Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Best British comedy

Best British comedy

Mara

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 11:02:22 +0000, William Poaster wrote:

>It was on Sat, 10 Jan 2004 20:34:05 -0600, just as I was halfway through a
>large jam doughnut, that Mara wrote:

<snip>
>> I'd have to take Fawlty Towers. I just loved to see what was on the sign in
>> front every time. And I'm a BIG John Cleese fan. LOL

>Yes! LOL
>There has been a complete rerun of the Red Dwarf series on BBC2. It was
>one of the funniest comedy series, IMHO. The characters were terrific!
>Rimmer : Step up to Red Alert!
>Kryten : Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.

I saw a couple of episodes of that but not much. I don't know if it's being
shown on satellite or not. Pretty funny, though. LOL

But the Minister of Silly Walks will get my vote every time. ROTFLMAO!

--
What we need are a couple of good hangings.
-- FTC Chairman Orson Swindle, on email spam

BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ

ICee wrote:

>>>Which British comedy was the best :
>>>http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/
>>>
>>>I've voted for Blackadder. AbFab and the Vicar are numbers two and
>>>three in my personal top-10, but bear in mind that some accents and
>>>expressions easily confuse me.
>>>
>>>A quote from Blackadder, whilst adressing the Queen:
>>>BA : "My love for you is like a broken pencil"
>>>Q : (confused) "Tell me how?"
>>>BA : "pointless"

>>Red Dwarf

> I'll second that!

It doesn't qualify, but there's one line I simply *love* thanks to the BBC:
"I'm not expendable, I'm not *stupid* and I'm not *GOING*!" - Blake's 7

BuffNET Technical Support Supervisor
(BEHOLD! The power of the BOFH!)

zamboni30000@knowspamatyahoo.com

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 01:32:49 +0100, Rob K <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Which British comedy was the best :
>http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/
>
>I've voted for Blackadder. AbFab and the Vicar are numbers two and
>three in my personal top-10, but bear in mind that some accents and
>expressions easily confuse me.
>
>A quote from Blackadder, whilst adressing the Queen:
>BA : "My love for you is like a broken pencil"
>Q : (confused) "Tell me how?"
>BA : "pointless"

I've always liked Fawlty Towers, I have a peculiar liking for "Are You
Being Served," but a close third is the Prime Minister's weekly
question and answer session. Cracks me up every time (watching our
House and Senate just doesn't have the same effect.)

Brian H

BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ said:

>>> Red Dwarf

>> I'll second that!

> It doesn't qualify, but there's one line I simply *love* thanks to the BBC:
> "I'm not expendable, I'm not *stupid* and I'm not *GOING*!" - Blake's 7

How does it not qualify?

Max Quordlepleen

William Poaster <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> [A black screen; a steady wind can be heard, blowing gently. Fade up the
> words:
>
> "THE END"
>
> [After a few moments, the letters are deleted, making way for a replacement
> message: ....or is it?]

This thread has an impossible subject line - how can anyone one
choosethe "best" Britcom. RedDwarf is great, Fawlty Towers is great
("Germans" being the best episode of the lot), and Blackadder is
great. IMO, the funniest Blackadder series was 3 (Robbie Coltran as
Samuel Johnson), and the most satirical was 4. I loved Red Dwarf, but
no nbetwork here has rescreening rights, apparently. I also think The
Young Ones should get at least an honourable mention, with a special
place reserved for MPFC, and The Goodies.

--
Registered Linux User 297164
GPG Key ID 1B1B6A1D5A2407C3

Mara

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 08:27:26 +1300, Max Quordlepleen wrote:

>William Poaster <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> [A black screen; a steady wind can be heard, blowing gently. Fade up the
>> words:
>>
>> "THE END"
>>
>> [After a few moments, the letters are deleted, making way for a replacement
>> message: ....or is it?]

>This thread has an impossible subject line - how can anyone one
>choosethe "best" Britcom. RedDwarf is great, Fawlty Towers is great
>("Germans" being the best episode of the lot), and Blackadder is
>great. IMO, the funniest Blackadder series was 3 (Robbie Coltran as
>Samuel Johnson), and the most satirical was 4. I loved Red Dwarf, but
>no nbetwork here has rescreening rights, apparently. I also think The
>Young Ones should get at least an honourable mention, with a special
>place reserved for MPFC, and The Goodies.

