Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > problem with a registry key

problem with a registry key

Bev

I am running Win XP Pro and I have been having a problem with rpcss for a
month. I have checked for blaster and it is not there. The problem is in
the key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,
SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RpcSs\Start\REG_ DWORD. The hexadecimal
and decimal always change from a 2 to a 4 when I reboot the computer and I
have to go into the registry and manually change it back to a 2 or the
computer will not finish loading. Does anyone have any ideas? I am very
appreciative for any help!

Bev

Spider

> I am running Win XP Pro and I have been having a problem with rpcss for a
> month. I have checked for blaster and it is not there. The problem is in
> the key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,
> SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RpcSs\Start\REG_ DWORD. The hexadecimal
> and decimal always change from a 2 to a 4 when I reboot the computer and I
> have to go into the registry and manually change it back to a 2 or the
> computer will not finish loading. Does anyone have any ideas? I am very
> appreciative for any help!
>
> Bev

Bev,
I suspect you are not posting the whole story here. This is not a typical reg key that one would just browse to and change. There has to be some history behing you knowing to go there and make the change. Perhaps if you enlighten us on the circumstances a suggested fix would be more accurate.

Spider
http://web.tampabay.rr.com/spider1

Bev

I appreciate your response. It took me a couple of weeks to figure out what
key was changing everytime I booted up. I knew from internet research that
the problem was in the remote procedure call, so I used a program called
registry crawler to find all references to the key rpcss. There is a
controlset 0, 1, 2, & 3 in the registry and I compared the entries in each
one and noticed that the control set 0 was changing from 4 to 2 every time I
rebooted, preventing me from fully rebooting. I started changing it
manually everytime I rebooted so that the computer would finish the reboot
and it has worked everytime. If I fail to change it, it doesn't reboot
fully.

Thank you again. I have spent so much time trying to figure it out.

"Spider" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:999Mb.10919$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> > I am running Win XP Pro and I have been having a problem with rpcss for

> > month. I have checked for blaster and it is not there. The problem is

in
> > the key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,
> > SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RpcSs\Start\REG_ DWORD. The

hexadecimal
> > and decimal always change from a 2 to a 4 when I reboot the computer and

> > have to go into the registry and manually change it back to a 2 or the
> > computer will not finish loading. Does anyone have any ideas? I am

very
> > appreciative for any help!
> >
> > Bev

> Bev,
> I suspect you are not posting the whole story here. This is not a typical

reg key that one would just browse to and change. There has to be some
history behing you knowing to go there and make the change. Perhaps if you
enlighten us on the circumstances a suggested fix would be more accurate.

> Spider
> http://web.tampabay.rr.com/spider1

DataSpider

"Bev" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:40013be4$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I appreciate your response. It took me a couple of weeks to figure out

what
> key was changing everytime I booted up. I knew from internet research

that
> the problem was in the remote procedure call, so I used a program called
> registry crawler to find all references to the key rpcss. There is a
> controlset 0, 1, 2, & 3 in the registry and I compared the entries in each
> one and noticed that the control set 0 was changing from 4 to 2 every time

> rebooted, preventing me from fully rebooting. I started changing it
> manually everytime I rebooted so that the computer would finish the reboot
> and it has worked everytime. If I fail to change it, it doesn't reboot
> fully.
>
> Thank you again. I have spent so much time trying to figure it out.
>
> "Spider" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:999Mb.10919$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> > > I am running Win XP Pro and I have been having a problem with rpcss

for
> > > month. I have checked for blaster and it is not there. The problem

is
> in
> > > the key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,
> > > SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RpcSs\Start\REG_ DWORD. The

> hexadecimal
> > > and decimal always change from a 2 to a 4 when I reboot the computer

and
> > > have to go into the registry and manually change it back to a 2 or the
> > > computer will not finish loading. Does anyone have any ideas? I am

> very
> > > appreciative for any help!
> > >
> > > Bev

> > Bev,
> > I suspect you are not posting the whole story here. This is not a

typical
> reg key that one would just browse to and change. There has to be some
> history behing you knowing to go there and make the change. Perhaps if

you
> enlighten us on the circumstances a suggested fix would be more accurate.
> >
> > Spider
> > http://web.tampabay.rr.com/spider1

Blaster ?

Spider

> I appreciate your response. It took me a couple of weeks to figure out what
> key was changing everytime I booted up. I knew from internet research that
> the problem was in the remote procedure call, so I used a program called
> registry crawler to find all references to the key rpcss. There is a
> controlset 0, 1, 2, & 3 in the registry and I compared the entries in each
> one and noticed that the control set 0 was changing from 4 to 2 every time I
> rebooted, preventing me from fully rebooting. I started changing it
> manually everytime I rebooted so that the computer would finish the reboot
> and it has worked everytime. If I fail to change it, it doesn't reboot
> fully.
>
> Thank you again. I have spent so much time trying to figure it out.

Bev,
Well changing on reboot is very indicative of something starting up that is making the change. Some spyware/viruses are known to do this. You should run a complete virus scan after insuring you have current updates on your anti virus software and also do a complete spyware removal process by using a combination of spybot, ad-aware and hijackthis. I like hijackthis as you can examine all entires in the run key, both current user and local machine, as well as the global startup items. These tools can be obtained on http://www.spywareinfo.com or search this group for Boomer's posts and use the excellent links he posts in response to spyware issues.

