Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Can't get into BIOS

Can't get into BIOS

jason.p

I've been trying to get into Bios by hitting delete as directed on boot-up,
but so far have failed. I'm running XP Home, and have an AMD Athlon chip.
Can anyone offer any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

ICee

jason.p wrote:
> I've been trying to get into Bios by hitting delete as directed on
> boot-up, but so far have failed. I'm running XP Home, and have an AMD
> Athlon chip. Can anyone offer any suggestions?
> Thanks in advance.

Did you hold the Delet key down until you get the BIOS screen, or did
you just "hit" it.

Douglas Adams

Senti

jason.p did mumble http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)...

> I've been trying to get into Bios by hitting delete as directed on
> boot-up, but so far have failed. I'm running XP Home, and have an AMD
> Athlon chip. Can anyone offer any suggestions?
> Thanks in advance.

Try hitting the key repeatedly as some motherboard manufacturers seem to
think a billionth of a second warning is adequate. Your timing may just be
off...

Another possibility may be that your keyboard isn't recognized at that
point. This is a problem with some (most/all??) non-PS/2 keyboards.

--
~SF~
123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 12

jason.p

I've tried holding down delete key throughout boot-up. What can I do if the
keyboard isn't recognised?
news:btn17a$97d3e$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...

jason.p wrote:
> I've tried holding down delete key throughout boot-up. What can I do
> if the keyboard isn't recognised?

Is it a known good keyboard? Is it a PS/2 keyboard attached to the
system? Are you sure it's the Delete key for that BIOS? Some use the
Insert key. Try the Escape key also if that doesn't work.

> "Senti" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:btn17a$97d3e$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
>> jason.p did mumble (E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>> I've been trying to get into Bios by hitting delete as directed on
>>> boot-up, but so far have failed. I'm running XP Home, and have an
>>> AMD Athlon chip. Can anyone offer any suggestions?
>>> Thanks in advance.

>> Try hitting the key repeatedly as some motherboard manufacturers
>> seem to think a billionth of a second warning is adequate. Your
>> timing may just be off...
>>
>> Another possibility may be that your keyboard isn't recognized at
>> that point. This is a problem with some (most/all??) non-PS/2
>> keyboards.
>>
>> --
>> ~SF~
>> 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789
>> 123456789 12

Douglas Adams

jason.p

Success! rapid hitting delete key did the trick. Thanks for your help.
"jason.p" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've been trying to get into Bios by hitting delete as directed on

boot-up,
> but so far have failed. I'm running XP Home, and have an AMD Athlon chip.
> Can anyone offer any suggestions?
> Thanks in advance.

ICee

jason.p wrote:
> Success! rapid hitting delete key did the trick. Thanks for your help.

That's odd that you should have to do that, but at least it works.
You're welcome.

> "jason.p" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I've been trying to get into Bios by hitting delete as directed on
>> boot-up, but so far have failed. I'm running XP Home, and have an
>> AMD Athlon chip. Can anyone offer any suggestions?
>> Thanks in advance.

Douglas Adams

fkasner

ICee wrote:

> jason.p wrote:
>
>>Success! rapid hitting delete key did the trick. Thanks for your help.

> That's odd that you should have to do that, but at least it works.
> You're welcome.
>

>>"jason.p" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>>I've been trying to get into Bios by hitting delete as directed on
>>>boot-up, but so far have failed. I'm running XP Home, and have an
>>>AMD Athlon chip. Can anyone offer any suggestions?
>>>Thanks in advance.

I had that problem also. The changes occured too rapidly and there was
no way to get it to stop on the BIOS. Since I make changes occassionally
I just reset the startup to stop at the window that gives you the choice
of a menu. That slows things down enough so you can get it to respond to
the delete key while booting. I don't know why this change should do it,
but then again I also get a chance to get into safe mode and then can
run things such as scandisk without the incredible restart problem being
a program breaker.
FK

Senti

ICee did mumble vJFLb.610$(E-Mail Removed)...

> jason.p wrote:
>> I've tried holding down delete key throughout boot-up. What can I do
>> if the keyboard isn't recognised?

> Is it a known good keyboard? Is it a PS/2 keyboard attached to the
> system? Are you sure it's the Delete key for that BIOS? Some use the
> Insert key. Try the Escape key also if that doesn't work.

Or possibly F2...
--
~SF~
Profanity is the crutch of a conversational cripple. -Jay Alexander

Senti

ICee did mumble %lGLb.627$(E-Mail Removed)...

> jason.p wrote:
>> Success! rapid hitting delete key did the trick. Thanks for your
>> help.

> That's odd that you should have to do that, but at least it works.
> You're welcome.

Not so odd with the computers today. If I enable the quick POST setting in
my BIOS I have about a 2 second window to hit BIOS key. If I start hitting
it early I have a much better chance of actually getting into my BIOS

--
~SF~
Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped.