Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Server problem

Server problem

Alan Collinge

Freeserve say my incoming Mail (POP3) box should contain pop.freeserve.com -
mine contains 127.0.0.1, whatever that is. Should I type in what Freeserve
say (I do have some connection problems).
Al

°Mike°

What antivirus are you using?

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 14:24:35 -0000, in
<bt6j33$jb6$(E-Mail Removed)>
Alan Collinge scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Spider

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/spider1
"Alan Collinge" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bt6j33$jb6$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Freeserve say my incoming Mail (POP3) box should contain

pop.freeserve.com -
> mine contains 127.0.0.1, whatever that is. Should I type in what Freeserve
> say (I do have some connection problems).
> Al

Alan,
Are you running an Anti-Virus mail scan or a spam mail cleaner program? You
have something setup between you and the pop server that is not working
properly.
--
Spider

Stace

"Alan Collinge" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bt6j33$jb6$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Freeserve say my incoming Mail (POP3) box should contain

pop.freeserve.com -
> mine contains 127.0.0.1, whatever that is. Should I type in what Freeserve
> say (I do have some connection problems).
> Al

Yes. 127.0.0.1. is the loopback address (i.e. your own PC).

Stace.

why?

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 14:24:35 -0000, Alan Collinge wrote:

>Freeserve say my incoming Mail (POP3) box should contain pop.freeserve.com -
>mine contains 127.0.0.1, whatever that is. Should I type in what Freeserve

This is because your antivirus software intercepts your email for
scanning. If you start off with the correct FS info, your AV software
reads that and replaces it by the llocal loopback 127.0.0.1 address.

You can always disable email scanning.

>say (I do have some connection problems).

What sort of connection problem, mail , browsing?

Me

Budweiser

"Alan Collinge" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bt6j33$jb6$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Freeserve say my incoming Mail (POP3) box should contain

pop.freeserve.com -
> mine contains 127.0.0.1, whatever that is. Should I type in what Freeserve
> say (I do have some connection problems).
> Al

dissable your anti virus software
re enter the freeserve stuff
check to see if working
re enable av
had the same problem on another box running norton av

Alan Collinge

Thanks, all. Connection problem is that IE seldom connects and I get Cannot
find Server as explanation. I have Norman av - if I disable and check my
server, can I reinstate? What is a loop address?
Al

°Mike°

After installing NVC, smtp and pop3 server is automatically
changed to 127.0.0.1 in my email client configuration
http://www.norman.com/technical_nvc5_various.shtml#8_8

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 19:15:05 -0000, in
<bt743u$hna$(E-Mail Removed)>
Alan Collinge scrawled:

--

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 19:15:05 -0000, Alan Collinge wrote:

>Thanks, all. Connection problem is that IE seldom connects and I get Cannot
>find Server as explanation. I have Norman av - if I disable and check my
>server, can I reinstate? What is a loop address?

loopback address.
http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/L/loopback_address.html

RFC 3330 - Special-Use IPv4 Addresses
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc3330.html
127.0.0.0/8 - This block is assigned for use as the Internet host
loopback address. A datagram sent by a higher level protocol to an
address anywhere within this block should loop back inside the host.
This is ordinarily implemented using only 127.0.0.1/32 for loopback,
but no addresses within this block should ever appear on any network
anywhere [RFC1700, page 5].

Me

Boomer

"Alan Collinge" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:bt7k7j$q8k$(E-Mail Removed):

> Wow, you guys. My head hurts - I'll go away and think about all
> that. Its not easy for a new boy, but thanks.
> Al

Hi

Could you please include some of the message you are responding to,
in your reply?
(Tools> Options> Send tab, tick the "Include message in Reply" box.)

It makes it difficult to follow a thread when you write a reply and
others have no clue on what the question or discussion was about.

Further info:

Thank You Very Much