Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > PartitionMagic-PQ Boot

PartitionMagic-PQ Boot

Trax

On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 19:46:33 -0500, "Morse" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

|>On a dual boot machine (linux &windows9 I went to Partion Magic's (version
|>5) PQ Boot application where you can set the numeral # 1 for windows boot or
|>2 for linux boot (or maybe it was the other way ?).
|>
|>I set the boot for windows.
|>
|>On restarting, the screen says:
|>" Starting Windows 98.......
|>Type the name of the Command Interpreter,"
|>and the A: prompt is flashing
|>
|>So I type C:WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM
|>
|>but it doesn't work!

add in your autoexec.bat:
set COMSPEC=C:WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM
see if that works
--
,,
( "> w "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life

Morse

On a dual boot machine (linux &windows9 I went to Partion Magic's (version
5) PQ Boot application where you can set the numeral # 1 for windows boot or
2 for linux boot (or maybe it was the other way ?).

I set the boot for windows.

On restarting, the screen says:
" Starting Windows 98.......
Type the name of the Command Interpreter,"
and the A: prompt is flashing

So I type C:WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM

but it doesn't work!

Is this the correct command interpreter - or can you tell me what to enter
here ?

The only other thing I can think of is that the C: drive is in fact named
something else - it's an IBM machine and I think it was called something
with IBM in it but I cant get back in there to confirm that.

Morse

it's an older IBMPC 300PL /GL (sometimes called)

anyidea what they "personalize" the c: drive name to be ?

--
Chief Inspector Morse & Sgt. Lewis
"Morse" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Lt2Kb.4186$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> On a dual boot machine (linux &windows9 I went to Partion Magic's

(version
> 5) PQ Boot application where you can set the numeral # 1 for windows boot

or
> 2 for linux boot (or maybe it was the other way ?).
>
> I set the boot for windows.
>
> On restarting, the screen says:
> " Starting Windows 98.......
> Type the name of the Command Interpreter,"
> and the A: prompt is flashing
>
> So I type C:WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM
>
> but it doesn't work!
>
> Is this the correct command interpreter - or can you tell me what to enter
> here ?
>
> The only other thing I can think of is that the C: drive is in fact named
> something else - it's an IBM machine and I think it was called something
> with IBM in it but I cant get back in there to confirm that.

Dan Glybitz

"Morse" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Lt2Kb.4186$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> On a dual boot machine (linux &windows9 I went to Partion Magic's

(version
> 5) PQ Boot application where you can set the numeral # 1 for windows boot

or
> 2 for linux boot (or maybe it was the other way ?).
>
> I set the boot for windows.
>
> On restarting, the screen says:
> " Starting Windows 98.......
> Type the name of the Command Interpreter,"
> and the A: prompt is flashing
>
> So I type C:WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM
>
> but it doesn't work!
>
> Is this the correct command interpreter - or can you tell me what to enter
> here ?
>
> The only other thing I can think of is that the C: drive is in fact named
> something else - it's an IBM machine and I think it was called something
> with IBM in it but I cant get back in there to confirm that.

I can't believe inspector Morse hasn't solved this one yet!! (Mind you, he
is dead so that doesn't help!) Try changing directory. You can't type in a
command to the c: drive when "the A: prompt is flashing". Something like cd
c: gets you to a c: prompt. (Could be cd c:/, I can't be arsed to look it
up!)

DG.

--
"When the going gets tough, leggit!"

Morse

I of course tried to, but I cant chage directory as the directory name isn't
C: or D: etc - IBM in their wisdom gave it some other cute name I don't know

--
Chief Inspector Morse & Sgt. Lewis
news:vdbKb.17382$(E-Mail Removed)...