Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > XP Startup - multiple redrawing of icons

XP Startup - multiple redrawing of icons

Geoff Pearson

When booting up my machine seems to fill the screen with my desktop
icons, remove them and redraw them about 7 times before boot is
complete. What is it doing? Can I eliminate some of this activity? XP
SP1

°Mike°

You may have a corrupt icon cache. Delete it and reboot.
It's a hidden file, called Iconcache.db, that you can find in:

Documents and Settings\<User Name>\Local Settings\Application Data\

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 16:07:26 -0000, in
<btp800$9lshi$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>
Geoff Pearson scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Geoff Pearson

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You may have a corrupt icon cache. Delete it and reboot.
> It's a hidden file, called Iconcache.db, that you can find in:
>
> Documents and Settings\<User Name>\Local Settings\Application Data\
>

> On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 16:07:26 -0000, in
> <btp800$9lshi$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>
> Geoff Pearson scrawled:
>
> >When booting up my machine seems to fill the screen with my desktop
> >icons, remove them and redraw them about 7 times before boot is
> >complete. What is it doing? Can I eliminate some of this activity?

XP
> >SP1
> >

> --
> Basic computer maintenance

That seems to have worked! Now it draws the icons once - much more
peaceful. It doesn't seem to have recreated the iconcache.db file - or,
at least, not put one back where I deleted it from.

Harrison

A couple of things to try.

1. Check for updated drivers for your graphics adapter.

2. Try booting with the network card disconnected and see if that
improves it. If it does, try reinstalling or replacing your card.

Also check for viruses and spyware.

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 16:07:26 -0000, "Geoff Pearson"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>When booting up my machine seems to fill the screen with my desktop
>icons, remove them and redraw them about 7 times before boot is
>complete. What is it doing? Can I eliminate some of this activity? XP
>SP1

Geoff Pearson

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You may have a corrupt icon cache. Delete it and reboot.
> It's a hidden file, called Iconcache.db, that you can find in:
>
> Documents and Settings\<User Name>\Local Settings\Application Data\
>

> On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 16:07:26 -0000, in
> <btp800$9lshi$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>
> Geoff Pearson scrawled:
>
> >When booting up my machine seems to fill the screen with my desktop
> >icons, remove them and redraw them about 7 times before boot is
> >complete. What is it doing? Can I eliminate some of this activity?

XP
> >SP1
> >

> --
> Basic computer maintenance

and sorry - I should have said thank you.

°Mike°

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 16:42:25 -0000, in
<btpa1i$9f8av$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>
Geoff Pearson scrawled:

>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> You may have a corrupt icon cache. Delete it and reboot.
>> It's a hidden file, called Iconcache.db, that you can find in:
>>
>> Documents and Settings\<User Name>\Local Settings\Application Data\

<snip>

>That seems to have worked! Now it draws the icons once - much more
>peaceful. It doesn't seem to have recreated the iconcache.db file - or,
>at least, not put one back where I deleted it from.

The icon cache will be rebuilt as needed. Try rebooting again.

--
Basic computer maintenance

°Mike°

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 16:46:08 -0000, in
<btpa8h$9tv3f$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>
Geoff Pearson scrawled:

>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> You may have a corrupt icon cache. Delete it and reboot.
>> It's a hidden file, called Iconcache.db, that you can find in:
>>
>> Documents and Settings\<User Name>\Local Settings\Application Data\

<snip>

>and sorry - I should have said thank you.

You're welcome.

--
Basic computer maintenance

Geoff Pearson

<Harrison> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> A couple of things to try.
>
> 1. Check for updated drivers for your graphics adapter.
>
> 2. Try booting with the network card disconnected and see if that
> improves it. If it does, try reinstalling or replacing your card.
>
> Also check for viruses and spyware.
>
> On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 16:07:26 -0000, "Geoff Pearson"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >When booting up my machine seems to fill the screen with my desktop
> >icons, remove them and redraw them about 7 times before boot is
> >complete. What is it doing? Can I eliminate some of this activity?

XP
> >SP1

Thanks for these thoughts. Having improved the icon drawing, I ma no
trying out Mike's web page suggestion to move files out of My Documents.
I have been having terrible trouble with Outlook Express hanging when I
move form one newsgroup to another, with 100% CPU activity and I suspect
the My Docs folder is the problem.

°Mike°

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 17:20:52 -0000, in
<btpc9l$8scu8$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>
Geoff Pearson scrawled:

><Harrison> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> A couple of things to try.
>>
>> 1. Check for updated drivers for your graphics adapter.
>>
>> 2. Try booting with the network card disconnected and see if that
>> improves it. If it does, try reinstalling or replacing your card.
>>
>> Also check for viruses and spyware.
>>
>> On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 16:07:26 -0000, "Geoff Pearson"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >When booting up my machine seems to fill the screen with my desktop
>> >icons, remove them and redraw them about 7 times before boot is
>> >complete. What is it doing? Can I eliminate some of this activity?

>XP
>> >SP1
>> >

>Thanks for these thoughts. Having improved the icon drawing, I ma no
>trying out Mike's web page suggestion to move files out of My Documents.
>I have been having terrible trouble with Outlook Express hanging when I
>move form one newsgroup to another, with 100% CPU activity and I suspect
>the My Docs folder is the problem.

Try cleaning up your OE folder (Tools / Options / Maintenance).
And be sure to uncheck the option to compact in the background,
which can corrupt your .dbx files.

--
Basic computer maintenance

resizing and redrawing semi Java 5 01-28-2008 12:43 AM
JTree and those small Icons ahead folder, file etc icons. Richie Williams Java 5 10-25-2007 05:01 PM
redrawing a form =?Utf-8?B?b3NjYXI=?= ASP .Net 1 12-23-2004 04:29 PM
Redrawing of Internet Explorer Tables vs Div/Span tags sherpaa HTML 2 06-01-2004 09:38 PM
Redrawing GUI while in a for loop Marco Terzuoli Python 1 05-21-2004 01:31 AM

Advertisments