Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Installing XP and Linux

Installing XP and Linux

Trax

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 14:34:13 -0600, "John Seeliger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>This relates to news:bta66j$4vpur$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de. I think I
|>may have gone beyond the scope of that newsgroup,

Wow! what a time warp that message took me to a group I haven't seen in four
years. Lot's of saved messages, none that'd help you tho..

Thanks for the memories both good and bad - the bad all revolved around that
damn graphic fdisk that comes bundled with Redhat.

|>When I try fdisk again, I get the type 0 error again. Where do I go from
|>here?

Pretty much follow philo's advice. Especially that part about NTFS not being
able to be read by Linux.
--
,,
( "> w "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life

John Seeliger

This relates to news:bta66j$4vpur$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de. I think I
may have gone beyond the scope of that newsgroup, so I am posting in these.
I am trying to set up a system with Windows XP and Linux both on the same 40
GB HD. I was told to create an NTFS partition with XP and install it there
and create an extended partition on the rest and set up other partitions for
XP's swap file, 2 about the size of a CD for burning CD's, one with a shared
space for both Linux and Windows and a few others.

I initially set up a 6144 MB partition and put Windows on it. Then I tried
using fdisk and created an extended partition and then created a logical
partition for XP's swap file and was going to go on and create the rest, but
I don't know how to use fdisk and didn't know how to determine the file
format using it. So I delete the swap partition and later when I restarted
the Linux installation CD and chose manual format, it gave me an error about
not being able to read the format of the extended partition.

Subsequently, I put the XP install CD in and created a raw partition using
the rest of the space and wanted to format it using fat32 since some of the
logical partitions would be for Linux, but it would only let me do NTFS. I
should have just turned the computer off, but I went ahead and reformatted
it. And then, even though I didn't want to it started to install XP again
or at least it did something so that even though I didn't reenter the
product key, etc. when I restarted the computer, it saw two copies of XP or
at least the boot record and it was trying to boot from one of them, and
couldn't because I had stopped it from installing Windows the second time.

I then was able to select the other copy, if I was fast enough during the
boot-up sequence, and it worked fine, but since I didn't like always having
to catch it, I just went ahead and reinstalled it, so now it has two copies,
the default one works, the other doesn't.

When I get into XP, it sees ~6 GB C: drive only, which for now is good (I
thought it would be seeing a 34 GB drive).

When I try fdisk again, I get the type 0 error again. Where do I go from
here?

--
John Seeliger Limited but increasing content
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) <http://www.freewebz.com/hudathunkett/>

philo

"John Seeliger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:btcho6$5q9qs$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> This relates to news:bta66j$4vpur$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de. I think

> may have gone beyond the scope of that newsgroup, so I am posting in

these.
> I am trying to set up a system with Windows XP and Linux both on the same

40

Since it sounds like you messed it up...run fdisk and delete
everything...then
start over.

there are many ways to do it...here is one :

First create an active primary partition for your XP installation.
Make it whatever size you thing is reasonable...and do not make a seperate
swap partition.

next create an extended partition

now you can install XP on your primary partition
(NTFS is generally preferable...but if you want to access the drive from
Linux
Fat32 may be better)

after you have XP installed and working
you can install Linux...
the first thing you do is delete the extended partition to create the space
to form your linux partitions. You will need at least one partition for "/ "
and one for "swap" an add'l partition for /home is not a bad idea
incase you need to reinstall of upgrade your Linux at a later date...
you can put your data and config. files there
You

Harrison

Way overcomplicated.

1. Run Windows setup and format the desired amount for the Windows
installation, leaving the rest as unpartitioned space.

