Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > How Do I Close A Port?

How Do I Close A Port?

Si

Hi all....

my firewall has told me that someone tried to attack my pc today via a port
1135. My firewall blocked this attack.

How do I close this port, if it is open, and what is it for?

As always, your help is appreciated.

Si.

ICee

Si wrote:
> Hi all....
>
> my firewall has told me that someone tried to attack my pc today via
> a port 1135. My firewall blocked this attack.
>
> How do I close this port, if it is open, and what is it for?
>
> As always, your help is appreciated.
>
> Si.

https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Douglas Adams

Brian H¹©

Si said:

> Hi all....
>
> my firewall has told me that someone tried to attack my pc today via a port
> 1135. My firewall blocked this attack.
>
> How do I close this port, if it is open, and what is it for?
>
> As always, your help is appreciated.
>
> Si.

As your firewall is doing its job, forget about this port.

ICee

ICee wrote:
> Si wrote:
>> Hi all....
>>
>> my firewall has told me that someone tried to attack my pc today via
>> a port 1135. My firewall blocked this attack.
>>
>> How do I close this port, if it is open, and what is it for?
>>
>> As always, your help is appreciated.
>>
>> Si.

> https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

This is a more direct port lookup: http://grc.com/PortDataHelp.htm

Douglas Adams

why?

On Wed, 7 Jan 2004 18:35:55 -0000, Si wrote:

>Hi all....
>
>my firewall has told me that someone tried to attack my pc today via a port
>1135. My firewall blocked this attack.

Fine, it's doing what it is meant to do.

>How do I close this port, if it is open, and what is it for?

For a closed port don't have any services running on that port.
http://www.netsys.com/firewalls/fire.../msg00250.html

If you mean closed v stealth. There is differing points of view. The RFC
Internet standard IIRC calls for not using stealth, applications should
be able to determine if a port is there and it's state.

http://outpostfirewall.com/guide/the...system_tab.htm
See 3 - Answer Type
This section contains a setting that you will probably never have a need
to alter as it controls how Outpost answers communication to a closed
port.

Try (assuming Win OS, as your msg header has OE6)
http://www.sysinternals.com/
Pick OS
Utilities
TDImon and/or TCPview for GUI versions of the netstat command.

>As always, your help is appreciated.

Port Numbers/Functions

ripped from a recent post in 24HSHD IIRC
http://ports.tantalo.net/

List of - Well Known Ports,
the Registered Ports, and the Dynamic and/or Private Ports.
which happens to be on that page also.

Me