Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Drive Designations

Drive Designations

anon

In hindsight I seem to have made a major error in subscribing to Verizon's
DLS service. It's been a nightmare, but I don't need to go into all of the
gory details. Currently the line is lit and yesterday I received my modem.
I sat down last night to do what I thought was going to be a routine
install. During the course of installing the software you have to input
your DLS dialing number and your ZIP code. For whatever reason Verizon has
me listed in their records with an incorrect ZIP code, so what I thought was
going to be a simple procedure became just an enormous number of program
kickbacks since their database wasn't recognizing my ZIP code. At one point
I decided to reboot and start from scratch, bad move! As the system was
booting up I got hit with a "Windows could not start because the following
file is missing or corrupt: \winnt\system32\config\SYSTEMced" error message.
After about three and a half hours of fooling around with the recovery
console I finally managed to get things up and running. All seems well,
with the exception of some missing, sundry software, but what seems to be a
major issue is that all of the drive designations have gotten out of sync.
I have an A, B, C, D (CD-ROM/DVD), E (CD burner), F (ZIP), G (Iomega
Clik-it), H (Maxtor external), I (Maxtor external), J (Maxtor internal), and
K (USB stick). Unfortunately now, most of the drive designation letters are
assigned to incorrect drives. I went into CONTROL PANEL>ADMINISTRATIVE
TOOLS>COMPUTER MANAGEMENT>DISK MANAGEMENT and thought that I could just make
the necessary corrections there. For some reason though it's not as easy as
it should be particularly in the case where the only drive designation
letters I have to choose from are K to Z. What happened to A to J? How do
I make the corrections? Sorry for being so long winded.

°Mike°

HOW TO Change Drive Letter Assignments in Windows XP

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 15:13:04 -0500, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
anon scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Trax

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 15:13:04 -0500, "anon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>In hindsight I seem to have made a major error in subscribing to Verizon's
|>DLS service. It's been a nightmare, but I don't need to go into all of the
|>gory details. Currently the line is lit and yesterday I received my modem.
|>I sat down last night to do what I thought was going to be a routine
|>install. During the course of installing the software you have to input
|>your DLS dialing number and your ZIP code. For whatever reason Verizon has
|>me listed in their records with an incorrect ZIP code, so what I thought was
|>going to be a simple procedure became just an enormous number of program
|>kickbacks since their database wasn't recognizing my ZIP code. At one point
|>I decided to reboot and start from scratch, bad move! As the system was
|>booting up I got hit with a "Windows could not start because the following
|>file is missing or corrupt: \winnt\system32\config\SYSTEMced" error message.
|>After about three and a half hours of fooling around with the recovery
|>console I finally managed to get things up and running. All seems well,
|>with the exception of some missing, sundry software, but what seems to be a
|>major issue is that all of the drive designations have gotten out of sync.
|>I have an A, B, C, D (CD-ROM/DVD), E (CD burner), F (ZIP), G (Iomega
|>Clik-it), H (Maxtor external), I (Maxtor external), J (Maxtor internal), and
|>K (USB stick). Unfortunately now, most of the drive designation letters are
|>assigned to incorrect drives. I went into CONTROL PANEL>ADMINISTRATIVE
|>TOOLS>COMPUTER MANAGEMENT>DISK MANAGEMENT and thought that I could just make
|>the necessary corrections there. For some reason though it's not as easy as
|>it should be particularly in the case where the only drive designation
|>letters I have to choose from are K to Z. What happened to A to J? How do
|>I make the corrections? Sorry for being so long winded.

I had to change drive designations before, and how I had to go about it was:

change one drive to an unused letter reboot
change another drive to the now open letter
change one drive to an unused letter reboot

change another drive to the now open letter
change one drive to an unused letter reboot

change another drive to the now open letter
change one drive to an unused letter reboot

get the idea....

I'm very sure there are easier ways to do this, but it's how I had to do it.
--
,,
( "> w A Meltdown? One of those annoying buzzwords.