2. Use Red Hat 9 or Mandrake for you chosen Linux installation.
Either will allow you to set up the Linux partitions as desired during
the installation.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>This relates to news:bta66j$4vpur$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de. I think I
>may have gone beyond the scope of that newsgroup, so I am posting in these.
>I am trying to set up a system with Windows XP and Linux both on the same 40
>GB HD. I was told to create an NTFS partition with XP and install it there
>and create an extended partition on the rest and set up other partitions for
>XP's swap file, 2 about the size of a CD for burning CD's, one with a shared
>space for both Linux and Windows and a few others.
>
>I initially set up a 6144 MB partition and put Windows on it. Then I tried
>using fdisk and created an extended partition and then created a logical
>partition for XP's swap file and was going to go on and create the rest, but
>I don't know how to use fdisk and didn't know how to determine the file
>format using it. So I delete the swap partition and later when I restarted
>the Linux installation CD and chose manual format, it gave me an error about
>not being able to read the format of the extended partition.
>
>Subsequently, I put the XP install CD in and created a raw partition using
>the rest of the space and wanted to format it using fat32 since some of the
>logical partitions would be for Linux, but it would only let me do NTFS. I
>should have just turned the computer off, but I went ahead and reformatted
>it. And then, even though I didn't want to it started to install XP again
>or at least it did something so that even though I didn't reenter the
>product key, etc. when I restarted the computer, it saw two copies of XP or
>at least the boot record and it was trying to boot from one of them, and
>couldn't because I had stopped it from installing Windows the second time.
>
>I then was able to select the other copy, if I was fast enough during the
>boot-up sequence, and it worked fine, but since I didn't like always having
>to catch it, I just went ahead and reinstalled it, so now it has two copies,
>the default one works, the other doesn't.
>
>When I get into XP, it sees ~6 GB C: drive only, which for now is good (I
>thought it would be seeing a 34 GB drive).
>
>When I try fdisk again, I get the type 0 error again. Where do I go from
>here?

Dr Halonfire$

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Harrison <Harrison> gushed forth the following drivel. :-
>> Way overcomplicated.
>>
>> 1. Run Windows setup and format the desired amount for the Windows
>> installation, leaving the rest as unpartitioned space.
>>
>> 2. Use Red Hat 9 or Mandrake for you chosen Linux installation.
>> Either will allow you to set up the Linux partitions as desired
>> during the installation.
>>

>> On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 14:34:13 -0600, "John Seeliger"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> This relates to news:bta66j$4vpur$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de.
>>> I think I may have gone beyond the scope of that newsgroup, so I am
>>> posting in these. I am trying to set up a system with Windows XP
>>> and Linux both on the same 40 GB HD. I was told to create an NTFS
>>> partition with XP and install it there and create an extended
>>> partition on the rest and set up other partitions for XP's swap
>>> file, 2 about the size of a CD for burning CD's, one with a shared
>>> space for both Linux and Windows and a few others.
>>>
>>> I initially set up a 6144 MB partition and put Windows on it. Then
>>> I tried using fdisk and created an extended partition and then
>>> created a logical partition for XP's swap file and was going to go
>>> on and create the rest, but I don't know how to use fdisk and
>>> didn't know how to determine the file format using it. So I delete
>>> the swap partition and later when I restarted the Linux
>>> installation CD and chose manual format, it gave me an error about
>>> not being able to read the format of the extended partition.
>>>
>>> Subsequently, I put the XP install CD in and created a raw
>>> partition using the rest of the space and wanted to format it using
>>> fat32 since some of the logical partitions would be for Linux, but
>>> it would only let me do NTFS. I should have just turned the
>>> computer off, but I went ahead and reformatted it. And then, even
>>> though I didn't want to it started to install XP again or at least
>>> it did something so that even though I didn't reenter the product
>>> key, etc. when I restarted the computer, it saw two copies of XP or
>>> at least the boot record and it was trying to boot from one of
>>> them, and couldn't because I had stopped it from installing Windows
>>> the second time.
>>>
>>> I then was able to select the other copy, if I was fast enough
>>> during the boot-up sequence, and it worked fine, but since I didn't
>>> like always having to catch it, I just went ahead and reinstalled
>>> it, so now it has two copies, the default one works, the other
>>> doesn't.
>>>
>>> When I get into XP, it sees ~6 GB C: drive only, which for now is
>>> good (I thought it would be seeing a 34 GB drive).
>>>
>>> When I try fdisk again, I get the type 0 error again. Where do I
>>> go from here?

Why bother with Linux? You've done the decent thing and paid for XP (Unless
it's warez.) so why bother with substandard crap that the ****s have a
problem *giving* away?
--
My main website is at
http://tinyurl.com/t7tg

The CHEAPEST utility services in the UK :-
http://www.telecomplus.org.uk/activate
See for yourself.

