Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Home Page Hijacked and CD Drawers Open

Home Page Hijacked and CD Drawers Open

André R.M.

My home page has been taken over by another site selling software. In
addition, my CD drawers open when the home page changes.

I have been researching all over the net for a solution without any
success. Can you please direct me to a solution?

Thanks, ARM

Boomer

André R.M., <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> My home page has been taken over by another site selling
> software. In addition, my CD drawers open when the home page
> changes.
>
> I have been researching all over the net for a solution without
> any success. Can you please direct me to a solution?
>
> Thanks, ARM

What search engine did you use to search the net?

And have you read any messages in the group, posted in the past 24
hours that might have helped?

Ad-aware (Aims at Adware/Spyware.)
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

SpybotSD Aims for the dialers, trojans, hijackers and
security/privacy issues.
http://www.safer-networking.org/

Spyware Blaster

http://vipmeister.com/dl/aspy/aspy.html

StartupList, HijackThis and CoolWebShredder
http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/

Info on above and more.

Parasites: Cookies, Dialers, Keyloggers, Trackers
http://www.generation.net/~hleboeuf/bhoindex.htm

~ Spyware Information ~
http://www.cexx.org/adware.htm

--Unsolicited commercial software list and info--
http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/

--Other software--
http://www.wilders.org/

Newsgroup: alt.privacy.spyware

Top 10 Tips to Keep Your Computer Virus-Free
http://www.symantec.com/homecomputin...ry/topten.html

Trai' La Trash

LOL

news:4000bae7$0$5091$(E-Mail Removed) eenews.net...
> André R.M., <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > My home page has been taken over by another site selling
> > software. In addition, my CD drawers open when the home page
> > changes.
> >
> > I have been researching all over the net for a solution without
> > any success. Can you please direct me to a solution?
> >
> > Thanks, ARM

> What search engine did you use to search the net?
>
> And have you read any messages in the group, posted in the past 24
> hours that might have helped?
>

> Ad-aware (Aims at Adware/Spyware.)
> http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
>
> SpybotSD Aims for the dialers, trojans, hijackers and
> security/privacy issues.
> http://www.safer-networking.org/
>
> Spyware Blaster
>
> A-spy For trojans hiding in startup entries.
> http://vipmeister.com/dl/aspy/aspy.html
>
> StartupList, HijackThis and CoolWebShredder
> http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/
>
> Info on above and more.
> http://www.generation.net/~hleboeuf/spyware.htm
>
> Parasites: Cookies, Dialers, Keyloggers, Trackers
> http://www.generation.net/~hleboeuf/bhoindex.htm
>

> ~ Spyware Information ~
> http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/Darnit.htm
> http://www.cexx.org/adware.htm
>
> --Unsolicited commercial software list and info--
> http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/
>
> --Other software--
> http://www.wilders.org/
>
> Newsgroup: alt.privacy.spyware
>
> Top 10 Tips to Keep Your Computer Virus-Free
> http://www.symantec.com/homecomputin...ry/topten.html

André R.M.

Thanks, Boomer.

I was looking for specific direction which you may have provided. I
did use both Spy Bot and Ad Aware, but without success. Thanks for
your response.

ARM.

On 11 Jan 2004 02:54:32 GMT, Boomer <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>André R.M., <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>> My home page has been taken over by another site selling
>> software. In addition, my CD drawers open when the home page
>> changes.
>>
>> I have been researching all over the net for a solution without
>> any success. Can you please direct me to a solution?
>>
>> Thanks, ARM

>What search engine did you use to search the net?
>
>And have you read any messages in the group, posted in the past 24
>hours that might have helped?
>

>Ad-aware (Aims at Adware/Spyware.)
>http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
>
>SpybotSD Aims for the dialers, trojans, hijackers and
>security/privacy issues.
>http://www.safer-networking.org/
>
>Spyware Blaster
>http://www.wilderssecurity.net/spywareblaster.html
>
>A-spy For trojans hiding in startup entries.
>http://vipmeister.com/dl/aspy/aspy.html
>
>StartupList, HijackThis and CoolWebShredder
>http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/
>
>Info on above and more.
>http://www.generation.net/~hleboeuf/spyware.htm
>
>Parasites: Cookies, Dialers, Keyloggers, Trackers
>http://www.generation.net/~hleboeuf/bhoindex.htm
>

> ~ Spyware Information ~
>http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/Darnit.htm
>http://www.cexx.org/adware.htm
>
>--Unsolicited commercial software list and info--
> http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/
>
>--Other software--
>http://www.wilders.org/
>
>Newsgroup: alt.privacy.spyware
>
>Top 10 Tips to Keep Your Computer Virus-Free
>http://www.symantec.com/homecomputin...ry/topten.html

trout

André R.M. wrote:

> Thanks, Boomer.
>
> I was looking for specific direction which you may have provided. I
> did use both Spy Bot and Ad Aware, but without success. Thanks for
> your response.
>
> ARM.

You could probably get a definitive answer by using HijackThis (on
the list Boomer provided), although you may need help in interpreting
the results.
But diagnosing a problem like this is often easier (and sometimes,
simple) by actually mentioning *which* site has made itself your
homepage.

