Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > admin problems

admin problems

Harrison

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 12:02:53 -0600, LO&MsLO <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 12:54:08 -0500, Harrison <Harrison> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 11:42:38 -0600, LO&MsLO <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>wrote:

>>>Another funny thing. I can change the password for the Administrator
>>>but not myself. I can also change my wife's and my daughter's.

>>See Rifleman's instructions. Log on as Admin. Open the Users and
>>Groups section of the control panel and reassign yourself (your usual
>>profile) full Admin. rights.

>When I MyComputer\manage\Local Users and Groups\ I see Administrator
>and our three accounts (plus guest...). Administrator has Full rights.
>Next to my name there is nothing. Where do I change this?

Log on as Administrator, or another account with admin. rights, and
make the changes to your account.

LO&MsLO

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 13:05:55 -0500, Harrison <Harrison> wrote:

>On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 12:02:53 -0600, LO&MsLO <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 12:54:08 -0500, Harrison <Harrison> wrote:

>>>See Rifleman's instructions. Log on as Admin. Open the Users and
>>>Groups section of the control panel and reassign yourself (your usual
>>>profile) full Admin. rights.

>>When I MyComputer\manage\Local Users and Groups\ I see Administrator
>>and our three accounts (plus guest...). Administrator has Full rights.
>>Next to my name there is nothing. Where do I change this?

>Log on as Administrator, or another account with admin. rights, and
>make the changes to your account.

I am listed as an Administrator. How do I deteming which rights I have
and where do I go to change them? Cnt\alt\del at Windows splash still
will not get me anywhere other than the usual screen with our three
names.

Harrison

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 12:05:52 -0600, LO&MsLO <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 12:54:08 -0500, Harrison <Harrison> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 11:42:38 -0600, LO&MsLO <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>wrote:

>>>Another funny thing. I can change the password for the Administrator
>>>but not myself. I can also change my wife's and my daughter's.

>>See Rifleman's instructions. Log on as Admin. Open the Users and
>>Groups section of the control panel and reassign yourself (your usual
>>profile) full Admin. rights.

>Sorry. It says built in account....

Administrator is a built-in account.
Did you log in as the Administrator.
Username: Administrator
PW: (whatever the password is)

LO&MsLO

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 13:13:55 -0500, Harrison <Harrison> wrote:

>On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 12:05:52 -0600, LO&MsLO <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 12:54:08 -0500, Harrison <Harrison> wrote:

>>>See Rifleman's instructions. Log on as Admin. Open the Users and
>>>Groups section of the control panel and reassign yourself (your usual
>>>profile) full Admin. rights.

>>Sorry. It says built in account....

>Administrator is a built-in account.
>Did you log in as the Administrator.
>Username: Administrator
>PW: (whatever the password is)

There is no place to 'log in' as administrator. Only three names
there...mine, my wife and my daughters. As I said I didn't create an
administrator when I installed the OS.

Where these Administrator Rights are coming from I have no idea

Harrison

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 12:18:56 -0600, LO&MsLO <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 13:13:55 -0500, Harrison <Harrison> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 12:05:52 -0600, LO&MsLO <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>wrote:

>>>Sorry. It says built in account....

>>Administrator is a built-in account.
>>Did you log in as the Administrator.
>>Username: Administrator
>>PW: (whatever the password is)

>There is no place to 'log in' as administrator. Only three names
>there...mine, my wife and my daughters. As I said I didn't create an
>administrator when I installed the OS.

The administrator account is a built-in account and it is there by
default. If you didn't assign it a password then the password is
probably blank.
You are going to have to log in as the admin. or another account
listed as having admin. rights in order to change the rights assigned
to your own profile.
Log in as your wife or daughter.
Click <Start> <Run> and type in "compmgmt.msc /s" without the quotes.
In the left pane of the computer management console, expand the Local
Users and Groups section by clicking the + sign.
Click the Users folder.
In the pane on the right, there will be a list of users.
Locate your user account and right click it, and choose Properties.
On the resulting Window, click the "Member Of" tab.
Select any existing group memberships and click the remove button.
Click the Add button.
Click Advanced.
Click Find Now
Choose Administrators from the list and click OK.
Click OK until you've closed all dialogs.
Log off.
Log back on as yourself.
Do things.

>Where these Administrator Rights are coming from I have no idea

Rifleman

"LO&MsLO" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 17:33:44 -0000, "Rifleman" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> XP I should have said that. No luck.. When I esc\alt\del at the
> Windows XP splash I still go to the usual screen with the three
> accounts on it.

