Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Windows 2000 Pro question (formatting hard drive)

Windows 2000 Pro question (formatting hard drive)

Mike Woellert

hey everyone,

I'm wanting to reformat my drive....running Windows 2000 Pro...I just want
reformat, and start over new...I open the Command Prompt, and type:

C:\>fdisk, and I get this response:
fdisk is unrecognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file

so than I tried C:\>format c:

it lets me know, all information will be lost, and if I want to proceed..so
click Y

so than this message appears:

Format cannot run because the volume is in use by another
process. Format may run if this volume is dismounted fir
ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID.
Would you like to force a dismount on this volume? (Y/N)

anyone with any familiarity with formatting in Windows 2000 know what to
do??

--
Mike Woellert
http://db.etree.org/Mike_Woellert

°Mike°

How to install Windows 2k
http://www.windowsreinstall.com/inst.../install2k.htm

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 15:40:37 GMT, in
<V7eMb.10880$(E-Mail Removed) >
Mike Woellert scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Mike Woellert

how do I change or make sure that CD-ROM is the first boot device

do I press F8 at when I am prompted at the booting process??

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> How to install Windows 2k
> http://www.windowsreinstall.com/inst.../install2k.htm
>

> On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 15:40:37 GMT, in
> <V7eMb.10880$(E-Mail Removed) >
> Mike Woellert scrawled:
>
> >hey everyone,
> >
> >I'm wanting to reformat my drive....running Windows 2000 Pro...I just

want
> >reformat, and start over new...I open the Command Prompt, and type:
> >
> >C:\>fdisk, and I get this response:
> >fdisk is unrecognized as an internal or external command,
> >operable program or batch file
> >
> >so than I tried C:\>format c:
> >
> >it lets me know, all information will be lost, and if I want to

proceed..so
> >click Y
> >
> >so than this message appears:
> >
> >Format cannot run because the volume is in use by another
> >process. Format may run if this volume is dismounted fir
> >ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID.
> >Would you like to force a dismount on this volume? (Y/N)
> >

> >anyone with any familiarity with formatting in Windows 2000 know what to
> >do??

> --
> Basic computer maintenance

°Mike°

You need to set the changes in the BIOS - check your
motherboard manual on how to enter your BIOS. Make
sure you save the changes on exit from the BIOS.

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 15:54:48 GMT, in
<cleMb.10886$(E-Mail Removed) >
Mike Woellert scrawled:

>how do I change or make sure that CD-ROM is the first boot device
>
>do I press F8 at when I am prompted at the booting process??

>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> How to install Windows 2k
>> http://www.windowsreinstall.com/inst.../install2k.htm
>>

>> On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 15:40:37 GMT, in
>> <V7eMb.10880$(E-Mail Removed) >
>> Mike Woellert scrawled:
>>
>> >hey everyone,
>> >
>> >I'm wanting to reformat my drive....running Windows 2000 Pro...I just

>want
>> >reformat, and start over new...I open the Command Prompt, and type:
>> >
>> >C:\>fdisk, and I get this response:
>> >fdisk is unrecognized as an internal or external command,
>> >operable program or batch file
>> >
>> >so than I tried C:\>format c:
>> >
>> >it lets me know, all information will be lost, and if I want to

>proceed..so
>> >click Y
>> >
>> >so than this message appears:
>> >
>> >Format cannot run because the volume is in use by another
>> >process. Format may run if this volume is dismounted fir
>> >ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID.
>> >Would you like to force a dismount on this volume? (Y/N)
>> >

>> >anyone with any familiarity with formatting in Windows 2000 know what to
>> >do??

>> --
>> Basic computer maintenance

Basic computer maintenance

Trai' La Trash

"Mike Woellert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:V7eMb.10880$(E-Mail Removed) et...
> hey everyone,
>
> I'm wanting to reformat my drive....running Windows 2000 Pro...I just want
> reformat, and start over new...I open the Command Prompt, and type:
>
> C:\>fdisk, and I get this response:
> fdisk is unrecognized as an internal or external command,
> operable program or batch file
>
> so than I tried C:\>format c:
>
> it lets me know, all information will be lost, and if I want to

proceed..so
> click Y
>
> so than this message appears:
>
> Format cannot run because the volume is in use by another
> process. Format may run if this volume is dismounted fir
> ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID.
> Would you like to force a dismount on this volume? (Y/N)
>

> anyone with any familiarity with formatting in Windows 2000 know what to
> do??
>

> --
> Mike Woellert
> http://db.etree.org/Mike_Woellert
> http://www.indemed.com

Just boot up with the cd and choose L to delete the partition and do a clean
install.

Trai'

http://home.earthlink.net/~doniteli/index63.htm
http://studynotes.net/70part1.htm