TYO - Neil, and especially Vivian, in the episode where Vivian thought he was
pregnant.

ROTFLMAO!

--
What we need are a couple of good hangings.
-- FTC Chairman Orson Swindle, on email spam

Boomer

, <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 01:32:49 +0100, Rob K
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Which British comedy was the best :
>>http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/
>>
>>I've voted for Blackadder. AbFab and the Vicar are numbers two
>>and three in my personal top-10, but bear in mind that some
>>accents and expressions easily confuse me.
>>
>>A quote from Blackadder, whilst adressing the Queen:
>>BA : "My love for you is like a broken pencil"
>>Q : (confused) "Tell me how?"
>>BA : "pointless"

> I've always liked Fawlty Towers, I have a peculiar liking for
> "Are You Being Served," but a close third is the Prime
> Minister's weekly question and answer session. Cracks me up
> every time (watching our House and Senate just doesn't have the
> same effect.)

'Are You Being Served' was my favorite. I miss it.

William Poaster

It was on Sun, 11 Jan 2004 13:55:10 -0600, just as I was halfway through a
large jam doughnut, that Mara wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 08:27:26 +1300, Max Quordlepleen wrote:
>
>>William Poaster <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>>
>>> [A black screen; a steady wind can be heard, blowing gently. Fade up the
>>> words:
>>>
>>> "THE END"
>>>
>>> [After a few moments, the letters are deleted, making way for a replacement
>>> message: ....or is it?]

>>This thread has an impossible subject line - how can anyone one
>>choosethe "best" Britcom. RedDwarf is great, Fawlty Towers is great
>>("Germans" being the best episode of the lot), and Blackadder is
>>great. IMO, the funniest Blackadder series was 3 (Robbie Coltran as
>>Samuel Johnson), and the most satirical was 4. I loved Red Dwarf, but
>>no nbetwork here has rescreening rights, apparently. I also think The
>>Young Ones should get at least an honourable mention, with a special
>>place reserved for MPFC, and The Goodies.

> TYO - Neil, and especially Vivian, in the episode where Vivian thought he was
> pregnant.
>
> ROTFLMAO!

The 'Young Ones' was funny, but IMHO 'Bottom' was funnier! <g>

--
Linux User #: 305646. http://counter.li.org/
Using linux at home, since 1998

BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ

>>Rimmer : Step up to Red Alert!
>>Kryten : Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.

(BWA-ha-ha-ha-ha!) I'm shocked this line, or something similar, never
made it into any Star Trek Spoofs!

(E-Mail Removed)
BuffNET Technical Support Supervisor
(BEHOLD! The power of the BOFH!)

William Poaster

It was on Sun, 11 Jan 2004 19:42:23 -0500, just as I was halfway through a
large jam doughnut, that BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ wrote:

>>>Rimmer : Step up to Red Alert!
>>>Kryten : Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.

> (BWA-ha-ha-ha-ha!) I'm shocked this line, or something similar, never
> made it into any Star Trek Spoofs!

Cat: What? Am I the only sane one here? Why don't we drop the defensive shields?
Kryten: A superlative suggestion, sir, with just two minor flaws.
One: We don't have any defensive shields, and Two: We don't have any
defensive shields. Now, I realise that, technically speaking, that's only
one flaw, but I thought that it was such a big one it was worth mentioning
twice.

(Series 5 : Holoship)

--
Linux User #: 305646. http://counter.li.org/
Using linux at home, since 1998
SuSE Linux Pro 9.0

FA: ELECTION Reese Witherspoon great black comedy CHEAP! Dionwr Anfoddion DVD Video 0 07-08-2004 06:43 PM
Comedy Central mail list - I can't get them to unsubscribe me!! Pauline Johnson Computer Support 5 03-05-2004 01:54 AM
Comedy Show Nick DVD Video 1 02-03-2004 01:48 PM
The Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour on DVD susan DVD Video 2 11-13-2003 07:12 AM
"The Office" Season 1 on DVD: BBC Comedy Shane Gould DVD Video 1 10-04-2003 11:07 PM

Advertisments