out, or did you just blow on it?

You're really not advocating that the average user should
crack opena power supply to clean a fan, are you?

Riddles II, v3
- T. Pratchett

Sab

Hi
I just opened the power supply, took the fan out and cleaned it (not just
blew on it). After than, I switched my pc on and the noise is still here!

"Brian H" <(E-Mail Removed)-vine.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
news:lcBMb.2000$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Sab said:
>
> > Hi
> > I did clean the fan this morning, before "whacking" the power supply.

> OK, how did you clean it?
> Did you take the fan out, or did you just blow on it?
>

> > "Brian H" <(E-Mail Removed)-vine.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
> > news:yJAMb.1983$(E-Mail Removed)...

out of

pc

this

couple

but I

does it

and

> >> Oh boy, you had a noise from the power supply, so you cleaned the pc.
> >> The noise came back so you opened the case and whacked the power

supply.
> >> Er.... the noise is the power supply fan, have you tried cleaning it.

Sab

Hi
What's the difference between AT and ATX?

"-= Hawk =-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 12:43:20 -0500, Harrison <Harrison> scribbled:
>
> >On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 12:32:50 -0500, "Sab" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >>Hi
> >>I know I have to buy a new one but I don't know which one.

> >300 watt or higher. ATX.

> Didn't he say it was an AT board?
>
> >><Harrison> wrote in message
> >>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

out
> >>of

my pc

making
> >>this
> >>couple

but

does
> >>it

and

> --
> 'What Profiteth It A Kingdom If The Oxen Be Deflated?'
> Riddles II, v3
> - T. Pratchett

ICee

Sab wrote:
> Hi
> What's the difference between AT and ATX?

Your motherboard uses an ATX power supply. AT is an older style of
power supply and uses a different plug for the motherboard voltages.

> "-= Hawk =-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>>> 300 watt or higher. ATX.

>> Didn't he say it was an AT board?

>> --
>> 'What Profiteth It A Kingdom If The Oxen Be Deflated?'
>> Riddles II, v3
>> - T. Pratchett

Douglas Adams

Tergiversative

Sab wrote:
> Hi
> This morning, I switched my pc on and I noticed a loud noise coming out of
> the power supply. I already had that about a month ago so I cleaned my pc
> and it went away. But today I cleaned it again and it was still making this
> noise. I had to open the case and hit the top of the power supply a couple
> of times to make it stop! I think I have to replace the power supply but I
> don't know what kind I can install.
> I have a Deer DR-250C (250W AT). Can I install a 300W (or more) and does it
> have to be AT or can it be ATX? Could someone explain the differences and
> give me some advice on which power supply I should buy? Thanks.
>
> Config:
> Gigabyte GA-6VA motherboard
> PIII 500Mhz
> 256Mb SDRAM
> 120Gb Western Digital Caviar hard drive
> Creative 52x CDRom
> LG 12x8x32x CDWriter
> S3 Savage4 video card
> SoundBlaster 128 sound card
> DLink Eternet PCI
> Win98se
>
> Sab.

Actually the easiest way to find a compatible power supply is usually to
just match up the plugs that go to the motherboard, to make sure you have
a compatible power supply. And if you look around, you can probably get a
new one for $20-25 max, whereas it's not a particularly good idea to do
more than you've done in taking things apart when you don't know what
you're doing. The power supply mounts with just a few screws, so it is
fairly easy to replace. Take the old one out and bring it with you when
you go shopping.

One thing I want to caution -- be very careful if the system gets very
quiet! A lot of people assume this means everything is now OK ... when
actually it usually means the PS fan has stopped running, and the system
can overheat and cause *serious* damage to other, much more expensive,
components.

-- DE