Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > admin problems

admin problems

Rifleman

"LO&MsLO" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 20:48:49 GMT, "Gary G. Taylor"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >LO&MsLO wrote:

rights

Under

> >> XP I should have said that. No luck.. When I esc\alt\del at the
> >> Windows XP splash I still go to the usual screen with the three
> >> accounts on it.

> >Perhaps because the instruction was to hit CONTROL-Alt-Delete twice,

rather
> >than ESCAPE-Alt-Delete?
> >
> >"When all else fails, try following directions."

> I did hit ctrl/del. (I don't rempber saying I hit ESCAPE. In fact
> I've been using ctrl\alt\del for the 14 years I've had a computer.
> Pehaps it doesn't work because ther is no administrator on this
> computer. When I installed it I passed over the option of having an
> administrator. There is no need for an administrator on a home
> computer. At least not in my house.

as far as I know you CANNOT avoid having the in-built Administrator account
when you install XP.
Try pressing Ctl-Alt-Del TWICE to bring up the W2K style log-in box and then
type "administrator" in the user name box and leave the password blank.

Brian H供

LO&MsLO said:

> On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 20:48:49 GMT, "Gary G. Taylor"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> LO&MsLO wrote:

>>> XP I should have said that. No luck.. When I esc\alt\del at the
>>> Windows XP splash I still go to the usual screen with the three
>>> accounts on it.

>> Perhaps because the instruction was to hit CONTROL-Alt-Delete twice, rather
>> than ESCAPE-Alt-Delete?
>>
>> "When all else fails, try following directions."

> I did hit ctrl/del. (I don't rempber saying I hit ESCAPE. In fact
> I've been using ctrl\alt\del for the 14 years I've had a computer.
> Pehaps it doesn't work because ther is no administrator on this
> computer. When I installed it I passed over the option of having an
> administrator. There is no need for an administrator on a home
> computer. At least not in my house.

Well, Bill gates *insists* that you have an Admin take responsibility for the
control of your PC.
Even if an atom bomb took out everyone within a radius of 500 miles of your
home, and you are the only person who survived the nuclear holocaust.
It's the law.

LO&MsLO

btw..what makes you think I would hit escape\alt\delete?

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>LO&MsLO wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 17:33:44 -0000, "Rifleman" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>"LO&MsLO" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed) ...

>>>In Home boot up in Safe Mode. In Pro, at the welcome screen press
>>>Ctl-Alt-Del twice.

>> XP I should have said that. No luck.. When I esc\alt\del at the
>> Windows XP splash I still go to the usual screen with the three
>> accounts on it.

>Perhaps because the instruction was to hit CONTROL-Alt-Delete twice, rather
>than ESCAPE-Alt-Delete?
>
>"When all else fails, try following directions."

ICee

LO&MsLO wrote:
> btw..what makes you think I would hit escape\alt\delete?

>>> XP I should have said that. No luck.. When I esc\alt\del at the
>>> Windows XP splash I still go to the usual screen with the three
>>> accounts on it.

> On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 20:48:49 GMT, "Gary G. Taylor"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> LO&MsLO wrote:

>>> XP I should have said that. No luck.. When I esc\alt\del at the
>>> Windows XP splash I still go to the usual screen with the three
>>> accounts on it.

>> Perhaps because the instruction was to hit CONTROL-Alt-Delete twice,
>> rather than ESCAPE-Alt-Delete?
>>
>> "When all else fails, try following directions."

Douglas Adams

Brian H供

LO&MsLO said:

> btw..what makes you think I would hit escape\alt\delete?

Because that is what you typed, take a look again below.

> On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 20:48:49 GMT, "Gary G. Taylor"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> LO&MsLO wrote:

>>> XP I should have said that. No luck.. When I esc\alt\del at the

.................................................. .................^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^

LO&MsLO

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 12:55:06 -0600, LO&MsLO <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> [...]
>>wrote:

>>>There is no place to 'log in' as administrator. Only three names
>>>there...mine, my wife and my daughters. As I said I didn't create an
>>>administrator when I installed the OS.

