Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Win 98 and XP dual boot problems

Win 98 and XP dual boot problems

Daz

Hi,

I have a problem which requires someone's expert advice.
I have a system which has Win 98 and XP OS on it.
On boot up it asks me which system to run.
Unfortunately I ran the PC's original restore disk(re-formatting the hard
drive) back to it's original state, ie prior to XP being loaded.
PROBLEM!
It seemed to load the original software back on, but after finishing I get
an explorer.exe and something about 'brows.eui'
I have a couple of questions please:

1. When you load XP onto a Win 98 machine, does this create a partition and
is this why I am getting error.
2. Once you have XP alongside Win 98, is there a way of removing XP to go
back to original settings.

Hope I have explained this clearly enough.

All I would like to do is reformat the hard drive as one drive...C:\
Perhaps someone could let me know how this is done.

Many thanks in advance,

Daz.

--
This email has been scanned by Norton Internet Security software and is
virus free!

philo

"Daz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bthf2u$n33$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Hi,
>
> I have a problem which requires someone's expert advice.
> I have a system which has Win 98 and XP OS on it.
> On boot up it asks me which system to run.
> Unfortunately I ran the PC's original restore disk(re-formatting the hard
> drive) back to it's original state, ie prior to XP being loaded.
> PROBLEM!
> It seemed to load the original software back on, but after finishing I get
> an explorer.exe and something about 'brows.eui'
> I have a couple of questions please:
>
> 1. When you load XP onto a Win 98 machine, does this create a partition

and
> is this why I am getting error.
> 2. Once you have XP alongside Win 98, is there a way of removing XP to go
> back to original settings.
>
> Hope I have explained this clearly enough.
>
> All I would like to do is reformat the hard drive as one drive...C:\
> Perhaps someone could let me know how this is done.
>
> Many thanks in advance,
>
> Daz.

although XP can be installed on the same partition as win98
you will definately end up with problems...

the best thing to do is create at least a primary and a logical partition

tinstall win98 first

then install XP on your second partition

Trax

On Wed, 7 Jan 2004 17:19:26 -0000, "Daz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>Hi,
|>
|>I have a problem which requires someone's expert advice.
|>I have a system which has Win 98 and XP OS on it.
|>On boot up it asks me which system to run.
|>Unfortunately I ran the PC's original restore disk(re-formatting the hard
|>drive) back to it's original state, ie prior to XP being loaded.
|>PROBLEM!
|>It seemed to load the original software back on, but after finishing I get
|>an explorer.exe and something about 'brows.eui'
|>I have a couple of questions please:
|>
|>1. When you load XP onto a Win 98 machine, does this create a partition and
|>is this why I am getting error.
|>2. Once you have XP alongside Win 98, is there a way of removing XP to go
|>back to original settings.
|>
|>Hope I have explained this clearly enough.
|>

|>Many thanks in advance,
|>
|>Daz.

To restore 98:
Delete the directory Winnt
Boot up with your 98 start-up disk and type:
sys a: c:

|>All I would like to do is reformat the hard drive as one drive...C:\

You fail to mention how many partitions you have to format C:\ drive
Boot up with your 98 start-up disk and type:
format c: /U
then sys a: c: to allow access to your drive.
--
,,
( "> w