Then you have Home edition. Boot up into Safe Mode to see the built-in Admin
account.

LO&MsLO

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 13:39:57 -0500, Harrison <Harrison> wrote:

>On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 12:18:56 -0600, LO&MsLO <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 13:13:55 -0500, Harrison <Harrison> wrote:

>>>Administrator is a built-in account.
>>>Did you log in as the Administrator.
>>>Username: Administrator
>>>PW: (whatever the password is)

>>There is no place to 'log in' as administrator. Only three names
>>there...mine, my wife and my daughters. As I said I didn't create an
>>administrator when I installed the OS.

>The administrator account is a built-in account and it is there by
>default. If you didn't assign it a password then the password is
>probably blank.
>You are going to have to log in as the admin. or another account
>listed as having admin. rights in order to change the rights assigned
>to your own profile.
>Log in as your wife or daughter.
>Click <Start> <Run> and type in "compmgmt.msc /s" without the quotes.
>In the left pane of the computer management console, expand the Local
>Users and Groups section by clicking the + sign.
>Click the Users folder.
>In the pane on the right, there will be a list of users.
>Locate your user account and right click it, and choose Properties.
>On the resulting Window, click the "Member Of" tab.
>Select any existing group memberships and click the remove button.
>Click the Add button.
>Click Advanced.
>Click Find Now
>Choose Administrators from the list and click OK.
>Click OK until you've closed all dialogs.
>Log off.
>Log back on as yourself.
>Do things.
>

>>Where these Administrator Rights are coming from I have no idea

In the pane on the right, there will be a list of users.
Locate your user account and right click it, and choose Properties.
On the resulting Window, click the "Member Of" tab.

In users I have:
Admin
me
Guest
daughter
HelpAssis
wife
Support

For all of us (me,wife,daughter) It says: Member of ADMINISTRATORS

Select any existing group memberships and click the remove button.

under groups I have Administrators
Back up operators
Guests
Network Config
Power Users
Remote Desktop Users
Replicator
Users
HelpServicesGroup

delete thisgroup?

Click the Add button.

Right click in either pane..no add button. Local Users and Groups
hilited..no add button. If I hilite Users I can add a new user. If I
hilte groups I can add a new group. All three of us are already
listed as administrators.

Click Advanced.

Can't find Advanced if I can't find Add
Click Find Now
Choose Administrators from the list and click OK.
Click OK until you've closed all dialogs.
Log off.
Log back on as yourself.
Do things.

John

LO&MsLO

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 18:41:54 -0000, "Rifleman" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"LO&MsLO" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 17:33:44 -0000, "Rifleman" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>> XP I should have said that. No luck.. When I esc\alt\del at the
>> Windows XP splash I still go to the usual screen with the three
>> accounts on it.
>> >

>Then you have Home edition. Boot up into Safe Mode to see the built-in Admin
>account.

Nope. Says XP Pro on the splash.

Gary G. Taylor

LO&MsLO wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 17:33:44 -0000, "Rifleman" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>"LO&MsLO" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

>>> I'm not sure what I did. I don't remember setting any when I
>>> installed the OS but obviously I did. How do I log on as Admin?

>>In Home boot up in Safe Mode. In Pro, at the welcome screen press
>>Ctl-Alt-Del twice.

> XP I should have said that. No luck.. When I esc\alt\del at the
> Windows XP splash I still go to the usual screen with the three
> accounts on it.

Perhaps because the instruction was to hit CONTROL-Alt-Delete twice, rather
than ESCAPE-Alt-Delete?

"When all else fails, try following directions."

--
Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA

LO&MsLO

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 20:48:49 GMT, "Gary G. Taylor"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>LO&MsLO wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 17:33:44 -0000, "Rifleman" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>"LO&MsLO" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed) ...

>>>In Home boot up in Safe Mode. In Pro, at the welcome screen press
>>>Ctl-Alt-Del twice.

>> XP I should have said that. No luck.. When I esc\alt\del at the
>> Windows XP splash I still go to the usual screen with the three
>> accounts on it.

>Perhaps because the instruction was to hit CONTROL-Alt-Delete twice, rather
>than ESCAPE-Alt-Delete?
>
>"When all else fails, try following directions."

I did hit ctrl/del. (I don't rempber saying I hit ESCAPE. In fact
I've been using ctrl\alt\del for the 14 years I've had a computer.
Pehaps it doesn't work because ther is no administrator on this
computer. When I installed it I passed over the option of having an
administrator. There is no need for an administrator on a home
computer. At least not in my house.