Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Network connection on fritz

Network connection on fritz

mwmith15

Hello,

I have a wireless network at home that has ben up for some time now.
have a wired machine connected to the router and 2 laptops connected
wirelessly. One laptop still connects flawlessly, however, the othe
ris having problems. I purchased for my fiance for christmas and has
been functioning properly. But now, the wireless icon in the system
tray will throw popup saying that it is unconnected but there are
networks in range. When i view networks it shows nothing and states
none are in range. I cannot connect in any way. It is running XP
Home. I have removed Norton's thinking something was happening with
it, but that did not help either... any help would be great!

Thanks
Matt

Malke

mwmith15 wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a wireless network at home that has ben up for some time now.
> have a wired machine connected to the router and 2 laptops connected
> wirelessly. One laptop still connects flawlessly, however, the othe
> ris having problems. I purchased for my fiance for christmas and has
> been functioning properly. But now, the wireless icon in the system
> tray will throw popup saying that it is unconnected but there are
> networks in range. When i view networks it shows nothing and states
> none are in range. I cannot connect in any way. It is running XP
> Home. I have removed Norton's thinking something was happening with
> it, but that did not help either... any help would be great!

Since everything works except for one laptop, I'd try:

1. First, make sure the laptop is completely malware/virus-free since
malware often affects connectivity. Here are general malware removal
steps:

2. Since the machine is a laptop, it is easy to take it somewhere else
and try to connect, to a friend's wireless network for instance. If no
networks show up, perhaps the wireless adapter itself is dying. If the
laptop doesn't see foreign wireless networks, then try a different
wireless adapter.

3. Are you using the Windows wireless manager or the one that came with
the wireless adapter? Try switching to the other method.

4. Always ask: what changed between the time things worked and the time
they didn't? Install any driver updates, particularly from Windows
Update which is a Bad Idea, third-party programs, other updates?

5. Look in EventViewer to see if there are clues.
Start>Run>eventvwr.msc [enter]

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

mwsmith15

I will look into these things, however, I can pick up other unsecure
networks with my other laptop and cannot with the poblem laptop. So, I
thought the internal wireless card may be bad. I can still ping back
to myself though, I guess I figured if I could do that the device
should be working properly. When I get home I will try to get a card
and use it. Also, I removed Norton's AFTER running a scan which
returned no problems. It was throwing script on page errors when I
tried to change something. I think it is infected with a virus...

Thanks,

Malke

mwsmith15 wrote:

> I will look into these things, however, I can pick up other unsecure
> networks with my other laptop and cannot with the poblem laptop. So,
> thought the internal wireless card may be bad. I can still ping back
> to myself though, I guess I figured if I could do that the device
> should be working properly. When I get home I will try to get a card
> and use it. Also, I removed Norton's AFTER running a scan which
> returned no problems. It was throwing script on page errors when I
> tried to change something. I think it is infected with a virus...
>
> Thanks,

If you think the computer is infected, make cleaning it up your first
priority. The network problems may be solved after that.

Malke