Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Win XP Outlook Express question about file attachment Open warnings

Win XP Outlook Express question about file attachment Open warnings

Jerry Rivers

I am running Win XP Pro and use Outlook Express as my mail
client and also as a news reader.

Frequently, E-mail comes to me with a file attachment,
usually a JPG image file. And, I often read news group posts
with JPG attachments.

When I click on an E-mail or news group attachment icon, then
click on the JPG file name, Outlook Express pops up a warning
dialog box asking me if I want to Open or Save the JPG file.
Until this morning, if I chose Open, Paint Shop Pro 8, which
is associated to JPG files, would start up and automatically
open the file.

But suddenlly this morning, I am getting a *second* warning
dialog box telling me that the file I want to Open may
contain malicious data. I am given a choice of Open or
Cancel. If I choose Open, Paint Shop Pro opens the JPG as
before.

Why all of a sudden did this second warning dialog box start
to pop up? I have made *no* changes to my Internet Explorer
or Outlook Express security or privacy setting since
installing Win XP last week and setting up my mail and news
accounts.

I *want* the first warning dialog box to appear so I have a
choice of Open or Save. But I do *not* want to be bothered
confirming that I *really* want to Open the file.

How can I make the second warning go away? What setting(s) in
Windows or Explorer or wherever need to be changed.

Thanks for your help.

-- Jerry Rivers

Harrison

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 11:34:13 -0600, Jerry Rivers
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am running Win XP Pro and use Outlook Express as my mail
>client and also as a news reader.
>
>Frequently, E-mail comes to me with a file attachment,
>usually a JPG image file. And, I often read news group posts
>with JPG attachments.
>
>When I click on an E-mail or news group attachment icon, then
>click on the JPG file name, Outlook Express pops up a warning
>dialog box asking me if I want to Open or Save the JPG file.
>Until this morning, if I chose Open, Paint Shop Pro 8, which
>is associated to JPG files, would start up and automatically
>open the file.
>
>But suddenlly this morning, I am getting a *second* warning
>dialog box telling me that the file I want to Open may
>contain malicious data. I am given a choice of Open or
>Cancel. If I choose Open, Paint Shop Pro opens the JPG as
>before.

>Why all of a sudden did this second warning dialog box start
>to pop up? I have made *no* changes to my Internet Explorer
>or Outlook Express security or privacy setting since
>installing Win XP last week and setting up my mail and news
>accounts.
>I *want* the first warning dialog box to appear so I have a
>choice of Open or Save. But I do *not* want to be bothered
>confirming that I *really* want to Open the file.
>
>How can I make the second warning go away? What setting(s) in
>Windows or Explorer or wherever need to be changed.

Since this has just begun in the last day or so, use the System
Restore utility to roll back your system to a previous date and time.
Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore.

Having JPEGs open with PSP is fine, but it's a bit of weighty program
to simply view the files. XP comes with a nice viewer which includes a
great printing wizard. It's light and fast.
It's called the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer.
If you wish to re-assosicate JPEGs with it, use Tools>Folder Options>
File Types and look for the JPG - JPEG settings.

>Thanks for your help.
>
> -- Jerry Rivers

Jerry Rivers

Thanks for the advice about System Restore, but I turned that
off right after I installed XP on the advice of Windows
experts that said it was unreliable and unnecessary overhead.

As to PSP 8 for file attachments, I use it for more than just
a quick view. I'm aware of the FAX and Picture Viewer but
prefer PSP 8.

Back to the original problem, how can I get rid of the second
Open warning dialog box? I can't find anything anywhere that
even mentions it.

Thanks again.

-- Jerry Rivers

Harrison <Harrison> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 11:34:13 -0600, Jerry Rivers
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I am running Win XP Pro and use Outlook Express as my mail
>>client and also as a news reader.
>>
>>Frequently, E-mail comes to me with a file attachment,
>>usually a JPG image file. And, I often read news group
>>posts with JPG attachments.
>>
>>When I click on an E-mail or news group attachment icon,
>>then click on the JPG file name, Outlook Express pops up a
>>warning dialog box asking me if I want to Open or Save the
>>JPG file. Until this morning, if I chose Open, Paint Shop
>>Pro 8, which is associated to JPG files, would start up and
>>automatically open the file.
>>
>>But suddenlly this morning, I am getting a *second* warning
>>dialog box telling me that the file I want to Open may
>>contain malicious data. I am given a choice of Open or
>>Cancel. If I choose Open, Paint Shop Pro opens the JPG as
>>before.

