Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Slow Connection

Slow Connection

Ken Wood

My internet connection used to be a reliable 40Kbps - 45 on a good day. For
the last month or so it has been consistently 28.8 with the occasional 31.2.

Is this a fault with my 56K modem or is it because Freeserve has too many
subscribers in my area, so should I change my ISP.

olfart

"Ken Wood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:btkqic$189$(E-Mail Removed)...
> My internet connection used to be a reliable 40Kbps - 45 on a good day. For
> the last month or so it has been consistently 28.8 with the occasional 31.2.
>
> Is this a fault with my 56K modem or is it because Freeserve has too many
> subscribers in my area, so should I change my ISP.

first thing to check would be phone lines-could have a noisey line-just had mine
repiared today

SLP

"Ken Wood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:btkqic$189$(E-Mail Removed)...
> My internet connection used to be a reliable 40Kbps - 45 on a good day.

For
> the last month or so it has been consistently 28.8 with the occasional

31.2.

> Is this a fault with my 56K modem or is it because Freeserve has too many
> subscribers in my area, so should I change my ISP.

A lot of people have been having similar problems with Freeserve over the
last month or two, but trying a different dial-up number will often help.

Check out the Freeserve FAQ for more info:

http://www.ufaq.fsnet.co.uk/

SLP

TRADESMAN

olfart wrote:
> "Ken Wood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:btkqic$189$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> My internet connection used to be a reliable 40Kbps - 45 on a good
>> day. For the last month or so it has been consistently 28.8 with
>> the occasional 31.2.
>>
>> Is this a fault with my 56K modem or is it because Freeserve has too
>> many subscribers in my area, so should I change my ISP.
>>

> first thing to check would be phone lines-could have a noisey
> line-just had mine repiared today

I had exactly the same problem with NTL.with similar figures. Despite
constant complaints they did nothing. Exasperated, I rang them and
cancelled service. Within an hour they rang back, registered the computer to
a new address, and my speed is now a constant 48.

csrgw@yahoo.co.uk

"TRADESMAN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<btksm4$8fjqc$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>...
> olfart wrote:
> > "Ken Wood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:btkqic$189$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> My internet connection used to be a reliable 40Kbps - 45 on a good
> >> day. For the last month or so it has been consistently 28.8 with
> >> the occasional 31.2.
> >>
> >> Is this a fault with my 56K modem or is it because Freeserve has too
> >> many subscribers in my area, so should I change my ISP.
> >>

> > first thing to check would be phone lines-could have a noisey
> > line-just had mine repiared today

> I had exactly the same problem with NTL.with similar figures. Despite
> constant complaints they did nothing. Exasperated, I rang them and
> cancelled service. Within an hour they rang back, registered the computer to
> a new address, and my speed is now a constant 48.

Frankly, I'm surprised that you were able a) to phone ntl and speak to
a live person and b) that person had a acceptable command of the
English language.
I've been struggling to connect via dial-up to a number given to me by
a support person a few months ago when a 'Freedom' upgrade was
available for download and which configured a number preceded by
14701263. After a week of "The number you have dialled has not been
recognised" AND/OR "The number is busy" I was told last night by
someone in Bangalore (@ 50p/min) that the prefixes were no longer
needed as they were automatically attached in the BT exchange.
Guess what! Tonight I try without the prefix and get "The number is
busy" and after adding a 1470 prefix Lo and Behold I get connected!!

TRADESMAN

> "TRADESMAN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:<btksm4$8fjqc$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>...
>> olfart wrote:
>>> "Ken Wood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:btkqic$189$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> first thing to check would be phone lines-could have a noisey
>>> line-just had mine repiared today

>> I had exactly the same problem with NTL.with similar figures.
>> Despite constant complaints they did nothing. Exasperated, I rang
>> them and cancelled service. Within an hour they rang back,
>> registered the computer to a new address, and my speed is now a
>> constant 48.

> Frankly, I'm surprised that you were able a) to phone ntl and speak to
> a live person and b) that person had a acceptable command of the
> English language.
> I've been struggling to connect via dial-up to a number given to me by
> a support person a few months ago when a 'Freedom' upgrade was
> available for download and which configured a number preceded by
> 14701263. After a week of "The number you have dialled has not been
> recognised" AND/OR "The number is busy" I was told last night by
> someone in Bangalore (@ 50p/min) that the prefixes were no longer
> needed as they were automatically attached in the BT exchange.
> Guess what! Tonight I try without the prefix and get "The number is
> busy" and after adding a 1470 prefix Lo and Behold I get connected!!

It can be frustrating I know. But I have BB. And support is via a local
charge call in the UK, and I have never waited longer than 5 mins to speak
to a human. In my opinion it's worth the extra few pounds a month for the
tecnical support alone. Online support is ****!

Kráftéé

Ken Wood wrote:
> My internet connection used to be a reliable 40Kbps - 45 on a good
> day. For the last month or so it has been consistently 28.8 with
> the occasional 31.2.
>
> Is this a fault with my 56K modem or is it because Freeserve has
> too many subscribers in my area, so should I change my ISP.

As you are saying it is a constant 28.8, & you are using a BT line (you are
aren't you??), it is possible that you have had a pair share device
attatched to your line. This allows 1 pair of wires to carry 2 calls (thank
goodness they never actually released the 1 to 5 version). The only way you
can find out is by phoning BT & asking, politely but firmly...

If this is the problem it is still problematic about how you get it removed
as your telephone line is basically an analogue service, which you are using
for digital usage & Oftel/Ofcom's minimum spec is 28.8 so you are inside
that..

HTH