>>The administrator account is a built-in account and it is there by
>>default. If you didn't assign it a password then the password is
>>probably blank.
>>You are going to have to log in as the admin. or another account
>>listed as having admin. rights in order to change the rights assigned
>>to your own profile.
>>Log in as your wife or daughter.
>>Click <Start> <Run> and type in "compmgmt.msc /s" without the quotes.
>>In the left pane of the computer management console, expand the Local
>>Users and Groups section by clicking the + sign.
>>Click the Users folder.
>>In the pane on the right, there will be a list of users.
>>Locate your user account and right click it, and choose Properties.
>>On the resulting Window, click the "Member Of" tab.
>>Select any existing group memberships and click the remove button.
>>Click the Add button.
>>Click Advanced.
>>Click Find Now
>>Choose Administrators from the list and click OK.
>>Click OK until you've closed all dialogs.
>>Log off.
>>Log back on as yourself.
>>Do things.
>>

>>>Where these Administrator Rights are coming from I have no idea

>In the pane on the right, there will be a list of users.
>Locate your user account and right click it, and choose Properties.
>On the resulting Window, click the "Member Of" tab.
>

>In users I have:
>Admin
>me
>Guest
>daughter
>HelpAssis
>wife
>Support
>

>For all of us (me,wife,daughter) It says: Member of ADMINISTRATORS
>

>Select any existing group memberships and click the remove button.
>
>under groups I have Administrators
> Back up operators
> Guests
> Network Config
> Power Users
> Remote Desktop Users
> Replicator
> Users
> HelpServicesGroup
>
>delete thisgroup?
>
>Click the Add button.
>
>Right click in either pane..no add button. Local Users and Groups
>hilited..no add button. If I hilite Users I can add a new user. If I
>hilte groups I can add a new group. All three of us are already
>listed as administrators.
>
>Click Advanced.
>
>Can't find Advanced if I can't find Add
>Click Find Now
>Choose Administrators from the list and click OK.
>Click OK until you've closed all dialogs.

Finally got to the Administrator screen. The Ctrl on the left side of
the keyboard is bad. I don't have ot use it much and hadn't noticed
it. Logged on as Adminstrator. Tried to open setup.exe of NAV. Same
thing, No rights. ALL users are logged in as Administrators. I'm
stumped here.

John

LO&MsLO

Typo. Been hitting ctrl\alt\del sense 3.1

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 22:43:04 -0000, "Brian H供"
<(E-Mail Removed)-vine.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

>LO&MsLO said:
>
>> btw..what makes you think I would hit escape\alt\delete?

>Because that is what you typed, take a look again below.
>

>> On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 20:48:49 GMT, "Gary G. Taylor"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>................................................. .................^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>^^^^

Tergiversative

LO&MsLO wrote:
> [...]

>>Right click in either pane..no add button. Local Users and Groups
>>hilited..no add button. If I hilite Users I can add a new user. If I
>>hilte groups I can add a new group. All three of us are already
>>listed as administrators.
>>
>>Click Advanced.
>>
>>Can't find Advanced if I can't find Add
>>Click Find Now
>>Choose Administrators from the list and click OK.
>>Click OK until you've closed all dialogs.
>>Log off.
>>Log back on as yourself.
>>Do things.
>>
>>John

> Finally got to the Administrator screen. The Ctrl on the left side of
> the keyboard is bad. I don't have ot use it much and hadn't noticed
> it. Logged on as Adminstrator. Tried to open setup.exe of NAV. Same
> thing, No rights. ALL users are logged in as Administrators. I'm

You could've saved an ENORMOUS amount of time here if you'd simply said,
somewhere along the way, that you were trying to install NAV and got this
error.

It has nothing to do with rights; it has to do with first having to
completely remove and clean up the last version you had.

Unfortunately, you have not said which version you used to have, so I
can't point you to the right clean-up program, but they are available at
the Symantec site.

Also, you seem to consistently be confusing the Administrators *group*
with the Administrator login. ALL XP Pro systems have an Administrator
login, normally hidden but usable if you hit ctrl-alt-del twice from the
login screen. You cannot do away with the built-in administrator login.
This is NOT the same thing as having Administrator "rights", which is what
you describe as having for your account.

In any case, once you clean up the old Norton install using their utility,
and reboot, you will be able to install the new version.

-- DE

LO&MsLO

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 01:27:40 -0800, Tergiversative
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>LO&MsLO wrote:
>> On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 12:55:06 -0600, LO&MsLO <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

>>>In the pane on the right, there will be a list of users.
>>>Locate your user account and right click it, and choose Properties.
>>>On the resulting Window, click the "Member Of" tab.
>>>

>>>In users I have:
>>>Admin
>>>me
>>>Guest
>>>daughter
>>>HelpAssis
>>>wife
>>>Support
>>>

