Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > EXPLANATION for Windows Explorer & MS Office Apps slowdowns today(1/8/04)

EXPLANATION for Windows Explorer & MS Office Apps slowdowns today(1/8/04)

Boomer

Tergiversative <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> The following Slashdot discussion is the only one I have so far as
> a reference, but there is a real problem -- widely reported in
> newsgroups, and I've certainly received enough calls about it! --
> with Explorer and MS Office apps slowing down. This explains the
> issue:
>
> http://slashdot.org/articles/04/01/0...id=126&tid=128
> &tid=172&tid=95
>
> I have found that, for those who can so operate, disabling your
> network connection actually helps quite a bit. Specific to MS
> Office apps, disabling NAV's integration will help with startup
> speed problems until this is resolved.
>
> I would imagine, given the millions of people affected by this
> worldwide today, that it will get resolved fairly quickly.
>
> Just thought I'd post it here as there are already a number of
> people who've posted here about the issue.
>
> -- DE

Thank you!

Tergiversative

http://slashdot.org/articles/04/01/0...tid=172&tid=95

I have found that, for those who can so operate, disabling your network
connection actually helps quite a bit. Specific to MS Office apps,
disabling NAV's integration will help with startup speed problems until
this is resolved.

I would imagine, given the millions of people affected by this worldwide
today, that it will get resolved fairly quickly.

Just thought I'd post it here as there are already a number of people
who've posted here about the issue.

-- DE

NLWard

Well, thank you, Sir!

I had wondered why things weren't moving so hot, and was about to blame it
on a couple of new installations I've done. Thanks again.

"Tergiversative" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The following Slashdot discussion is the only one I have so far as a
> reference, but there is a real problem -- widely reported in newsgroups,
> and I've certainly received enough calls about it! -- with Explorer and MS
> Office apps slowing down. This explains the issue:

http://slashdot.org/articles/04/01/0...tid=172&tid=95

> I have found that, for those who can so operate, disabling your network
> connection actually helps quite a bit. Specific to MS Office apps,
> disabling NAV's integration will help with startup speed problems until
> this is resolved.
>
> I would imagine, given the millions of people affected by this worldwide
> today, that it will get resolved fairly quickly.
>
> Just thought I'd post it here as there are already a number of people
> who've posted here about the issue.
>
> -- DE

Tergiversative

Symantec has now posted a reasonable work-around until this is resolved:

which instructs you to disable the checking for site certificate validity,
in IE options (Advanced tab.)

-- DE

Tergiversative wrote:
> The following Slashdot discussion is the only one I have so far as a
> reference, but there is a real problem -- widely reported in newsgroups,
> and I've certainly received enough calls about it! -- with Explorer and
> MS Office apps slowing down. This explains the issue:
>
> http://slashdot.org/articles/04/01/0...tid=172&tid=95
>

> I have found that, for those who can so operate, disabling your network
> connection actually helps quite a bit. Specific to MS Office apps,
> disabling NAV's integration will help with startup speed problems until
> this is resolved.
>
> I would imagine, given the millions of people affected by this worldwide
> today, that it will get resolved fairly quickly.
>
> Just thought I'd post it here as there are already a number of people
> who've posted here about the issue.
>
> -- DE

LK

On 1/8/04 8:25 PM, NLWard wrote:

> Well, thank you, Sir!
>
> I had wondered why things weren't moving so hot, and was about to blame it
> on a couple of new installations I've done. Thanks again.
>
> "Tergiversative" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>The following Slashdot discussion is the only one I have so far as a
>>reference, but there is a real problem -- widely reported in newsgroups,
>>and I've certainly received enough calls about it! -- with Explorer and MS
>>Office apps slowing down. This explains the issue:
>>

> http://slashdot.org/articles/04/01/0...tid=172&tid=95
>
>>I have found that, for those who can so operate, disabling your network
>>connection actually helps quite a bit. Specific to MS Office apps,
>>disabling NAV's integration will help with startup speed problems until
>>this is resolved.
>>
>>I would imagine, given the millions of people affected by this worldwide
>>today, that it will get resolved fairly quickly.
>>
>>Just thought I'd post it here as there are already a number of people
>>who've posted here about the issue.
>>
>>-- DE

SUN Java´s root certificate expires Jan 7th, 2004. Sun recommends
upgrading or you may have problems with verisign certificates at https
(secure) sites.

http://sunsolve.sun.com/pub-cgi/retr...salert%2F57436
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/