Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Fix for Norton=Slow

Fix for Norton=Slow

Tim Holbrook

Set the date, via the Control Panel, to 7th Jan 2003 or earlier.

NAV-2003 and your PC should then work fine.

I have the most recent NAV-2003 updates. Setting the date to 8th or
9th of Jan causes my PC to crawl.

Perhaps, Norton want us all to upgrade to NAV-2004.

Cheers
Tim Holbrook, cppWare Ltd "Improving your business"

LK

On 1/8/04 2:19 PM, Tim Holbrook wrote:
> Set the date, via the Control Panel, to 7th Jan 2003 or earlier.
>
> NAV-2003 and your PC should then work fine.
>
> I have the most recent NAV-2003 updates. Setting the date to 8th or
> 9th of Jan causes my PC to crawl.
>
> Perhaps, Norton want us all to upgrade to NAV-2004.
>
> Cheers
> Tim Holbrook, cppWare Ltd "Improving your business"

Yeah, expect other apps to have date problems this week of Jan 10.
http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1105-5129875.html

°Mike°

That has to be one of the crankiest "fixes" I've seen
for some time.

On 8 Jan 2004 12:19:58 -0800, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Tim Holbrook scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

°Mike°

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 20:29:54 GMT, in
<65jLb.7167$(E-Mail Removed)>
LK scrawled:

>On 1/8/04 2:19 PM, Tim Holbrook wrote:
>> Set the date, via the Control Panel, to 7th Jan 2003 or earlier.
>>
>> NAV-2003 and your PC should then work fine.
>>
>> I have the most recent NAV-2003 updates. Setting the date to 8th or
>> 9th of Jan causes my PC to crawl.
>>
>> Perhaps, Norton want us all to upgrade to NAV-2004.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Tim Holbrook, cppWare Ltd "Improving your business"

>Yeah, expect other apps to have date problems this week of Jan 10.
>http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1105-5129875.html

That's only for PTC software -- a mere 35,000 customers worldwide.

--

On 1/8/04 2:37 PM, °Mike° wrote:

> On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 20:29:54 GMT, in
> <65jLb.7167$(E-Mail Removed)>
> LK scrawled:
>

>>On 1/8/04 2:19 PM, Tim Holbrook wrote:
>>
>>>Set the date, via the Control Panel, to 7th Jan 2003 or earlier.
>>>
>>>NAV-2003 and your PC should then work fine.
>>>
>>>I have the most recent NAV-2003 updates. Setting the date to 8th or
>>>9th of Jan causes my PC to crawl.
>>>
>>>Perhaps, Norton want us all to upgrade to NAV-2004.
>>>
>>>Cheers
>>>Tim Holbrook, cppWare Ltd "Improving your business"

>>Yeah, expect other apps to have date problems this week of Jan 10.
>>http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1105-5129875.html

> That's only for PTC software -- a mere 35,000 customers worldwide.

True. But if software makers did not use the UNIX standard and made the
same mistake as PTC then there will be problems. I think Norton is
stupid enough to do this.

°Mike°

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 20:43:40 GMT, in
<0ijLb.7170$(E-Mail Removed)>
LK scrawled:

>On 1/8/04 2:37 PM, °Mike° wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 20:29:54 GMT, in
>> <65jLb.7167$(E-Mail Removed)>
>> LK scrawled:

>>>Yeah, expect other apps to have date problems this week of Jan 10.
>>>http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1105-5129875.html

>> That's only for PTC software -- a mere 35,000 customers worldwide.
>>

>True. But if software makers did not use the UNIX standard and made the
>same mistake as PTC then there will be problems. I think Norton is
>stupid enough to do this.

That doesn't mean that "other apps" will "have date problems this week".

--
Basic computer maintenance

Jaime

"Tim Holbrook" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> Set the date, via the Control Panel, to 7th Jan 2003 or earlier.
>
> NAV-2003 and your PC should then work fine.
>
> I have the most recent NAV-2003 updates. Setting the date to 8th or
> 9th of Jan causes my PC to crawl.
>
> Perhaps, Norton want us all to upgrade to NAV-2004.

Its due to an expiring virsign root cerificate as far as I can tell, also
applies to the poster earier with word problems. Its brought my comp to a
craw in a lot of apps. Check this slashdot article for more info:

http://slashdot.org/articles/04/01/0...tid=172&tid=95

Anyone have an better guides to fix, slashdot is general install Linux to
fix which isnt helpful.

Jaime

Tergiversative

Jaime wrote:
> "Tim Holbrook" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
>
>>Set the date, via the Control Panel, to 7th Jan 2003 or earlier.
>>
>>NAV-2003 and your PC should then work fine.
>>
>>I have the most recent NAV-2003 updates. Setting the date to 8th or
>>9th of Jan causes my PC to crawl.
>>
>>Perhaps, Norton want us all to upgrade to NAV-2004.
>>

> Its due to an expiring virsign root cerificate as far as I can tell, also
> applies to the poster earier with word problems. Its brought my comp to a
> craw in a lot of apps. Check this slashdot article for more info:
>
> http://slashdot.org/articles/04/01/0...tid=172&tid=95
>
> Anyone have an better guides to fix, slashdot is general install Linux to
> fix which isnt helpful.
>
> Jaime

Disable the checking for site certificate validity, in Internet Explorer,
per the following Symantec article:

Just FYI, merely disabling your network connection should also bring relief.

-- DE