Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > WARNING AT&T Worldnet Users SCAM

WARNING AT&T Worldnet Users SCAM

DudleyDumstuff

There is a notice being e-mailed: AT&T Account Suspension
Notice It gives a link that you are supposed to go to ASAP.
When you click on the link, a LOG-IN page identical to
AT&T's appears but it is not in a secure environment! Type
in a ficticious username and password and see what they are
asking for! They have built a very official looking webpage
that even has working links to AT&T pages. They are asking
for checking account information and credit card information
as well as PIN's.
Do I even need to say, "DON'T DO IT!!!!"

Barry OGrady

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 03:47:54 GMT, "DudleyDumstuff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>There is a notice being e-mailed: AT&T Account Suspension
>Notice It gives a link that you are supposed to go to ASAP.
>When you click on the link, a LOG-IN page identical to
>AT&T's appears but it is not in a secure environment! Type
>in a ficticious username and password and see what they are
>asking for! They have built a very official looking webpage
>that even has working links to AT&T pages. They are asking
>for checking account information and credit card information

Why are they checking account information?

>as well as PIN's.
>Do I even need to say, "DON'T DO IT!!!!"

-Barry
========

TRADESMAN

Barry OGrady wrote:
> On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 03:47:54 GMT, "DudleyDumstuff"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> There is a notice being e-mailed: AT&T Account Suspension
>> Notice It gives a link that you are supposed to go to ASAP.
>> When you click on the link, a LOG-IN page identical to
>> AT&T's appears but it is not in a secure environment! Type
>> in a ficticious username and password and see what they are
>> asking for! They have built a very official looking webpage
>> that even has working links to AT&T pages. They are asking
>> for checking account information and credit card information

> Why are they checking account information?

Suck it and see.

>> as well as PIN's.
>> Do I even need to say, "DON'T DO IT!!!!"
>>

> -Barry
> ========
> Web page: http://members.optusnet.com.au/~barry.og
> Atheist, radio scanner, LIPD information.

Thund3rstruc_N0i

Barry OGrady spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
> Why are they checking account information?

They are not. It's a similar scam to the "We need to veryfy your Paypal
account." scam. You give them the information that they ask, and they will
become Barry OGrady, for instance...

NOI

jasonr@christech

Just for the sake of saying it and hoping it will help someone reading this
message.By all means never give out any information to anyone,any company,
or even the President of the USA over the internet asking for :

1)Social security number
2)Drivers license number
3)checking account numbers
4) Logins and passwords to anything

Hopefully some else can add to the above.Identity theft is on the rise in
the world and this is why its important not to give out these kind of things
on the internet.

Hopefully this helps..Happy New Year and be safe on the net!
--
Christech Company
"Quality computer repair on the go"!

REMOVE NOSPAM FROM EMAIL IF
SENDING A EMAIL TO THIS ADDRESS

"DudleyDumstuff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:KXqJb.273239$(E-Mail Removed)...
> There is a notice being e-mailed: AT&T Account Suspension
> Notice It gives a link that you are supposed to go to ASAP.
> When you click on the link, a LOG-IN page identical to
> AT&T's appears but it is not in a secure environment! Type
> in a ficticious username and password and see what they are
> asking for! They have built a very official looking webpage
> that even has working links to AT&T pages. They are asking
> for checking account information and credit card information
> as well as PIN's.
> Do I even need to say, "DON'T DO IT!!!!"

Thund3rstruc_N0i

jasonr@christech spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and
proclaimed in <YJAJb.8140$(E-Mail Removed)>

> Just for the sake of saying it and hoping it will help someone reading
> this message.By all means never give out any information to anyone,any
> company, or even the President of the USA over the internet asking for :
>
> 1)Social security number
> 2)Drivers license number
> 3)checking account numbers
> 4) Logins and passwords to anything
>
> Hopefully some else can add to the above.Identity theft is on the rise in
> the world and this is why its important not to give out these kind of
> things on the internet.
>
> Hopefully this helps..Happy New Year and be safe on the net!

I would add:

5) name
6) personal information
7) address

but that's for other reasons... <G>

NOI

anthonyberet

jasonr@christech wrote:
> Just for the sake of saying it and hoping it will help someone
> reading this message.By all means never give out any information to
> anyone,any company, or even the President of the USA over the
> internet asking for :
>
> 1)Social security number
> 2)Drivers license number
> 3)checking account numbers
> 4) Logins and passwords to anything

Well you have to give your logins and passwords sometimes...
Just never do it from an unsolicted email -even if you follow a link to a
website from the email.
There is a recently-found weakness in Internet Explorer which allows the
realistic faking of the address that shows in the address-bar, so watch out,
that might not be your bank's server that you are logging into!

Check out this demonstration, its quite frightening that the not-so-savvy
could be exposed to this quite clever trick:
http://www.zapthedingbat.com/security/ex01/vun1.htm

--
You can't email me at the moment.
Do you use filesharing networks? If so, please visit my online poll:

Barry OGrady

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 11:14:47 -0500, Thund3rstruc_N0i <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>jasonr@christech spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and
>proclaimed in <YJAJb.8140$(E-Mail Removed)>
>
>> Just for the sake of saying it and hoping it will help someone reading
>> this message.By all means never give out any information to anyone,any
>> company, or even the President of the USA over the internet asking for :
>>
>> 1)Social security number
>> 2)Drivers license number
>> 3)checking account numbers
>> 4) Logins and passwords to anything
>>
>> Hopefully some else can add to the above.Identity theft is on the rise in
>> the world and this is why its important not to give out these kind of
>> things on the internet.
>>
>> Hopefully this helps..Happy New Year and be safe on the net!

> I would add:
>
>5) name
>6) personal information
>7) address
>
>but that's for other reasons... <G>
>
> NOI

Your checking acount number is safe but never give out your cheque account number.

-Barry
========