Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Supernews or Giganews?

Supernews or Giganews?

Jenn

Hi guys,
Nope, my news server has still not been fixed, apparently it's been like
this for 2 weeks.
Supernews has a 30 day trial, after that it's $5.95 for 3GB monthly limit.
Giganews has 10GB per month for $11.99.
How do you determine how much you are using daily in newsgroups?
Who would you recommend between these two? I've used Giganews in the past,
but with dial-up and they were pretty solid. Thanks!

Jenn

Hywel Jenkins

In article <(E-Mail Removed) m>,
> Hi guys,
> Nope, my news server has still not been fixed, apparently it's been like
> this for 2 weeks.
> Supernews has a 30 day trial, after that it's $5.95 for 3GB monthly limit.
> Giganews has 10GB per month for $11.99.
> How do you determine how much you are using daily in newsgroups?

Look in your Outbox. 3GB is a fair bit unless you're downloading a
reasonable number of binaries.

> Who would you recommend between these two? I've used Giganews in the past,
> but with dial-up and they were pretty solid. Thanks!

I use http://www.teranews.com/ - a few dollars to sign up with no
additional charges. Only 50MB a day, which suits me. Look for their
"free" option.

--
Hywel I do not eat quiche
http://hyweljenkins.co.uk/

gangle

Giganews is THE gold standard of premium news services,
with as close to 100% article completeness as is possible.
They have just expanded to 30 days retention for binaries.
Although Supernews has improved greatly from the erratic
mess they were 2 years ago, they simply cannot keep up
with the exponential growth in binary NGs, and their spam
filtering is so aggressive, it is known to exclude legitimate posts.

"Jenn" wrote
> Hi guys,
> Nope, my news server has still not been fixed, apparently it's been like
> this for 2 weeks.
> Supernews has a 30 day trial, after that it's $5.95 for 3GB monthly limit.
> Giganews has 10GB per month for $11.99.
> How do you determine how much you are using daily in newsgroups?
> Who would you recommend between these two? I've used Giganews in the past,
> but with dial-up and they were pretty solid. Thanks!
>
> Jenn

Harrison

Supernews also offers a 10 GB option for $10.95.
I switched from Giganews to Supernews several months ago and have been
very satisfied. While I was doing the 3 day trial, I compared them
head-to-head and Supernews offered considerably more retention than
Giganews and at a better price.

As far as telling what your needs are. If you don't know how to tell,
then chances are good that your needs are quite low, well below 3 GB
anyway. Besides, you can always upgrade if you need to.

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 11:27:54 GMT, "Jenn"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi guys,
>Nope, my news server has still not been fixed, apparently it's been like
>this for 2 weeks.
>Supernews has a 30 day trial, after that it's $5.95 for 3GB monthly limit.
>Giganews has 10GB per month for $11.99.
>How do you determine how much you are using daily in newsgroups?
>Who would you recommend between these two? I've used Giganews in the past,
>but with dial-up and they were pretty solid. Thanks!
>
>Jenn

Boomer

Jenn, <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi guys,
> Nope, my news server has still not been fixed, apparently it's
> been like this for 2 weeks.
> Supernews has a 30 day trial, after that it's $5.95 for 3GB
> monthly limit. Giganews has 10GB per month for $11.99.
> How do you determine how much you are using daily in newsgroups?
> Who would you recommend between these two? I've used Giganews
> in the past, but with dial-up and they were pretty solid.
> Thanks!
>
> Jenn

Octanews

More info at this group.
alt.binaries.news-server-comparison

Jenn

news:3ff82f57$0$5084$(E-Mail Removed) eenews.net...
> Jenn, <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Hi guys,
> > Nope, my news server has still not been fixed, apparently it's
> > been like this for 2 weeks.
> > Supernews has a 30 day trial, after that it's $5.95 for 3GB
> > monthly limit. Giganews has 10GB per month for $11.99.
> > How do you determine how much you are using daily in newsgroups?
> > Who would you recommend between these two? I've used Giganews
> > in the past, but with dial-up and they were pretty solid.
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Jenn

> Octanews
>
> More info at this group.
> alt.binaries.news-server-comparison

Thanks all. I decided to try a free trial of Giganews for 5 days. Anyone
who has Giganews, which server do you have more success with? News 40 or
60? I'm using 40 right now...

Jenn

gangle

"Jenn" wrote

> "Boomer" wrote in message
> > Jenn, wrote:
> >
> > > Hi guys,
> > > Nope, my news server has still not been fixed, apparently it's
> > > been like this for 2 weeks.
> > > Supernews has a 30 day trial, after that it's $5.95 for 3GB
> > > monthly limit. Giganews has 10GB per month for $11.99.
> > > How do you determine how much you are using daily in newsgroups?
> > > Who would you recommend between these two? I've used Giganews
> > > in the past, but with dial-up and they were pretty solid.
> > > Thanks!
> > >
> > > Jenn

> > Octanews
> >
> > More info at this group.
> > alt.binaries.news-server-comparison
> >

> Thanks all. I decided to try a free trial of Giganews for 5 days. Anyone
> who has Giganews, which server do you have more success with? News 40 or
> 60? I'm using 40 right now...
>
> Jenn

That's totally dependent upon the routing between you and
each of those server arrays. Try both and to see if one is a
little faster. You may not be able to see any difference between
the two. Monitor the internal NG "giganews.general" to follow
any technical issues if and when they happen -- tech support
is very responsive and polite there. By checking into the Control
Panel, you can monitor your ongoing usage. Flat out, the best
deal is a yearly buy of xx GB for 1 year, but if you run out of
xx GB at, say, 10.2 months, you can simply rotate and start
another year at the earlier point. If there are any minor issues
at this point, keep in mind that they just switched into a new
in-house-written software to accomodate more customers,
server maintenance without down time, and the the higher
retention of articles (30 days for binaries). They hope to maintain
that high retention, despite the fact that the size of Usenet
continues to grow exponentially.