Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Reccomend a new Comp.

Reccomend a new Comp.

Hush-up!!

Could anyone recommend a new computer ? Is there such a thing as a Rolls
Royce of Ferrari " of computers ?
Right. What do I use it for ? .....Ebay - I do a lot of selling stuff - so
I need to be able to store a lot of pictures. Accounts - I need to send
out lots of invoices as I run a small business. Email - I'm always sending
Emails. Playing CD's.... Ms Word - I.m always writing letters.... Google
....I,m always surfing . . . I tried contacting Dell and gave up after
almost an hour trying to get through to them .... Anyone got any
recommendations.... Budget is probably 1500 - I dont need a scanner or
printer- Flat screen would be nice - stop my bloody cat from sleeping on top
of the terminal.......Ohh we live on Bodmin Moor so Broadband is out of the
question for another ten years at least !!!!
Thanks in advance

John

Dagger

Depends on what you want to spend.
Here is what I did. I found a computer geek and store and had them build me
the best I could afford
That way I dont have to put up with all the propriatory crap
Saved a bunch over retail, cause you can negotiate everything
DCD

"Hush-up!!" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bthekm$t8t$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Could anyone recommend a new computer ? Is there such a thing as a Rolls
> Royce of Ferrari " of computers ?
> Right. What do I use it for ? .....Ebay - I do a lot of selling stuff -

so
> I need to be able to store a lot of pictures. Accounts - I need to send
> out lots of invoices as I run a small business. Email - I'm always sending
> Emails. Playing CD's.... Ms Word - I.m always writing letters.... Google
> ...I,m always surfing . . . I tried contacting Dell and gave up after
> almost an hour trying to get through to them .... Anyone got any
> recommendations.... Budget is probably 1500 - I dont need a scanner or
> printer- Flat screen would be nice - stop my bloody cat from sleeping on

top
> of the terminal.......Ohh we live on Bodmin Moor so Broadband is out of

the
> question for another ten years at least !!!!
> Thanks in advance
>
> John

CJ

Hi,

I bought a one from Mesh 3 years ago and it has performed fault free.

http://www.meshcomputers.com/updated/index.htm

They cater from starter systems to Wow! look at that ones!

They now do 3yrs on-site warranty for another 69.

One of their latest "Dream" machines can be seen here

http://www.meshcomputers.com/updated...643200ejoy.htm

CJ

"Hush-up!!" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bthekm$t8t$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Could anyone recommend a new computer ? Is there such a thing as a

Rolls
> Royce of Ferrari " of computers ?
> Right. What do I use it for ? .....Ebay - I do a lot of selling

stuff - so
> I need to be able to store a lot of pictures. Accounts - I need to

send
> out lots of invoices as I run a small business. Email - I'm always

sending
> Emails. Playing CD's.... Ms Word - I.m always writing letters....

Google
> ...I,m always surfing . . . I tried contacting Dell and gave up after
> almost an hour trying to get through to them .... Anyone got any
> recommendations.... Budget is probably 1500 - I dont need a scanner

or
> printer- Flat screen would be nice - stop my bloody cat from sleeping

on top
> of the terminal.......Ohh we live on Bodmin Moor so Broadband is out

of the
> question for another ten years at least !!!!
> Thanks in advance
>
> John

Alexander Rogge

> Could anyone recommend a new computer ?

Do you want something that's a complete package or something to assemble
yourself?

> Is there such a thing as a Ferrari of computers ?

Yes, but they are very expensive.

http://www.apple.com/ilife/iphoto/

http://www.mozilla.org/

http://www.apple.com/ilife/itunes/

http://www.openoffice.org/

> Flat screen would be nice

http://www.apple.com/imac/graphics.html

If you want to assemble your own system, just find a local dealer and
get a basic system with a motherboard, memory, and power supply. You
can add the other hardware yourself, and then get a Linux distribution
installed:

http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/9.1/features/
http://www.suse.com/us/private/products/suse_linux/

Martik

For what you describe all you need is a basic PC. Athlon 2100+, 256mb ram,
80GB WD JB (3yr warranty), MSI K7N2GM-L M/B with graphics, CDRW and a
17" flat screen should cost no more than $600US.

