Velocity Reviews > General Computer Discussion > Case Modding > Sun X-Terminal Mod

View Poll Results: Can this win a magazine Mod of the Month award?
You bet it can! 7 77.78%
Maybe, but you'll need to stop changing the lights around... 1 11.11%
Only after my computer wins it first! 1 11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Sun X-Terminal Mod

bigal bigal is offline
Senior Member
bigal's Avatar
Location: Northern Virginia, USA

Hey, I just came home with a nice item - a BFG Geforce 7800GT PCI express videocard! I couldn't pass this deal up. Listen to this:

(1) The card was on sale for $379 with instant rebate.
(2) They have a short-term deal with a $50 rebate check from BFG
(3) I had a 10% coupon for today only
(4) I had $7 in Best Buy bucks, left over from a McDonalds promotion in Oct
(5) I had a $20 Reward Zone rebate check

All these items came together early this week. I even had today off from work to get a special test done at the doctors, followed by a 2-hour massage (yes, I know how to live). So, before I get the $50 rebate check, the price, including tax, was $338. After the rebate comes, the price goes down to $288. You can't beat that on-line right now, even at Newegg. They had a deal on-line where you include Call of Duty 2 and the price is $349, but I already have that game. Now you see why I bought the card today, even though it's destined to go into the Osborne Executive machine over the holidays.

So, where did I put the card? I put it in the only PCI-express motherboard I have - the Sun X-Terminal. I had to take a bottom bracket off, and remove the cover to accommodate the card, but it's installed and working well. I now have a gaming machine until I give up the card to the Osborne. I took a few pictures for your viewing pleasure...

The Modfather The Modfather is offline
Senior Member
The Modfather's Avatar

Sweeet! Congrats Al, that's gonna kick ass!

unholy unholy is offline
Senior Member
Location: Australia

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet, can i have ur old card

just joking u were using onboard .

Man 288 USD is a great deal, ur lucky

all u have to do know is mod the box

bigal bigal is offline
Senior Member
bigal's Avatar
Location: Northern Virginia, USA

.....remember, it's only money. I bought two more items today just before leaving work. I'm spending it faster than I can make it! See the Osborne postings for an update. Last night I had a good time gaming with the Sun X-Terminal....

Silverstrand Silverstrand is offline
Senior Member
Silverstrand's Avatar
Location: Wisconsin

I'm jealous...

bigal bigal is offline
Senior Member
bigal's Avatar
Location: Northern Virginia, USA

....respect me in the morning? ha hahdfhhdf hshhdfsd ha.

By the way, I miss those little emotion icons.....

unholy unholy is offline
Senior Member
Location: Australia

i already jealous, not ova that card though. i like ur printer mods, and ur HDD/CDD drive enclosures

bigal bigal is offline
Senior Member
bigal's Avatar
Location: Northern Virginia, USA

...I won't be keeping that card in this system for more an a month or so. It makes too much noise by itself, and this system looks better with the cover on. I hope that before the year is out, I have that Osborne Executive mod nearly complete. It will probably sit where my "printer-to-computer" machine is right now. That machine could use a bit more cooling work, as it's been locking up now and then during heated gaming battles. I think the hard drive might be getting too hot, as it's buried in the bottom paper tray without any forced airflow.

The Modfather The Modfather is offline
Senior Member
The Modfather's Avatar

Well darn, if you're not gonna be using that 7800GTOC, I know a perfect machine you can put it in.

unholy unholy is offline
Senior Member
Location: Australia

well, my machine would work betta with it

i just noticed modfather is at 995 post, nilly 1k welcome to the 1k post Club man