> On 11 Jan 2004 02:54:32 GMT, Boomer <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> André R.M., <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>> My home page has been taken over by another site selling
>>> software. In addition, my CD drawers open when the home page
>>> changes.
>>>
>>> I have been researching all over the net for a solution without
>>> any success. Can you please direct me to a solution?
>>>
>>> Thanks, ARM

>> What search engine did you use to search the net?
>>
>> And have you read any messages in the group, posted in the past 24
>> hours that might have helped?
>>

>> Ad-aware (Aims at Adware/Spyware.)
>> http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
>>
>> SpybotSD Aims for the dialers, trojans, hijackers and
>> security/privacy issues.
>> http://www.safer-networking.org/
>>
>> Spyware Blaster
>> http://www.wilderssecurity.net/spywareblaster.html
>>
>> A-spy For trojans hiding in startup entries.
>> http://vipmeister.com/dl/aspy/aspy.html
>>
>> StartupList, HijackThis and CoolWebShredder
>> http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/
>>
>> Info on above and more.
>> http://www.generation.net/~hleboeuf/spyware.htm
>>
>> Parasites: Cookies, Dialers, Keyloggers, Trackers
>> http://www.generation.net/~hleboeuf/bhoindex.htm
>>

>> ~ Spyware Information ~
>> http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/Darnit.htm
>> http://www.cexx.org/adware.htm
>>
>> --Unsolicited commercial software list and info--
>> http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/
>>
>> --Other software--
>> http://www.wilders.org/
>>
>> Newsgroup: alt.privacy.spyware
>>
>> Top 10 Tips to Keep Your Computer Virus-Free
>> http://www.symantec.com/homecomputin...ry/topten.html

pcbutts1

Did you update the both programs before you ran them?

"André R.M." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks, Boomer.
>
> I was looking for specific direction which you may have provided. I
> did use both Spy Bot and Ad Aware, but without success. Thanks for
> your response.
>
> ARM.
>

> On 11 Jan 2004 02:54:32 GMT, Boomer <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >André R.M., <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >

> >> My home page has been taken over by another site selling
> >> software. In addition, my CD drawers open when the home page
> >> changes.
> >>
> >> I have been researching all over the net for a solution without
> >> any success. Can you please direct me to a solution?
> >>
> >> Thanks, ARM

> >What search engine did you use to search the net?
> >
> >And have you read any messages in the group, posted in the past 24
> >hours that might have helped?
> >

> >Ad-aware (Aims at Adware/Spyware.)
> >http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
> >
> >SpybotSD Aims for the dialers, trojans, hijackers and
> >security/privacy issues.
> >http://www.safer-networking.org/
> >
> >Spyware Blaster
> >http://www.wilderssecurity.net/spywareblaster.html
> >
> >A-spy For trojans hiding in startup entries.
> >http://vipmeister.com/dl/aspy/aspy.html
> >
> >StartupList, HijackThis and CoolWebShredder
> >http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/
> >
> >Info on above and more.
> >http://www.generation.net/~hleboeuf/spyware.htm
> >
> >Parasites: Cookies, Dialers, Keyloggers, Trackers
> >http://www.generation.net/~hleboeuf/bhoindex.htm
> >

> > ~ Spyware Information ~
> >http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/Darnit.htm
> >http://www.cexx.org/adware.htm
> >
> >--Unsolicited commercial software list and info--
> > http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/
> >
> >--Other software--
> >http://www.wilders.org/
> >
> >Newsgroup: alt.privacy.spyware
> >
> >Top 10 Tips to Keep Your Computer Virus-Free
> >http://www.symantec.com/homecomputin...ry/topten.html

Toast

"pcbutts1" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<oFfMb.4936$(E-Mail Removed) link.net>...
> Did you update the both programs before you ran them?

Funny........I had the same thing happen today. I use Ad-Aware 6.0
which took care of the problem. www.lavasoftusa.com Toast

> "André R.M." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Thanks, Boomer.
> >
> > I was looking for specific direction which you may have provided. I
> > did use both Spy Bot and Ad Aware, but without success. Thanks for
> > your response.
> >
> > ARM.
> >

> > On 11 Jan 2004 02:54:32 GMT, Boomer <(E-Mail Removed)>
> > wrote:

> > >What search engine did you use to search the net?
> > >
> > >And have you read any messages in the group, posted in the past 24
> > >hours that might have helped?
> > >

> > >Ad-aware (Aims at Adware/Spyware.)
> > >http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
> > >
> > >SpybotSD Aims for the dialers, trojans, hijackers and
> > >security/privacy issues.
> > >http://www.safer-networking.org/
> > >
> > >Spyware Blaster
> > >http://www.wilderssecurity.net/spywareblaster.html
> > >
> > >A-spy For trojans hiding in startup entries.
> > >http://vipmeister.com/dl/aspy/aspy.html
> > >
> > >StartupList, HijackThis and CoolWebShredder
> > >http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/
> > >
> > >Info on above and more.
> > >http://www.generation.net/~hleboeuf/spyware.htm
> > >
> > >Parasites: Cookies, Dialers, Keyloggers, Trackers
> > >http://www.generation.net/~hleboeuf/bhoindex.htm
> > >

> > > ~ Spyware Information ~
> > >http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/Darnit.htm
> > >http://www.cexx.org/adware.htm
> > >
> > >--Unsolicited commercial software list and info--
> > > http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/
> > >
> > >--Other software--
> > >http://www.wilders.org/
> > >
> > >Newsgroup: alt.privacy.spyware
> > >
> > >Top 10 Tips to Keep Your Computer Virus-Free
> > >http://www.symantec.com/homecomputin...ry/topten.html

André R.M.

Thanks to all of you who responded constructively.

The fix is located at Symantec - on the lead page for the problem -
and provides a ladder to adjust registry values. Worked beautifully.