I would go for the Linux solution too but dual boot with windows until you
are comfortable with it.

If you want the so-called Rolls Royce look at apple.com but you will pay
at least triple for less performance.

Budweiser

"Hush-up!!" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bthekm$t8t$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Could anyone recommend a new computer ? Is there such a thing as a Rolls
> Royce of Ferrari " of computers ?
> Right. What do I use it for ? .....Ebay - I do a lot of selling stuff -

so
> I need to be able to store a lot of pictures. Accounts - I need to send
> out lots of invoices as I run a small business. Email - I'm always sending
> Emails. Playing CD's.... Ms Word - I.m always writing letters.... Google
> ...I,m always surfing . . . I tried contacting Dell and gave up after
> almost an hour trying to get through to them .... Anyone got any
> recommendations.... Budget is probably 1500 - I dont need a scanner or
> printer- Flat screen would be nice - stop my bloody cat from sleeping on

top
> of the terminal.......Ohh we live on Bodmin Moor so Broadband is out of

the
> question for another ten years at least !!!!
> Thanks in advance
>
> John

not sure how you will take this

you type abit and surf and play a few music cd
what is wrong with your current machine? i doubt anything could be done to
improve your experience

from your description --get a larger drive and a good sound card plus some
decent speakers
maybe add some memory
writing letters can only be improved with typing skills
sending mail can only improve with a better connection
best bet is go to "boxes-r-us" and get a mid price new machine if you
percieve a new box will improve your life
just my0.2

Ski

>Could anyone recommend a new computer ? Is there such a thing as a Rolls
>Royce of Ferrari " of computers ?

IMO, in order...the first 2, if ya gotta ask how much, you can't afford it...

1. www.voodoopc.com

2. www.falcon-nw.com

3. www.Alienware.com

Talking to Dell about a high end computer is like talking to Kia about a
Formula 1 ride...LOL!

Ski
"The only way to find out how far is too far...
is to go there"
(remove spleen to e-mail)

Cathy Friedmann

You can put together a Dell computer on their website.

Cathy (has a Dell)

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

"Hush-up!!" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bthekm$t8t$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Could anyone recommend a new computer ? Is there such a thing as a Rolls
> Royce of Ferrari " of computers ?
> Right. What do I use it for ? .....Ebay - I do a lot of selling stuff -

so
> I need to be able to store a lot of pictures. Accounts - I need to send
> out lots of invoices as I run a small business. Email - I'm always sending
> Emails. Playing CD's.... Ms Word - I.m always writing letters.... Google
> ...I,m always surfing . . . I tried contacting Dell and gave up after
> almost an hour trying to get through to them .... Anyone got any
> recommendations.... Budget is probably 1500 - I dont need a scanner or
> printer- Flat screen would be nice - stop my bloody cat from sleeping on

top
> of the terminal.......Ohh we live on Bodmin Moor so Broadband is out of

the
> question for another ten years at least !!!!
> Thanks in advance
>
> John

Trax

On Wed, 7 Jan 2004 17:11:51 +0000 (UTC), "Hush-up!!" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>Could anyone recommend a new computer ? Is there such a thing as a Rolls
|>Royce of Ferrari " of computers ?

Top of the line internet/networking system is a Sun Sparc WorkStation.
Building one starts here: http://www.sun.com/processors/index.html

|> Budget is probably ?1500 -

If you have to ask, you can't afford it.
--
,,
( "> w

Alexander Rogge

> Top of the line internet/networking system is a Sun Sparc WorkStation.

PHB: "Why does it cost more than those Dell units that are supported by
the help desk?"