Biblical Hebrew - www.rtsvirtual.org
Study Biblical Hebrew online Fully accredited or audit

---

paul s

On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 22:43:59 +0000, Dr Halonfire$ wrote:

> Why bother with Linux? You've done the decent thing and paid for XP (Unless
> it's warez.) so why bother with substandard crap that the ****s have a
> problem *giving* away?

And what about that other 'substandard crap' Outlook Express that
Micro$oft give away. ?

--
Paul S

paul s

In article <btcpbg$5l4mt$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...

Why bother with Linux? You've done the decent thing and paid for XP
(Unless
it's warez.) so why bother with substandard crap that the ****s have a
problem *giving* away?

Sounds like that 'substandard crap' Outlook Express, that Micro$oft give
away

--
Paul S

B.Al.Zeebub

On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 14:34:13 -0600, Be.Al.Zeebub read and pondered:
<snip>
> I am trying to set up a system with Windows XP and Linux both on the same 40
> GB HD.

<snip>
*What* Linux?
1). Install Windows. Download updates.
2). Read the instructions for installing your Linux distro.
3). Install Linux XXXX. Download updates.
--
B.Al.Zeebub
Registered Linux User #339345

tfog

"John Seeliger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:btcho6$5q9qs$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de:

> This relates to news:bta66j$4vpur$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de. I
> think I may have gone beyond the scope of that newsgroup, so I am
> posting in these. I am trying to set up a system with Windows XP and
> Linux both on the same 40 GB HD. I was told to create an NTFS
> partition with XP and install it there and create an extended
> partition on the rest and set up other partitions for XP's swap file,
> 2 about the size of a CD for burning CD's, one with a shared space for
> both Linux and Windows and a few others.
>
> I initially set up a 6144 MB partition and put Windows on it. Then I
> tried using fdisk and created an extended partition and then created a
> logical partition for XP's swap file and was going to go on and create
> the rest, but I don't know how to use fdisk and didn't know how to
> determine the file format using it. So I delete the swap partition
> and later when I restarted the Linux installation CD and chose manual
> format, it gave me an error about not being able to read the format of
> the extended partition.
>
> Subsequently, I put the XP install CD in and created a raw partition
> using the rest of the space and wanted to format it using fat32 since
> some of the logical partitions would be for Linux, but it would only
> let me do NTFS. I should have just turned the computer off, but I
> went ahead and reformatted it. And then, even though I didn't want to
> it started to install XP again or at least it did something so that
> even though I didn't reenter the product key, etc. when I restarted
> the computer, it saw two copies of XP or at least the boot record and
> it was trying to boot from one of them, and couldn't because I had
> stopped it from installing Windows the second time.
>
> I then was able to select the other copy, if I was fast enough during
> the boot-up sequence, and it worked fine, but since I didn't like
> always having to catch it, I just went ahead and reinstalled it, so
> now it has two copies, the default one works, the other doesn't.
>
> When I get into XP, it sees ~6 GB C: drive only, which for now is good
> (I thought it would be seeing a 34 GB drive).
>
> When I try fdisk again, I get the type 0 error again. Where do I go
> from here?
>
> --
> John Seeliger Limited but increasing content
> (E-Mail Removed) <http://www.freewebz.com/hudathunkett/>
> (E-Mail Removed)

1. Using fdisk, create a single partition of ~20G and make it primary.
2. Install Win XP
3. Select a Linux distribution (Fedora, Mandrake, BLAG, etc) and install.
4. Linux will ask about partitioning. Choose "keep existing partition
and use available free space" and install per the on screen instructions.
5. Linux typically installs boot (~100M), root (the biggie!) and swap
partitions. The swap partition is usually 2X the amount of RAM.
6. Linux installs a bootloader and usually places it in the master boot
record (MBR). In the process Linux asks which OS you want include in the
bootloader and which you want to be the default. Be sure to include
WinXP.
7. When you restart your computer you can now take your pick of WinXP or
Linux.
8. To uninstall Linux, merely delete the partitions and reset the MBR by
using a Windows boot disk and the fdisk /mbr command at the A:\ prompt.
GoodLuck!