Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Losing Ram

Losing Ram

Lee Davison

Win Me, 512ddr ram, AMD 200xp, ie6, oe 6.

It seems my computer is not allocating its Ram correctly. After I have open
and subsequently closed several screens or programs, I get an error message
saying there is not enough memory to run this program. I have Freeram
running which indicates the current ram usage and true enough it drops with
every open programme and does not come back up. Even using Freeram to free
the ram does not give me much extra if any. Usually when it drops to below
80 ish i lose the bottom grey windows bar and have to reboot.
I remember i was once advised to change the wording of a text file in the
windows folder which somehow related to ram and i wonder if this was the
problem although its been fine for the last year.
Any fixes?

Regards
Lee Davison

Brian H

Lee Davison said:

> Win Me, 512ddr ram, AMD 200xp, ie6, oe 6.
>
> It seems my computer is not allocating its Ram correctly. After I have open
> and subsequently closed several screens or programs, I get an error message
> saying there is not enough memory to run this program. I have Freeram
> running which indicates the current ram usage and true enough it drops with
> every open programme and does not come back up. Even using Freeram to free
> the ram does not give me much extra if any. Usually when it drops to below
> 80 ish i lose the bottom grey windows bar and have to reboot.
> I remember i was once advised to change the wording of a text file in the
> windows folder which somehow related to ram and i wonder if this was the
> problem although its been fine for the last year.
> Any fixes?
>
> Regards
> Lee Davison

Your OS is total crap.

ICee

Lee Davison wrote:
> Win Me, 512ddr ram, AMD 200xp, ie6, oe 6.
>
> It seems my computer is not allocating its Ram correctly. After I
> have open and subsequently closed several screens or programs, I get
> an error message saying there is not enough memory to run this
> program. I have Freeram running which indicates the current ram usage
> and true enough it drops with every open programme and does not come
> back up. Even using Freeram to free the ram does not give me much
> extra if any. Usually when it drops to below 80 ish i lose the bottom
> grey windows bar and have to reboot.
> I remember i was once advised to change the wording of a text file in
> the windows folder which somehow related to ram and i wonder if this
> was the problem although its been fine for the last year.
> Any fixes?
>
> Regards
> Lee Davison

Install and run Cacheman. Run the Wizard and it will set up your memory
and cache, etc. http://www.outertech.com/

Senti

ICee did mumble 2l0Kb.1458$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Lee Davison wrote:
>> Win Me, 512ddr ram, AMD 200xp, ie6, oe 6.
>>
>> It seems my computer is not allocating its Ram correctly. After I
>> have open and subsequently closed several screens or programs, I get
>> an error message saying there is not enough memory to run this
>> program. I have Freeram running which indicates the current ram usage
>> and true enough it drops with every open programme and does not come
>> back up. Even using Freeram to free the ram does not give me much
>> extra if any. Usually when it drops to below 80 ish i lose the bottom
>> grey windows bar and have to reboot.
>> I remember i was once advised to change the wording of a text file in
>> the windows folder which somehow related to ram and i wonder if this
>> was the problem although its been fine for the last year.
>> Any fixes?
>>
>> Regards
>> Lee Davison

> Install and run Cacheman. Run the Wizard and it will set up your
> memory and cache, etc. http://www.outertech.com/

I'd also like to add that once the OP is finished setting it up through the
wizard, to click on Options on the right side and uncheck "Load Cacheman on
Windows startup"

All settings are saved to the registry and running Cacheman in the
background will just needlessly use resources.

Oh yeah.. and try to avoid using memory-resident programs like FreeRAM.
--
~SF~
There's a difference between a philosophy and a bumper sticker.

ICee

Senti wrote:
> ICee did mumble 2l0Kb.1458$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> Lee Davison wrote:
>>> Win Me, 512ddr ram, AMD 200xp, ie6, oe 6.
>>>
>>> It seems my computer is not allocating its Ram correctly. After I
>>> have open and subsequently closed several screens or programs, I get
>>> an error message saying there is not enough memory to run this
>>> program. I have Freeram running which indicates the current ram
>>> usage and true enough it drops with every open programme and does
>>> not come back up. Even using Freeram to free the ram does not give
>>> me much extra if any. Usually when it drops to below 80 ish i lose
>>> the bottom grey windows bar and have to reboot.
>>> I remember i was once advised to change the wording of a text file
>>> in the windows folder which somehow related to ram and i wonder if
>>> this was the problem although its been fine for the last year.
>>> Any fixes?
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Lee Davison

>> Install and run Cacheman. Run the Wizard and it will set up your
>> memory and cache, etc. http://www.outertech.com/

> I'd also like to add that once the OP is finished setting it up
> through the wizard, to click on Options on the right side and uncheck
> "Load Cacheman on Windows startup"

Thanks for catching that, Senti. I do that myself and forgot to mention
it to the OP.

> All settings are saved to the registry and running Cacheman in the
> background will just needlessly use resources.
>
> Oh yeah.. and try to avoid using memory-resident programs like
> FreeRAM.