>>>For all of us (me,wife,daughter) It says: Member of ADMINISTRATORS
>>>

>>>Select any existing group memberships and click the remove button.
>>>
>>>under groups I have Administrators
>>> Back up operators
>>> Guests
>>> Network Config
>>> Power Users
>>> Remote Desktop Users
>>> Replicator
>>> Users
>>> HelpServicesGroup
>>>
>>>delete thisgroup?
>>>
>>>Click the Add button.
>>>
>>>Right click in either pane..no add button. Local Users and Groups
>>>hilited..no add button. If I hilite Users I can add a new user. If I
>>>hilte groups I can add a new group. All three of us are already
>>>listed as administrators.
>>>
>>>Click Advanced.
>>>
>>>Can't find Advanced if I can't find Add
>>>Click Find Now
>>>Choose Administrators from the list and click OK.
>>>Click OK until you've closed all dialogs.
>>>Log off.
>>>Log back on as yourself.
>>>Do things.
>>>
>>>John

>> Finally got to the Administrator screen. The Ctrl on the left side of
>> the keyboard is bad. I don't have ot use it much and hadn't noticed
>> it. Logged on as Adminstrator. Tried to open setup.exe of NAV. Same
>> thing, No rights. ALL users are logged in as Administrators. I'm
>> stumped here.
>>
>> John

>You could've saved an ENORMOUS amount of time here if you'd simply said,
>somewhere along the way, that you were trying to install NAV and got this
>error.

"I have admin rights. I hilite NAV and then right click log on with
password as administrator. Yet I still get the notice that the "system
administrator...won't allow this". I have SpyBot and the 'control
panel' is not clicked...none of them are. Where do I see the rights I
didn't give myself?"

2nd sentence of the original post

>It has nothing to do with rights; it has to do with first having to
>completely remove and clean up the last version you had.

I had no idea. That's why I was asking.

>Unfortunately, you have not said which version you used to have, so I
>can't point you to the right clean-up program, but they are available at
>the Symantec site.

Thank you

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>LO&MsLO wrote:
>> On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 12:55:06 -0600, LO&MsLO <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

>>>In the pane on the right, there will be a list of users.
>>>Locate your user account and right click it, and choose Properties.
>>>On the resulting Window, click the "Member Of" tab.
>>>

>>>In users I have:
>>>Admin
>>>me
>>>Guest
>>>daughter
>>>HelpAssis
>>>wife
>>>Support
>>>

>>>For all of us (me,wife,daughter) It says: Member of ADMINISTRATORS
>>>

>>>Select any existing group memberships and click the remove button.
>>>
>>>under groups I have Administrators
>>> Back up operators
>>> Guests
>>> Network Config
>>> Power Users
>>> Remote Desktop Users
>>> Replicator
>>> Users
>>> HelpServicesGroup
>>>
>>>delete thisgroup?
>>>
>>>Click the Add button.
>>>
>>>Right click in either pane..no add button. Local Users and Groups
>>>hilited..no add button. If I hilite Users I can add a new user. If I
>>>hilte groups I can add a new group. All three of us are already
>>>listed as administrators.
>>>
>>>Click Advanced.
>>>
>>>Can't find Advanced if I can't find Add
>>>Click Find Now
>>>Choose Administrators from the list and click OK.
>>>Click OK until you've closed all dialogs.
>>>Log off.
>>>Log back on as yourself.
>>>Do things.
>>>
>>>John

>> Finally got to the Administrator screen. The Ctrl on the left side of
>> the keyboard is bad. I don't have ot use it much and hadn't noticed
>> it. Logged on as Adminstrator. Tried to open setup.exe of NAV. Same
>> thing, No rights. ALL users are logged in as Administrators. I'm
>> stumped here.
>>
>> John

>You could've saved an ENORMOUS amount of time here if you'd simply said,
>somewhere along the way, that you were trying to install NAV and got this
>error.
>
>It has nothing to do with rights; it has to do with first having to
>completely remove and clean up the last version you had.
>
>Unfortunately, you have not said which version you used to have, so I
>can't point you to the right clean-up program, but they are available at
>the Symantec site.
>

>Also, you seem to consistently be confusing the Administrators *group*
>with the Administrator login. ALL XP Pro systems have an Administrator
>login, normally hidden but usable if you hit ctrl-alt-del twice from the
>login screen. You cannot do away with the built-in administrator login.
>This is NOT the same thing as having Administrator "rights", which is what
>you describe as having for your account.
>
>In any case, once you clean up the old Norton install using their utility,
>and reboot, you will be able to install the new version.
>
>-- DE

NSW didn't install coreectly and that's why I guess I'm getting the
Admin screen. I've never used the 'Admin' stuff on XP Pro (nor do I
see a reason for it on home systems) so the 'Admin' line was an easy
mistake to make.

What utility are you talking about? I searched the site and all I can
find is a manual uninstall for Norton's Utilities.

John