Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Problems in XP enabeling UDMA66 on the VIA Apollo Pro 133A Chipset (TYAN S1854 MoBo)

Reply
Thread Tools

Problems in XP enabeling UDMA66 on the VIA Apollo Pro 133A Chipset (TYAN S1854 MoBo)

 
 
Tim
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-06-2004


ok, have a shiny new 80 pin IDE connector, two drives on the channel.
BIOS says UDMA-4 (UDMA-66) enabled, Windows XP says UDMA-3 (UDMA-33).

Can't find any info anywhere or any registry edits to enable UDMA-66
in XP on this chipset (just the intel hack - added the key and nothing
changed).


ideas?? TIA
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
ICee
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-06-2004
Tim wrote:
> ok, have a shiny new 80 pin IDE connector, two drives on the channel.
> BIOS says UDMA-4 (UDMA-66) enabled, Windows XP says UDMA-3 (UDMA-33).
>
> Can't find any info anywhere or any registry edits to enable UDMA-66
> in XP on this chipset (just the intel hack - added the key and nothing
> changed).
>
>
> ideas?? TIA


What are the two drives on the channel? Are both UDMA 66? Are they set
as Master and Slave or Cable Select?

--
"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by."
Douglas Adams


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Tim
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-06-2004
On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 23:39:45 GMT, "ICee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Tim wrote:
>> ok, have a shiny new 80 pin IDE connector, two drives on the channel.
>> BIOS says UDMA-4 (UDMA-66) enabled, Windows XP says UDMA-3 (UDMA-33).
>>
>> Can't find any info anywhere or any registry edits to enable UDMA-66
>> in XP on this chipset (just the intel hack - added the key and nothing
>> changed).
>>
>>
>> ideas?? TIA

>
>What are the two drives on the channel? Are both UDMA 66? Are they set
>as Master and Slave or Cable Select?




Using 2 seagate drives that are both ATA100 - 40GB one is set to
master, 80GB is slave. IDE Cable is brand new and 80 pin.

BIOS screen confirms its set to UDMA-66 (thats the max for the Tyan
S1854 mobo).

Tried just the master drive on the primary IDE channel by itself,
didn't make a difference.

It appears to be set by windows... man... I'm stumped!!
 
Reply With Quote
 
ICee
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-07-2004
Tim wrote:
> On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 23:39:45 GMT, "ICee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Tim wrote:
>>> ok, have a shiny new 80 pin IDE connector, two drives on the
>>> channel. BIOS says UDMA-4 (UDMA-66) enabled, Windows XP says UDMA-3
>>> (UDMA-33).
>>>
>>> Can't find any info anywhere or any registry edits to enable UDMA-66
>>> in XP on this chipset (just the intel hack - added the key and
>>> nothing changed).
>>>
>>>
>>> ideas?? TIA

>>
>> What are the two drives on the channel? Are both UDMA 66? Are they
>> set as Master and Slave or Cable Select?

>
>
>
> Using 2 seagate drives that are both ATA100 - 40GB one is set to
> master, 80GB is slave. IDE Cable is brand new and 80 pin.
>
> BIOS screen confirms its set to UDMA-66 (thats the max for the Tyan
> S1854 mobo).
>
> Tried just the master drive on the primary IDE channel by itself,
> didn't make a difference.
>
> It appears to be set by windows... man... I'm stumped!!


That is odd. Unfortunately, I have no idea what the solution is. XP
seems to set the DMA mode on it's own and there is only a selection
between PIO mode and DMA if available.
Hopefully, someone will come along with an idea what to do.


--
"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by."
Douglas Adams


 
Reply With Quote
 
Ralph Wade Phillips
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-07-2004
Howdy!

"Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>
> ok, have a shiny new 80 pin IDE connector, two drives on the channel.
> BIOS says UDMA-4 (UDMA-66) enabled, Windows XP says UDMA-3 (UDMA-33).


And how is the cable run? If you turn the cable around, the cable
doesn't ID to the MB as an ATA-66+ cable.

RwP


 
Reply With Quote
 
Unk
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-07-2004
On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 18:32:27 -0500, Tim <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>
>
>ok, have a shiny new 80 pin IDE connector, two drives on the channel.
>BIOS says UDMA-4 (UDMA-66) enabled, Windows XP says UDMA-3 (UDMA-33).
>
>Can't find any info anywhere or any registry edits to enable UDMA-66
>in XP on this chipset (just the intel hack - added the key and nothing
>changed).
>
>
>ideas?? TIA

Maybe some help here:

Ultra DMA Mode 6 Devices Are Not Enabled on VIA Motherboards
After You Install Windows XP SP1
http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q327805

Windows XP Service Pack 1 Incorrectly Identifies the VIA
VT82C686B Chipset as Supporting Ultra DMA Mode 6
http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q813861

Integrated Technology Express Devices May Not Work with Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q329180

HOW TO: Troubleshoot Issues That Occur When You Write Data
to a CD-R or CD-RW Optical Disc in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q324129

How to Troubleshoot Issues with Reading CD, CD-R, CD-RW,
and DVD Discs
http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q321641
HOW TO: Manage Devices in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q283658

HOW TO: Configure Devices By Using Device Manager in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;307970



 
Reply With Quote
 
Tim
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-07-2004
On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 18:15:51 -0600, "Ralph Wade Phillips"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Howdy!
>
>"Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>
>>
>> ok, have a shiny new 80 pin IDE connector, two drives on the channel.
>> BIOS says UDMA-4 (UDMA-66) enabled, Windows XP says UDMA-3 (UDMA-33).