ICee

Senti wrote:
> ICee did mumble 2l0Kb.1458$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> Lee Davison wrote:
>>> Win Me, 512ddr ram, AMD 200xp, ie6, oe 6.
>>>
>>> It seems my computer is not allocating its Ram correctly. After I
>>> have open and subsequently closed several screens or programs, I get
>>> an error message saying there is not enough memory to run this
>>> program. I have Freeram running which indicates the current ram
>>> usage and true enough it drops with every open programme and does
>>> not come back up. Even using Freeram to free the ram does not give
>>> me much extra if any. Usually when it drops to below 80 ish i lose
>>> the bottom grey windows bar and have to reboot.
>>> I remember i was once advised to change the wording of a text file
>>> in the windows folder which somehow related to ram and i wonder if
>>> this was the problem although its been fine for the last year.
>>> Any fixes?
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Lee Davison

>> Install and run Cacheman. Run the Wizard and it will set up your
>> memory and cache, etc. http://www.outertech.com/

> I'd also like to add that once the OP is finished setting it up
> through the wizard, to click on Options on the right side and uncheck
> "Load Cacheman on Windows startup"

Thanks for catching that, Senti. I do that myself and forgot to mention
it to the OP.

> All settings are saved to the registry and running Cacheman in the
> background will just needlessly use resources.
>
> Oh yeah.. and try to avoid using memory-resident programs like
> FreeRAM.

Senti

ICee did mumble Ba1Kb.1487$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Senti wrote:
>> ICee did mumble 2l0Kb.1458$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Install and run Cacheman. Run the Wizard and it will set up your
>>> memory and cache, etc. http://www.outertech.com/

>> I'd also like to add that once the OP is finished setting it up
>> through the wizard, to click on Options on the right side and uncheck
>> "Load Cacheman on Windows startup"

> Thanks for catching that, Senti. I do that myself and forgot to
> mention it to the OP.

Anytime
--
~SF~
If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into a committee --

Budweiser

"Lee Davison" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bta326$q8m$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Win Me, 512ddr ram, AMD 200xp, ie6, oe 6.
>
> It seems my computer is not allocating its Ram correctly. After I have

open
> and subsequently closed several screens or programs, I get an error

message
> saying there is not enough memory to run this program. I have Freeram
> running which indicates the current ram usage and true enough it drops

with
> every open programme and does not come back up. Even using Freeram to free
> the ram does not give me much extra if any. Usually when it drops to below
> 80 ish i lose the bottom grey windows bar and have to reboot.
> I remember i was once advised to change the wording of a text file in the
> windows folder which somehow related to ram and i wonder if this was the
> problem although its been fine for the last year.
> Any fixes?
>
> Regards
> Lee Davison

remove all your "free memory" style programs---yes windows is a memory hog
but only when you let it.

clean up your start up progs to the minimum including the task bar--a short
cut on the desktop is more efficient--all you really need running at boot is
(obviously) windows os and your av/firewall if you feel so inclined

to further improve performance(link nicked from group somewhere)

Basic computer maintenance

There again you could always rummage through here:-
http://www.majorgeeks.com/

more utilities than you can shake a stick at (fix the fixes?)

Alexander Rogge

> Win Me, 512ddr ram, AMD 200xp, ie6, oe 6.
> It seems my computer is not allocating its Ram correctly. After I have open
> and subsequently closed several screens or programs, I get an error message
> saying there is not enough memory to run this program. I have Freeram
> running which indicates the current ram usage and true enough it drops with
> every open programme and does not come back up. Even using Freeram to free
> the ram does not give me much extra if any. Usually when it drops to below
> 80 ish i lose the bottom grey windows bar and have to reboot.
> Any fixes?

http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/9.1/features/
http://www.suse.com/us/private/products/suse_linux/

Lee Davison

I got the following if it is any help.
Regards
Lee

FreeRAM XP Pro Comprehensive Memory Report
Generated on: 20:26:17 05/01/2004

System Memory Basic Information:
Current Amount of RAM Free: 267 MB (52%)
Amount of Installed RAM: 512 MB
Current Free Virtual Memory: 220 MB (100%)
Current Allocated Virtual Memory: 220 MB
Current Free Total Memory: 487 MB (66%)
Current Total Memory: 732 MB
Available Page: 1381 MB
Total Page: 1536 MB
Available Virtual Space: 2021 MB
Total Virtual Space: 2044 MB

Advanced System Memory Information:
System Committed Memory: 329 MB
System Locked Memory: 129 MB
Number of Locked, Non-cached Pages: 7315
Number of Pages Mapped from Disk Cache: 1753
Other Allocated Memory: 174 MB

Virtual Memory (Swapfile) Details:
Amount Allocated/Swappable Memory: 155 MB
Virtual Memory Corrupted Bytes: 0 (0% of total)
Virtual Memory Maximum Size: 1536 MB

Windows Kernel Information:
Existing Threads and Processes: 183
Virtual Machines Present: 1

Disk Cache Details:
Current Disk Cache Size: 103256 KB (20% of max)
Maximum Disk Cache Size: 515332 KB
Minimum Disk Cache Size: 4096 KB
Middle Disk Cache Size: 131904 KB
Current Number of Active Disk Buffers: 18992
Current Number of Pages: 25814 (20% of max)
Maximum Disk Cache Pages: 128833
Minimum Disk Cache Pages: 1024