Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > My PC makes a siren noise

My PC makes a siren noise

Gjergji J.

all of the sudden, while playing a solitaire game, it started making a
continous noise like an ambulance or police siren. Rebooting several times
didn't change it. Thinking that it was a flaky power supply, I put a new
power supply, but still the same noise. Do you know what the problem might
be? If so please let me know.

gjergji

Harrison

It's overheating.

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 10:18:54 -0800, "Gjergji J." <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>all of the sudden, while playing a solitaire game, it started making a
>continous noise like an ambulance or police siren. Rebooting several times
>didn't change it. Thinking that it was a flaky power supply, I put a new
>power supply, but still the same noise. Do you know what the problem might
>be? If so please let me know.
>
>gjergji

Sultan

Gjergji J. wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> all of the sudden, while playing a solitaire game, it started making a
> continous noise like an ambulance or police siren. Rebooting several
> times didn't change it. Thinking that it was a flaky power supply, I
> put a new power supply, but still the same noise. Do you know what the
> problem might be? If so please let me know.
>
> gjergji

Gjergji, try removing the cover and starting it up, you may be able to
tell then from where the sound is originating. Please be careful to not
poke around in it while its running - don't want you getting shocked for
no good reason.
I wonder if you have a little pc speaker inside that is emitting some
sort of warning beep?

Sultan

ICee

Gjergji J. wrote:
> all of the sudden, while playing a solitaire game, it started making a
> continous noise like an ambulance or police siren. Rebooting several
> times didn't change it. Thinking that it was a flaky power supply, I
> put a new power supply, but still the same noise. Do you know what
> the problem might be? If so please let me know.
>
> gjergji

As Harrison said, the CPU is overheating. Check the fans inside,
especially the one on the CPU heatsink, as it may have stopped.

Gjergji J.

> As Harrison said, the CPU is overheating. Check the fans inside,
> especially the one on the CPU heatsink, as it may have stopped.

Thank you all for your help. I think I will replace the CPU and hopefully it
will go away.

gjergji

Avengerę

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 22:52:49 -0800, "Gjergji J." <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>> As Harrison said, the CPU is overheating. Check the fans inside,
>> especially the one on the CPU heatsink, as it may have stopped.
>>

>Thank you all for your help. I think I will replace the CPU and hopefully it
>will go away.
>
>gjergji

You may *only* need to change the CPU heatsink and/or fan, NOT
necessarily the CPU itself. If you're not sure, take it to a computer
store or have someone take a look at it for you.

HTH

"Put the CAT out to reply"

Trai' La Trash

Bad fan??????

"Gjergji J." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> all of the sudden, while playing a solitaire game, it started making a
> continous noise like an ambulance or police siren. Rebooting several times
> didn't change it. Thinking that it was a flaky power supply, I put a new
> power supply, but still the same noise. Do you know what the problem might
> be? If so please let me know.
>
> gjergji

John

Avengerę <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
> On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 22:52:49 -0800, "Gjergji J." <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

> >> As Harrison said, the CPU is overheating. Check the fans inside,
> >> especially the one on the CPU heatsink, as it may have stopped.
> >>

> >Thank you all for your help. I think I will replace the CPU and hopefully it
> >will go away.
> >
> >gjergji
> >

> You may *only* need to change the CPU heatsink and/or fan, NOT
> necessarily the CPU itself. If you're not sure, take it to a computer
> store or have someone take a look at it for you.
>
> HTH
>

> (E-Mail Removed)
> "Put the CAT out to reply"

You can tell if the problem is heat related by turning off the machine
for 5 minutes and then restarting it. If the noise is not there and
then comes back after a few minutes, there is a heat problem. As
someone has said before, check the CPU fan to see if it is running.
Most likely it will not be.

Tergiversative

Gjergji J. wrote:
>>As Harrison said, the CPU is overheating. Check the fans inside,
>>especially the one on the CPU heatsink, as it may have stopped.
>>

> Thank you all for your help. I think I will replace the CPU and hopefully it
> will go away.
>
> gjergji

You should not just do that -- could be a few hundred $$ vs. perhaps $20!

Do as others said and see if the cpu *fan* is running. If not, the CPU
will overheat, but you don't need to replace the CPU, just the FAN.

Fred Seaver

look to see if you placed a disk on top of another. It does sound like a
siren )