>>Why all of a sudden did this second warning dialog box
>>start to pop up? I have made *no* changes to my Internet
>>Explorer or Outlook Express security or privacy setting
>>since installing Win XP last week and setting up my mail
>>and news accounts.
>>I *want* the first warning dialog box to appear so I have a
>>choice of Open or Save. But I do *not* want to be bothered
>>confirming that I *really* want to Open the file.
>>
>>How can I make the second warning go away? What setting(s)
>>in Windows or Explorer or wherever need to be changed.

> Since this has just begun in the last day or so, use the
> System Restore utility to roll back your system to a
> previous date and time. Start>Programs>Accessories>System
> Tools>System Restore.
>
> Having JPEGs open with PSP is fine, but it's a bit of
> weighty program to simply view the files. XP comes with a
> nice viewer which includes a great printing wizard. It's
> light and fast. It's called the Windows Picture and Fax
> Viewer. If you wish to re-assosicate JPEGs with it, use
> Tools>Folder Options> File Types and look for the JPG -
> JPEG settings.
>

>>Thanks for your help.
>>
>> -- Jerry Rivers

Harrison

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 13:56:47 -0600, Jerry Rivers
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Thanks for the advice about System Restore, but I turned that
>off right after I installed XP on the advice of Windows
>experts that said it was unreliable and unnecessary overhead

I wouldn't call them experts. System Restore is a very useful tool and
the overhead is minimal on today's larger drives.

>As to PSP 8 for file attachments, I use it for more than just
>a quick view. I'm aware of the FAX and Picture Viewer but
>prefer PSP 8.
>
>Back to the original problem, how can I get rid of the second
>Open warning dialog box? I can't find anything anywhere that
>even mentions it.

System Restore was my best shot, but it looks like the "experts" have
made that a non-option.
You may want to reconsider that one and turn System restore back on.

>Thanks again.
>
> -- Jerry Rivers
>

>Harrison <Harrison> wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed) :
>
>> On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 11:34:13 -0600, Jerry Rivers
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>I am running Win XP Pro and use Outlook Express as my mail
>>>client and also as a news reader.
>>>
>>>Frequently, E-mail comes to me with a file attachment,
>>>usually a JPG image file. And, I often read news group
>>>posts with JPG attachments.
>>>
>>>When I click on an E-mail or news group attachment icon,
>>>then click on the JPG file name, Outlook Express pops up a
>>>warning dialog box asking me if I want to Open or Save the
>>>JPG file. Until this morning, if I chose Open, Paint Shop
>>>Pro 8, which is associated to JPG files, would start up and
>>>automatically open the file.
>>>
>>>But suddenlly this morning, I am getting a *second* warning
>>>dialog box telling me that the file I want to Open may
>>>contain malicious data. I am given a choice of Open or
>>>Cancel. If I choose Open, Paint Shop Pro opens the JPG as
>>>before.

>>>Why all of a sudden did this second warning dialog box
>>>start to pop up? I have made *no* changes to my Internet
>>>Explorer or Outlook Express security or privacy setting
>>>since installing Win XP last week and setting up my mail
>>>and news accounts.
>>>I *want* the first warning dialog box to appear so I have a
>>>choice of Open or Save. But I do *not* want to be bothered
>>>confirming that I *really* want to Open the file.
>>>
>>>How can I make the second warning go away? What setting(s)
>>>in Windows or Explorer or wherever need to be changed.

>> Since this has just begun in the last day or so, use the
>> System Restore utility to roll back your system to a
>> previous date and time. Start>Programs>Accessories>System
>> Tools>System Restore.
>>
>> Having JPEGs open with PSP is fine, but it's a bit of
>> weighty program to simply view the files. XP comes with a
>> nice viewer which includes a great printing wizard. It's
>> light and fast. It's called the Windows Picture and Fax
>> Viewer. If you wish to re-assosicate JPEGs with it, use
>> Tools>Folder Options> File Types and look for the JPG -
>> JPEG settings.
>>

>>>Thanks for your help.
>>>
>>> -- Jerry Rivers

trout

Jerry Rivers wrote:

> I am running Win XP Pro and use Outlook Express as my mail
> client and also as a news reader.
>
> Frequently, E-mail comes to me with a file attachment,
> usually a JPG image file. And, I often read news group posts
> with JPG attachments.
>
> When I click on an E-mail or news group attachment icon, then
> click on the JPG file name, Outlook Express pops up a warning
> dialog box asking me if I want to Open or Save the JPG file.
> Until this morning, if I chose Open, Paint Shop Pro 8, which
> is associated to JPG files, would start up and automatically
> open the file.
>
> But suddenlly this morning, I am getting a *second* warning
> dialog box telling me that the file I want to Open may
> contain malicious data. I am given a choice of Open or
> Cancel. If I choose Open, Paint Shop Pro opens the JPG as
> before.
>
> Why all of a sudden did this second warning dialog box start
> to pop up? I have made *no* changes to my Internet Explorer
> or Outlook Express security or privacy setting since
> installing Win XP last week and setting up my mail and news
> accounts.
>
> I *want* the first warning dialog box to appear so I have a
> choice of Open or Save. But I do *not* want to be bothered
> confirming that I *really* want to Open the file.
>
> How can I make the second warning go away? What setting(s) in
> Windows or Explorer or wherever need to be changed.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> -- Jerry Rivers

You are sure this is an OE warning? (Sounds like what I get from my
firewall's 'download protection'.)
You may want to check the settings of other
security/anti-virus/firewall programs you may have.
--
"Particularly anything that could have 'auto-updated'."

Jerry Rivers

Hi, trout. (can I call you trout?)

I don't have a firewall on my system other than what comes
with XP Pro. And, until this morning, everything worked as I
expected and how I want it to.

If you would please send your E-mail address to
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed), I'll send you a screen shot of what
I'm seeing.

Thanks for your help.

-- Jerry Rivers

"trout" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:btahhv$524f7$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de:

> Jerry Rivers wrote:
>
>> I am running Win XP Pro and use Outlook Express as my mail
>> client and also as a news reader.
>>
>> Frequently, E-mail comes to me with a file attachment,
>> usually a JPG image file. And, I often read news group
>> posts with JPG attachments.
>>
>> When I click on an E-mail or news group attachment icon,
>> then click on the JPG file name, Outlook Express pops up a
>> warning dialog box asking me if I want to Open or Save the
>> JPG file. Until this morning, if I chose Open, Paint Shop
>> Pro 8, which is associated to JPG files, would start up
>> and automatically open the file.
>>
>> But suddenlly this morning, I am getting a *second*
>> warning dialog box telling me that the file I want to Open
>> may contain malicious data. I am given a choice of Open or
>> Cancel. If I choose Open, Paint Shop Pro opens the JPG as
>> before.
>>
>> Why all of a sudden did this second warning dialog box
>> start to pop up? I have made *no* changes to my Internet
>> Explorer or Outlook Express security or privacy setting
>> since installing Win XP last week and setting up my mail
>> and news accounts.
>>
>> I *want* the first warning dialog box to appear so I have
>> a choice of Open or Save. But I do *not* want to be
>> bothered confirming that I *really* want to Open the file.
>>
>> How can I make the second warning go away? What setting(s)
>> in Windows or Explorer or wherever need to be changed.
>>
>> Thanks for your help.
>>
>> -- Jerry Rivers

> You are sure this is an OE warning? (Sounds like what I
> get from my
> firewall's 'download protection'.)
> You may want to check the settings of other
> security/anti-virus/firewall programs you may have.

Jerry Rivers

Hi, Harrison.

re: the "experts" aren't very expert when it comes to
advising me to turn off System Restore.

One of the "experts" is my nephew who has considerable
Windows experience. The other place I saw this was at
http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/supertweaks.htm. I believe I
first saw this link somewhere in this news group for help on
another XP problem. I've seen other places in various news
groups on computer help all advising *not* to use System
Restore. I don't know.

I suppose I could have caused this somehow with some software
I recently installed. I uninstalled everything new since I
started seeing the problem but it didn't help.

I also ran Spy Bot, Ad Aware and Norton Win Doctor. Plus, I
did a manual reinstall of Outlook Express. Nothing helped.
This problem is embedded in my O/S I'm afraid, because even
if I create a new user account and set up mail and news group
access, the new account gets the same double warning message.

If you would send your E-mail address to
(E-Mail Removed), I'll send you a screen shot of what
I'm seeing.

