Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Browser cannot find any server anymore after 5 minutes of normal activity (" The page cannot be displayed ")

Browser cannot find any server anymore after 5 minutes of normal activity (" The page cannot be displayed ")

reply@newsgroup.please

After some 5 minutes of normal activity my browser stops opening pages and
returns with the error "page cannot be displayed". Other errors are "cannot
find server" and "connection timed out".

The PC is a client in a NAT-network (Winroute) and has functioned perfectly for
more than a year. AFAIK I did not change any network or browser settings.

Can anybody shed some light onto his sudden strange behaviour?

BTW: other network activity is still functioning, Agent (usenet reader) and
mail is functioning ok.

Can the cause be something in DNS settings in Winroute?
(which I did not change)

John Holmes

came up with this:

> After some 5 minutes of normal activity my browser stops opening pages
> and returns with the error "page cannot be displayed". Other errors
> are "cannot find server" and "connection timed out".
>
> The PC is a client in a NAT-network (Winroute) and has functioned
> perfectly for more than a year. AFAIK I did not change any network or
> browser settings.
>
> Can anybody shed some light onto his sudden strange behaviour?
>
> BTW: other network activity is still functioning, Agent (usenet
> reader) and mail is functioning ok.
>

> Can the cause be something in DNS settings in Winroute?
> (which I did not change)

Clear the internet cache on the machine might help.

--
Somebody is watching you.

"It ain't much, if it ain't Dutch..."

Blinky the Shark

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 20:18:11 +0100, repl wrote:

> After some 5 minutes of normal activity my browser stops opening pages and

Crystal ball at cleaners. Can't tell what browser in use.

--
Blinky

reply@newsgroup.please

On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 20:56:25 +0100, John Holmes <johnholmes@****off.now> wrote:

>> Can the cause be something in DNS settings in Winroute?
>> (which I did not change)

>Clear the internet cache on the machine might help.

Already did that, on both, and to the bone (removed last files under dos).

reply@newsgroup.please

On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 20:56:25 +0100, John Holmes <johnholmes@****off.now> wrote:

>> Can the cause be something in DNS settings in Winroute?
>> (which I did not change)

>Clear the internet cache on the machine might help.

Also tried a second browser (Opera): same problem.

" Connecting to remote host ... " (some than 1 minute)

" Looking up host name ... " (some 5 secs)

" Could not connect to remote server !! "

Time-out behaviour ?

reply@newsgroup.please

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 12:07:46 -0800, "Blinky the Shark" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>> After some 5 minutes of normal activity my browser stops opening pages and

>Crystal ball at cleaners. Can't tell what browser in use.

IE v6.0.2800, completely updated.

Just found out I can't reach the server anymore with pcAnywhere.

Maybe this is also a result of what seems to happen on the network after 5
minutes (http not possible anymore, mail and usenet still functioning).

Unk

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 20:18:11 +0100, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)se wrote:
>After some 5 minutes of normal activity my browser stops opening pages and
>returns with the error "page cannot be displayed". Other errors are "cannot
>find server" and "connection timed out".
>
>The PC is a client in a NAT-network (Winroute) and has functioned perfectly for
>more than a year. AFAIK I did not change any network or browser settings.
>
>Can anybody shed some light onto his sudden strange behaviour?
>
>BTW: other network activity is still functioning, Agent (usenet reader) and
>mail is functioning ok.
>

>Can the cause be something in DNS settings in Winroute?
>(which I did not change)

Have you tried powering everything off, and then rebooting the computer?

How about a DHCP client Release and Renew?
Checked the settings in http://192.168.0.1 ?

Try a "Release All" and "Renew All" using:
Windows98: Run "Winipcfg.exe".
Windows NT, 2000, XP: Open a command prompt, type: ipconfig

Microsoft's IPConfig Utility for Windows 2k, NT, XP "Wntipcfg.exe"
It's exactly like the "Winipcfg.exe" in Windows98
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000...wntipcfg-o.asp