Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Pop Up Blockers - which free one is best?

Pop Up Blockers - which free one is best?

Blinky the Shark

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 16:41:44 +0000, Oxy Moron wrote:

> What is the best free pop up blocker?

Opera.

> Is there a significant downside to installing one? The pop ups I see on my
> web searches are generally useless - do many sites use pop ups for important
> info that I might want to see?

Toggling them back on is just a keystroke and a click away.

http://opera.com

--
Blinky

Blinky the Shark

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 12:09:11 +0000, Ionizer wrote:

> "Gale Lynn Veres" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:uxXJb.20552$P%(E-Mail Removed) gy.com...
>> Try www.panicware.com It's free and it works great!

> Thanks, but as I say, my ZA Pro does a nice job of blocking pop-ups. Just
> out of interest though, how does the free "demo" of the product you
> recommend differ from the paid ($29.95) version? Is it time-limited or
> crippled in some way?

It's not time limited; it's just the lite version. Very popular.

Can't tell you the specific differences between the two versions -- never
used the pay version, and no longer use the free version.

--
Blinky

Senti

Benzf1 did mumble bt9ni2$suv$(E-Mail Removed)...

> panicware is annoying, it blocks everything! and doesnt turn off when
> u want it. and google toolbar is SPYWARE!!!! DONT DOWNLOAD IT! almost
> all toolbars are spyware. especially yahoo.

No need to worry about spyware with the Google toolbar as long as you don't
use the "advanced" features...
--
~SF~
We don't seem to be able to check crime, so why not legalize it and

Sultan

Oxy Moron wrote in
news:cnXJb.137295$(E-Mail Removed) .cable.rogers.com:

> What is the best free pop up blocker?
>
> Is there a significant downside to installing one? The pop ups I see
> on my web searches are generally useless - do many sites use pop ups
> for important info that I might want to see?
>
> Thanks

The Google Toolbar does a decent job as well as Popup manager (freeware)
which only shows as a little "widget" in the browser window.
http://www.endpopups.com/
I use both and have been popup free for months.
enjoy!

Sultan

Sultan

Benzf1 wrote in news:bt9ni2$suv$(E-Mail Removed):

> panicware is annoying, it blocks everything! and doesnt turn off when
> u want it. and google toolbar is SPYWARE!!!! DONT DOWNLOAD IT! almost
> all toolbars are spyware. especially yahoo.
>

> "Gale Lynn Veres" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:uxXJb.20552$P%(E-Mail Removed) gy.com...
>> Try www.panicware.com It's free and it works great!
>>

>> "Ionizer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:bt9ga3$4lb33$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
>> > "Oxy Moron" <x @ none.com.invalid> wrote in message
>> > news:cnXJb.137295$(E-Mail Removed) .cable.rogers.com.
>> > ..

> on
>> > my
>> > important
>> >
>> > I've read numerous positive comments about the Google Toolbar in
>> > the alt.comp.freeware group: http://toolbar.google.com/ I have not

> personally
>> > used it, as I have ZA Pro, which features its own ad/popup blocker.
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> > Ian.

Hogwash. Google will only track sites you visit (annonymously) if you
tell it to via the advance options. In no way does it try to do anything
behind your back.

Sultan

Daeron

Boomer wrote:

> Oxy Moron, <x @ none.com.invalid> wrote:

>> What is the best free pop up blocker?

Most of these so called pop up blockers just redirect you to sites owned
by the blockers and report your browsing habits to the marketing
companies. Get a firewall and watch it light up when you are browsing.

>> Is there a significant downside to installing one? The pop ups I
>> see on my web searches are generally useless - do many sites use
>> pop ups for important info that I might want to see?

>> Thanks

> Mozilla. It's a darn good browser, IMO. www.mozilla.org

I agree The latest version of the stand alone browser is a dream:
Check out
http://ftp34.newaol.com/pub/firebird...-0.7-win32.zip

This link is to a zipped version. All you have to do is unzip
it into C:\Program Files\MozillaFirebird and create a shortcut on the
desktop to run it.

What you get is a small fast browser. With no spyware, no popups and the
ability to filter adverts. If you want to uninstall then just delete the
folder.

This version does *not* install, makes no changes to the registry and
copies nothing to the Windows folder. So there is no danger of it
fcuking up your system.

Most of the config stuff is accessed by typing about:config into the
address bar. This gives you access to a huge amount of config settings.

eg setting general.smoothScroll to TRUE switches on smooth scrolling.
Only usefull on fast machines though.

It even blocks popups without having to install third party spyware
blockers. To add to is just edit the userContent.css file.

Joe

> http://www.endpopups.com

Second on popupmanager....its small, it works

Robert McHenry

Googles FREE toolbar will block pop-ups!

news:Xns9469C33EC1B49jsalpha2netscapenet@216.148.2 27.77...

> > http://www.endpopups.com

> Second on popupmanager....its small, it works

John Doe

Hi,

>What is the best free pop up blocker?
>
>Is there a significant downside to installing one? The pop ups I see on my
>web searches are generally useless - do many sites use pop ups for important
>info that I might want to see?

http://www.messaging-software.net/po...r-software.htm
Both Popup Stopper & Exit Killer are very popular and do the job.
John Doe

Simon Browning

"Oxy Moron" <x @ none.com.invalid> wrote in message news:<cnXJb.137295$(E-Mail Removed) t.cable.rogers.com>...
> What is the best free pop up blocker?
>
> Is there a significant downside to installing one? The pop ups I see on my
> web searches are generally useless - do many sites use pop ups for important
> info that I might want to see?
>
> Thanks

Very satisified with the Google Toolbar. Free, effective, over 1000
blocked in the last few months. Turning popups on or off per website
is a single click.

I've recommended it to friends and my mother.

Simon

http://simonfixmycomputer.flyeronthewire.com