Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > screen resolution stuck at 640x480

screen resolution stuck at 640x480

Trax

On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 13:50:29 -0500, "gerry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>If I were in charge of website support for HP/Compaq, there would be a lot
|>of people looking for work--it is easily the worst site in the world to
|>navigate with endless dead ends and runarounds...

I had a problem with a HP CD one time and wanted to send an email to them.

No where on the site could I find an address. Every link of interest took me to
a phone number to call at $$$$ a min.

I finally found the address but it wasn't without alot of time and effort.

--
,,
( "> w "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life

American Pi

Running WinXP Pro on HP Pavillion 522n system and HP Pavillion MX70
monitor, screen in Display Properties/Settings (after right-clicking on
desktop) only permits selection of 640x480. The slide indicator on the
right side of the tab page will not move, and under "Color Quality" pull-
down menu there is only one choice (640x480).

However, if I select Display Properties/Settings/Advanced/Adapter/List
All Modes, I am offered six choices ranging from 640x480 (16 colors) to
1024x728 (256 colors).

Any recommendations on how to fix the slide indicator and pull-down menu
on the main Settings tab page would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

American Pi

One thing I should have mentioned is that I recently completed a
succesful reinstall of WinXP Pro, due to unrelated problems. I had hoped
that the screen resolution problem would be fixed by the reinstall, but
it wasn't. There were no other supplied CD than WinXP itself.

"Gareth Slee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:bt9ldn$4k3ac$1@ID-
162923.news.uni-berlin.de suggested:

> You need to reinstall your video drivers.
> They should be on one of the supplied CD's
>
> --
> Gareth Slee
>
> Just a counter
> http://www.sleefamily.com/counter.htm

American Pi

"gerry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:bt9lh1$2f4m$(E-Mail Removed):

> This is generally an issue if the driver was switched or corrupted.
>
> Reinstall the (latest) video driver.

Any thoughts on where I could download the driver? How do I know what
driver I would need?

Thanks.

Gareth Slee

"American Pi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns9466870C3ED1Bemailemailnot@24.168.128.74.. .

> Any recommendations on how to fix the slide indicator and pull-down menu
> on the main Settings tab page would be much appreciated.

You need to reinstall your video drivers.
They should be on one of the supplied CD's

--
Gareth Slee

Just a counter
http://www.sleefamily.com/counter.htm

gerry

This is generally an issue if the driver was switched or corrupted.

Reinstall the (latest) video driver.

"American Pi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns9466870C3ED1Bemailemailnot@24.168.128.74.. .
> Running WinXP Pro on HP Pavillion 522n system and HP Pavillion MX70
> monitor, screen in Display Properties/Settings (after right-clicking on
> desktop) only permits selection of 640x480. The slide indicator on the
> right side of the tab page will not move, and under "Color Quality" pull-
> down menu there is only one choice (640x480).
>
> However, if I select Display Properties/Settings/Advanced/Adapter/List
> All Modes, I am offered six choices ranging from 640x480 (16 colors) to
> 1024x728 (256 colors).
>
> Any recommendations on how to fix the slide indicator and pull-down menu
> on the main Settings tab page would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks.

Harrison

Download the XP video drivers from hp.com.

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 18:10:10 GMT, American Pi <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Running WinXP Pro on HP Pavillion 522n system and HP Pavillion MX70
>monitor, screen in Display Properties/Settings (after right-clicking on
>desktop) only permits selection of 640x480. The slide indicator on the
>right side of the tab page will not move, and under "Color Quality" pull-
>down menu there is only one choice (640x480).
>
>However, if I select Display Properties/Settings/Advanced/Adapter/List
>All Modes, I am offered six choices ranging from 640x480 (16 colors) to
>1024x728 (256 colors).
>
>Any recommendations on how to fix the slide indicator and pull-down menu
>on the main Settings tab page would be much appreciated.
>
>Thanks.

Michael J. Apollyon

> > This is generally an issue if the driver was switched
> > or corrupted.
> >
> > Reinstall the (latest) video driver.

> Any thoughts on where I could download the driver?
> How do I know what driver I would need?
>
> Thanks.

www.HP.com would be a good start... http://tinyurl.com/y6j0

Support Joe

> > Just a counter
> > http://www.sleefamily.com/counter.htm
> >

> > The counter doesn't even count (000029)

gerry

I took the liberty of going to the HP site and as usual they make it
extrememly difficult to find anything on that thing--most efforts yield a
"there are no updates in your language result" but seeing as how Intel has
updated it's own drivers as of early december for this chipset, it seemed
unlikely. With additional clicking, I came up with the following--All mid
December releases.

You have an ASUS P4G-LA motherboard with integrated intel grpahics in that
thing.

http://tinyurl.com/y6j0

I would download everything and burn it to a CD.

Also, before you start....Right click on MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES, go
to the HARDWARE tab, click the DEVICE MANAGER button, and then right click
and uninstall the DISPLAY ADAPTER you find here (you may also find some
other devices with yellow exclamation marks that should be deleted.

Then run the video adapter driver setup routine.

news:Xns94668818FFFD8emailemailnot@24.168.128.74.. .