Short of a system roll-back, which isn't an option, do you
have any other suggestions? My system is not dead, I can
still open attachments. I am just extremely annoyed at the
double warning and I'm frustrated that I can't find a
solution.

Thanks for trying to help me.

-- Jerry Rivers

Boomer

Jerry Rivers, <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi, trout. (can I call you trout?)
>
> I don't have a firewall on my system other than what comes
> with XP Pro. And, until this morning, everything worked as I
> expected and how I want it to.
>
> If you would please send your E-mail address to
> (E-Mail Removed), I'll send you a screen shot of what
> I'm seeing.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> -- Jerry Rivers

Did you check your anti-virus and security settings, like trout
suggested?

You might want to post the image (if someone wants to see it) at a
binaries group rather tham asking people to e-mail you.

> "trout" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:btahhv$524f7$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de:
>
>> Jerry Rivers wrote:
>>
>>> I am running Win XP Pro and use Outlook Express as my mail
>>> client and also as a news reader.
>>>
>>> Frequently, E-mail comes to me with a file attachment,
>>> usually a JPG image file. And, I often read news group
>>> posts with JPG attachments.
>>>
>>> When I click on an E-mail or news group attachment icon,
>>> then click on the JPG file name, Outlook Express pops up a
>>> warning dialog box asking me if I want to Open or Save the
>>> JPG file. Until this morning, if I chose Open, Paint Shop
>>> Pro 8, which is associated to JPG files, would start up
>>> and automatically open the file.
>>>
>>> But suddenlly this morning, I am getting a *second*
>>> warning dialog box telling me that the file I want to Open
>>> may contain malicious data. I am given a choice of Open or
>>> Cancel. If I choose Open, Paint Shop Pro opens the JPG as
>>> before.
>>>
>>> Why all of a sudden did this second warning dialog box
>>> start to pop up? I have made *no* changes to my Internet
>>> Explorer or Outlook Express security or privacy setting
>>> since installing Win XP last week and setting up my mail
>>> and news accounts.
>>>
>>> I *want* the first warning dialog box to appear so I have
>>> a choice of Open or Save. But I do *not* want to be
>>> bothered confirming that I *really* want to Open the file.
>>>
>>> How can I make the second warning go away? What setting(s)
>>> in Windows or Explorer or wherever need to be changed.
>>>
>>> Thanks for your help.
>>>
>>> -- Jerry Rivers

>> You are sure this is an OE warning? (Sounds like what I
>> get from my
>> firewall's 'download protection'.)
>> You may want to check the settings of other
>> security/anti-virus/firewall programs you may have.

Jerry Rivers

Boomer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:3ff8fd00$0$5102$(E-Mail Removed) eenews.net:

> Jerry Rivers, <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Hi, trout. (can I call you trout?)
>>
>> I don't have a firewall on my system other than what comes
>> with XP Pro. And, until this morning, everything worked as
>> I expected and how I want it to.
>>
>> If you would please send your E-mail address to
>> (E-Mail Removed), I'll send you a screen shot of
>> what I'm seeing.
>>
>> Thanks for your help.
>>
>> -- Jerry Rivers

> Did you check your anti-virus and security settings, like
> trout suggested?
>
> You might want to post the image (if someone wants to see
> it) at a binaries group rather tham asking people to e-mail
> you.
>

>> "trout" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:btahhv$524f7$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de:

>>> You are sure this is an OE warning? (Sounds like what
>>> I get from my
>>> firewall's 'download protection'.)
>>> You may want to check the settings of other
>>> security/anti-virus/firewall programs you may have.

Yes, you're right about posting to a binaries news group. I did
just that - see my special post about where to look for the
screen shots of what I am seeing.

BTW, I have tried turning off Norton Anti-Virus Auto Protect and
still have the problem. I checked my network connections and I
do *not* have XP's firewall turned on.

See my screen shot - maybe that'll give you a clue as to what is
happening here.

Thanks.

-- Jerry Rivers

Jerry Rivers

I have posted a screen shot of the normal Outlook Express
"ask before opening" dialog box and the new Download warning
dialog box I started seeing this morning.

This screen shot is posted to alt.binaries.pictures under my
name with the subject "*** Win XP Outlook Express attachment
Open Warning Box ***"

I hope one of you who really are Win XP experts will be able
to repair whatever damage has been done to my system.

Thank you all for your attempts so far to help me.

-- Jerry Rivers