>
> And how is the cable run? If you turn the cable around, the cable
>doesn't ID to the MB as an ATA-66+ cable.
>
> RwP
>



Hi,


The section of cable with the two clips on each end are attached to
the motherboard. The other two pieces that are notched are attached to
the drives... haven't tried reversing them. I did try a plain ole' 40
pin IDE cable on one of the drives just to see what would happen and
it forced it do UDMA-1 for some reason (again BIOS shows UDMA-4).


Quirky!
 
Reply With Quote
 
Tim
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-07-2004
On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 20:00:02 -0500, Unk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 18:32:27 -0500, Tim <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>
>>
>>ok, have a shiny new 80 pin IDE connector, two drives on the channel.
>>BIOS says UDMA-4 (UDMA-66) enabled, Windows XP says UDMA-3 (UDMA-33).
>>
>>Can't find any info anywhere or any registry edits to enable UDMA-66
>>in XP on this chipset (just the intel hack - added the key and nothing
>>changed).
>>
>>
>>ideas?? TIA

>Maybe some help here:
>
>Ultra DMA Mode 6 Devices Are Not Enabled on VIA Motherboards
>After You Install Windows XP SP1
>http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q327805
>
>Windows XP Service Pack 1 Incorrectly Identifies the VIA
>VT82C686B Chipset as Supporting Ultra DMA Mode 6
>http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q813861
>
>Integrated Technology Express Devices May Not Work with Windows XP
>http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q329180
>
>HOW TO: Troubleshoot Issues That Occur When You Write Data
>to a CD-R or CD-RW Optical Disc in Windows XP
>http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q324129
>
>How to Troubleshoot Issues with Reading CD, CD-R, CD-RW,
>and DVD Discs
>http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q321641
>HOW TO: Manage Devices in Windows XP
>http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q283658
>
>HOW TO: Configure Devices By Using Device Manager in Windows XP
>http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;307970
>
>




Tried the top 2, my chipset is VT82C694X but the problem people were
having is oddly similar - UDMA-5 drive/board but XP will only run in
UDMA-4.

Anyway, have the latest IDE VIA drivers installed on this hunk.. this
is starting to drive me insane.


I wanted to get the ABIT VP6 (for dual p3 1ghz CPUs and an extra DIMM
bank).. it has 4 IDE channels, ATA100 and RAID but it has the same
VIA 133 VT82C694X chipset... if the drivers are going to be messed up
with that board its kinda pointless.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Sano
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-07-2004
In my limited experience, that chipset is ****.

It got harder and harder to find references to it on the Via site, about a
year ago. And any reference to it in their forums seems to be absent.

<insert convenient conspiracy theory here ____________>

Tim <(E-Mail Removed)> spluttered in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

>
>
> ok, have a shiny new 80 pin IDE connector, two drives on the channel.
> BIOS says UDMA-4 (UDMA-66) enabled, Windows XP says UDMA-3 (UDMA-33).
>
> Can't find any info anywhere or any registry edits to enable UDMA-66
> in XP on this chipset (just the intel hack - added the key and nothing
> changed).
>
>
> ideas?? TIA




--
The tongue weighs practically nothing,
But so few people can hold it.
 
Reply With Quote
 
ICee
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-07-2004
Tim wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 18:15:51 -0600, "Ralph Wade Phillips"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Howdy!
>>
>> "Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>>
>>> ok, have a shiny new 80 pin IDE connector, two drives on the
>>> channel. BIOS says UDMA-4 (UDMA-66) enabled, Windows XP says UDMA-3
>>> (UDMA-33).

>>
>> And how is the cable run? If you turn the cable around, the
>> cable doesn't ID to the MB as an ATA-66+ cable.
>>
>> RwP
>>

>
>
> Hi,
>
>
> The section of cable with the two clips on each end are attached to
> the motherboard. The other two pieces that are notched are attached to
> the drives... haven't tried reversing them. I did try a plain ole' 40
> pin IDE cable on one of the drives just to see what would happen and
> it forced it do UDMA-1 for some reason (again BIOS shows UDMA-4).
>
>
> Quirky!


That part is not quirky. ATA-66 and above require a 80 conductor, 40
pin cable.

--
"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by."
Douglas Adams


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to connect instantly after enabeling wireless switch Rene Wireless Networking 1 05-31-2008 02:07 PM
Enabeling Add-Ons =?Utf-8?B?Y29uZnVzZWQ=?= Wireless Networking 2 07-28-2006 03:29 AM
udma66 & a second drive dakine Computer Support 1 01-03-2005 02:31 AM
Wireless drops after enabeling WEP Security Jim Wireless Networking 1 12-01-2004 11:48 PM



Advertisments