Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Computer freeze up on start up

Computer freeze up on start up

Chuck S

Last night my computer froze up while I was working on a document in word .
I had to restart it and when I did the restart it would go through the
process but when it got to a certain point after my desktop was showing
everything would stop . The hourglass was just sitting there . My mouse
would move but I couldn't click anything . Well I got this on every restart
.. And to restart I would just have to push and hold the off switch . I have
done this over and over .......... now in 1 out of 20 times it would
complete the startup process and I would be able to work as normal . But I
wanted to find the problem so I would do what I could to find it . Well it
got to where it would take more restarts to get it to load everything .
Then on one of my restarts I lost my active desktop .............. and every
since that I am able to restart fine every time . So I am thinking that for
some reason my active desktop loading is the problem . Now thinking back it
does seem as though when the desktop was loading before ......... that's
when it would freeze . I would always get the scheduler icon that would load
at the bottom and like the desktop would flicker then freeze . I have not
yet restarted my active desktop and it seems to work fine .
Now for my background on my desktop I have a webpage like deal that I made
that loads . Not a normal desktop . Its a like a webpage I did that has
links on it pointing to the normal desktop things like my documents and
things instead of doing the normal short cut things . I have had it like
that for 6 or 8 months and never had a problem . I do plane on changing it
back to a normal looking windows desktop to see if that it in someway the
problem but wanted to know that it that's not the problem what else should I
look at that may be the problem . I am using windows 98 se with all the
updates . I have also got a back up using ghost that I could use , its about
a month old . I was also able to do another ghost back up today also . So I
have both of those in case I have to do a restore . I am really not wanting
to go that route unless I just have to . I hope this is enough info .
Yes I do plan on upgrading to xp . Even bought xp but have never
put xp on here for my own reason yet .
Anyone have any ideas out there .

Alexander Rogge

http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/9.1/features/