Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Icon problem

Icon problem

CoCo

hi

i got some cd-rw's with a lot of programs on and when i put one in it will
take very long time for xp to fetch all icons to the exe files. i mean long
time ~1-2min (partly because the rw is udf/multisession).

xp shows the files first with a generic icon (fast, appr. 10~20s).
any way of disabling or preventing xp to use the inkluded icons of the
exe-files? (and only on cd's)

(it's possibly to change defaulticon reg key for exe to a shellfileicon but
that will be uggly! i look for a nicer solution.)

coco

Boomer

"CoCo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:_6vJb.3017$(E-Mail Removed):

> hi
>
> i got some cd-rw's with a lot of programs on and when i put one in
> it will take very long time for xp to fetch all icons to the exe
> files. i mean long time ~1-2min (partly because the rw is
> udf/multisession).
>
> xp shows the files first with a generic icon (fast, appr. 10~20s).
> any way of disabling or preventing xp to use the inkluded icons of
> the exe-files? (and only on cd's)
>
> (it's possibly to change defaulticon reg key for exe to a
> shellfileicon but that will be uggly! i look for a nicer
> solution.)
>
> coco

Why are you starting a new thread?

CoCo

hi

hmm.. bec no real answer was given in the other thread...
it's not a problem with the iconcache size.

coco

"Boomer" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:3ff68289$0$5086$(E-Mail Removed) eenews.net...
> "CoCo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:_6vJb.3017$(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > hi
> >
> > i got some cd-rw's with a lot of programs on and when i put one in
> > it will take very long time for xp to fetch all icons to the exe
> > files. i mean long time ~1-2min (partly because the rw is
> > udf/multisession).
> >
> > xp shows the files first with a generic icon (fast, appr. 10~20s).
> > any way of disabling or preventing xp to use the inkluded icons of
> > the exe-files? (and only on cd's)
> >
> > (it's possibly to change defaulticon reg key for exe to a
> > shellfileicon but that will be uggly! i look for a nicer
> > solution.)
> >
> > coco

> Why are you starting a new thread?

Boomer

"CoCo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:gJvJb.3021$(E-Mail Removed):

> hi
>
> hmm.. bec no real answer was given in the other thread...

Thats no reason to start a new thread.

> it's not a problem with the iconcache size.
>
> coco

> "Boomer" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
>> "CoCo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:_6vJb.3017$(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>> > hi
>> >
>> > i got some cd-rw's with a lot of programs on and when i put one in
>> > it will take very long time for xp to fetch all icons to the exe
>> > files. i mean long time ~1-2min (partly because the rw is
>> > udf/multisession).
>> >
>> > xp shows the files first with a generic icon (fast, appr. 10~20s).
>> > any way of disabling or preventing xp to use the inkluded icons of
>> > the exe-files? (and only on cd's)
>> >
>> > (it's possibly to change defaulticon reg key for exe to a
>> > shellfileicon but that will be uggly! i look for a nicer
>> > solution.)
>> >
>> > coco

>> Why are you starting a new thread?

°Mike°

Yes it is.

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 10:13:51 +0100, in
<gJvJb.3021$(E-Mail Removed)>
CoCo scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Trax

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 09:33:02 +0100, "CoCo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>hi
|>
|>i got some cd-rw's with a lot of programs on and when i put one in it will
|>take very long time for xp to fetch all icons to the exe files. i mean long
|>time ~1-2min (partly because the rw is udf/multisession).
|>
|>xp shows the files first with a generic icon (fast, appr. 10~20s).
|>any way of disabling or preventing xp to use the inkluded icons of the
|>exe-files? (and only on cd's)

Try a third party approach:
http://www.whereisit-soft.com/

http://www.whereisit-soft.com/history.html:
"The second new plugin type handles automated importing and storing of custom
icons to be used for disks or folders in catalog instead of the default system
icons. These plugins could be used to provide customized icons for drive or
media of specific type, assign special icons to folders found to be holding
certain kind of data, etc. A new plugin of this category has been included in
the DescPlugin module, importing custom disk icons based on disk's autorun
information."

It's a CD cataloger, I use this for my "Shareware" and it works very well.

|>(it's possibly to change defaulticon reg key for exe to a shellfileicon but
|>that will be uggly! i look for a nicer solution.)

Explained in the first post and threads.

--
,,
( "> w "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life

CoCo

hi

thanx for that program. it present a way around my problem. (offline
cd/other media database)

coco

news:(E-Mail Removed)...