Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Can this be fixed?

Can this be fixed?

Ron G

Win 98SE, Netscape 7.1 512 ram. Cable internet via national provider.
When downloading about 200 files to Netscape mail after a trip the pop
server kept timing out and eventually my system crashed; blue screens.
When I went to the ISP's web mail service the same thing happened.
Switched over to IE and had a recurrance. Had no problems with
alternative mail service or other web sites. Crashes became more
frequent so if I simply attempted to access pop or web mail site the ole
blue screens hit big time. No problems running other programs, including
cd burner.

In the process I lost access to my home (telephone line) network.

After struggling with terrible ISP tech support I connected with one
person who told me that the system was having terrible routing and other
problems which were slowing or temporarily disabling mail, both on the
web server and the pop one -- and that this had been a national issue
for several days. His thought was that Netscape had crashed or become
corrupted and then damaged winsock files. So, if this is plausable, is
there any way I can repair this problem without formatting and a clean
reinstall? Any way to reload clean winsocks or fix corrupted ones?

And, isn't it sweet that this company made no effort to inform or warn
customers, or even admit to a problem when called....

Thanks!

°Mike°

Something may be choking up that particular mail box. Install
Magic Mail Monitor, and check what is actually on the server.
Delete anything that you don't need, especially mails that have
large attachments.

Magic Mail Monitor
http://mmm3.sourceforge.net/

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 12:21:38 -0500, in