Spider
http://web.tampabay.rr.com/spider1

Tergiversative

First of all, you really didn't answer Spider's question (IMO) because
you're not explaining what prompted you to go looking for a key changing
everytime you booted up. WHY were you looking for anything in the first
place -- what was the actual *symptom* that made you go looking?

Second, none of the changes except "currentcontrolset" matter; they
should not show as 0,1,2,&3 but rather as current, 001, 002, and 003. The
reason it may be changing is that you are changing the wrong one or there
is something changing it. But without explaining why you even went
looking for it, how can someone help you pin that down?

YOu mention, for example, Blaster. Were you infected and trying to clean
it up? WHAT *exactly* made you go looking for anything in the first
place? You say you have "trouble" with RPCSS; what type of trouble, exactly?

Please be thorough and include *all* details, and then someone surely can
help you. For example, perhaps you're just not making the change from the
administrator's account? Perhaps there are policies in place to keep you
from changing it? In any case, you are going about changing it the hard
way, and you really need to explain why you feel a need to do this at all.

The only thing you say below is that the computer doesn't reboot "fully"
or complete reboot unless you change this ... but that doesn't make a lot
of sense in and of itself, nor is it clear what you really mean. For
example, I might *guess* that you find that the instance of svchost
associated with RPCSS consumes a lot of resources when Windows first
starts ... but that would be pure conjecture, based on trying to divine
without a clue from you ... and if that is the case, if it's the reason
for your going through this odd exercise of changing the startup through a
direct registry edit, your concern is misplaced. Or, perhaps you had
blaster and you didn't fully clean it up, just think you did so, and
that's interfering with Windows starting up properly.

So please post back with very clear info about what you mean and why you
went the route you did ... and while you're at it, please assure us that
you have now got up-to-date anti-virus software running and that if you
did have an infection before, you've re-scanned your system & it's come up
clean, and if it was blaster then you followed the FULL instructions for
cleaning it up and didn't just get rid of a file or two.

This is particularly critical as there are a LOT of services that depend
on RPCSS being started properly, and you may be disrupting those with your
efforts to keep it from starting.

-- DE

Bev wrote:
> I appreciate your response. It took me a couple of weeks to figure out what
> key was changing everytime I booted up. I knew from internet research that
> the problem was in the remote procedure call, so I used a program called
> registry crawler to find all references to the key rpcss. There is a
> controlset 0, 1, 2, & 3 in the registry and I compared the entries in each
> one and noticed that the control set 0 was changing from 4 to 2 every time I
> rebooted, preventing me from fully rebooting. I started changing it
> manually everytime I rebooted so that the computer would finish the reboot
> and it has worked everytime. If I fail to change it, it doesn't reboot
> fully.
>
> Thank you again. I have spent so much time trying to figure it out.
>
> "Spider" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:999Mb.10919$(E-Mail Removed). ..
>
>>>I am running Win XP Pro and I have been having a problem with rpcss for a
>>>month. I have checked for blaster and it is not there. The problem is in
>>>the key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,
>>>SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RpcSs\Start\R EG_DWORD. The hexadecimal
>>>and decimal always change from a 2 to a 4 when I reboot the computer and I
>>>have to go into the registry and manually change it back to a 2 or the
>>>computer will not finish loading. Does anyone have any ideas? I am very
>>>appreciative for any help!
>>>
>>>Bev

>>Bev,
>>I suspect you are not posting the whole story here. This is not a typical

> reg key that one would just browse to and change. There has to be some
> history behing you knowing to go there and make the change. Perhaps if you
> enlighten us on the circumstances a suggested fix would be more accurate.
>
>>Spider
>>http://web.tampabay.rr.com/spider1

Harrison

Other than checking for Blaster, have you performed a full scan for
viruses and spyware?
Do you have available a restore point in System Restore prior to the
onset of the problem?
Have you scanned your startup items with hijackthis to see if
something is rewriting the value?
At worst, you could export the correct key and put the reg file in
your startup folder so it would run every time you start the computer.

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 03:55:00 -0600, "Bev"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am running Win XP Pro and I have been having a problem with rpcss for a
>month. I have checked for blaster and it is not there. The problem is in
>the key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,
>SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RpcSs\Start\REG _DWORD. The hexadecimal
>and decimal always change from a 2 to a 4 when I reboot the computer and I
>have to go into the registry and manually change it back to a 2 or the
>computer will not finish loading. Does anyone have any ideas? I am very
>appreciative for any help!
>
>Bev

°Mike°

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 09:17:58 -0500, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Harrison scrawled:

<snip>

--
Basic computer maintenance

Senti

Spider did mumble KLaMb.8209$(E-Mail Removed)...

or search this group for Boomer's posts
> and use the excellent links he posts in response to spyware issues.

she^^

--
~SF~
Only Robinson Crusoe had everything done by Friday. -Anonymous

Boomer

Senti, <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Spider did mumble
> KLaMb.8209$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> or search this group for Boomer's posts
>> and use the excellent links he posts in response to spyware
>> issues.

> she^^

lol I didn't see that.

Good catch.