Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > PC-cillin Update Server Failure

PC-cillin Update Server Failure

SirOsisOfThuliver

I'm using Trend Micro's anti-virus software PC-cillin 2002. When I
attempt to update virus patterns, I get the following error msg:

PC-cillin Server response timed out

This error occurs both when PC-cillin automatically attempts to download
the latest virus patterns, and when I manually attempt the update (by
clicking the "update" button).

I've submitted the problem description on the Trend Micro website a
couple of times. So far, no response from them, though.

Has anyone else using PC-cillin 2002 encountered this problem? Any ideas
how I can resolve it?

Your help on this is appreciated.

°Mike°

Virus Pattern Files

On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 17:50:35 -0600, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
SirOsisOfThuliver scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

SirOsisOfThuliver

°Mike° wrote:

> Virus Pattern Files
> http://www.trendmicro.com/download/pattern.asp
>

> On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 17:50:35 -0600, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> SirOsisOfThuliver scrawled:
>

>>I'm using Trend Micro's anti-virus software PC-cillin 2002. When I
>>attempt to update virus patterns, I get the following error msg:
>>
>>PC-cillin Server response timed out
>>
>>This error occurs both when PC-cillin automatically attempts to download
>>the latest virus patterns, and when I manually attempt the update (by
>>clicking the "update" button).
>>
>>I've submitted the problem description on the Trend Micro website a
>>couple of times. So far, no response from them, though.
>>
>>Has anyone else using PC-cillin 2002 encountered this problem? Any ideas
>>how I can resolve it?
>>
>>Your help on this is appreciated.

Thank you, Mike, I appreciate the effort.

SirOsisOfThuliver

SirOsisOfThuliver wrote:

> °Mike° wrote:
>
>> Virus Pattern Files
>> http://www.trendmicro.com/download/pattern.asp
>>

>> On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 17:50:35 -0600, in
>> <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> SirOsisOfThuliver scrawled:
>>

>>> I'm using Trend Micro's anti-virus software PC-cillin 2002. When I
>>> attempt to update virus patterns, I get the following error msg:
>>>
>>> PC-cillin Server response timed out
>>>
>>> This error occurs both when PC-cillin automatically attempts to
>>> download the latest virus patterns, and when I manually attempt the
>>> update (by clicking the "update" button).
>>>
>>> I've submitted the problem description on the Trend Micro website a
>>> couple of times. So far, no response from them, though.
>>>
>>> Has anyone else using PC-cillin 2002 encountered this problem? Any
>>> ideas how I can resolve it?
>>>
>>> Your help on this is appreciated.
>>>

> Thank you, Mike, I appreciate the effort.

I should have added this info to my previous reply. For anyone else
experiencing this problem. Go to the link provided by Mike,

Download the correct file for your OS, unzip it, and copy the virus
pattern file, LPT$VPN.712 in this case, to the Trend Micro program
directory, which is, for Windows XP,

C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\PC-cillin 2002

°Mike°

On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 19:24:40 -0600, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
SirOsisOfThuliver scrawled:

>°Mike° wrote:
>
>> Virus Pattern Files
>> http://www.trendmicro.com/download/pattern.asp

<snip>

>Thank you, Mike, I appreciate the effort.

You're welcome.

--
Basic computer maintenance

Spider

Go to each of the folders below and delete the contents of each folder.
Do not delete the folder itself, just the contents.
\Program Files\Trend Micro\PC-cillin 2003\AU_Cache
\Program Files\Trend Micro\PC-cillin 2003\AU_Temp
\Program Files\Trend Micro\PC-cillin 2003\AU_Backup
\Program Files\Trend Micro\PC-cillin 2003\AU_Bin
\Program Files\Trend Micro\PC-cillin 2003\AUSrc.tmp
\Program Files\Trend Micro\PC-cillin 2003\temp
Then reboot the PC and do an update.
--
Spider
http://web.tampabay.rr.com/spider1
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Spider wrote:

> Go to each of the folders below and delete the contents of each folder.
> Do not delete the folder itself, just the contents.
> \Program Files\Trend Micro\PC-cillin 2003\AU_Cache
> \Program Files\Trend Micro\PC-cillin 2003\AU_Temp
> \Program Files\Trend Micro\PC-cillin 2003\AU_Backup
> \Program Files\Trend Micro\PC-cillin 2003\AU_Bin
> \Program Files\Trend Micro\PC-cillin 2003\AUSrc.tmp
> \Program Files\Trend Micro\PC-cillin 2003\temp
> Then reboot the PC and do an update.

Thanx, Spider, I'll give that a try. I did notice that the result.htm
file contained this:

[RESPONSE] Popup=1 RET=210

Which apparently is the return code from the update server. I'll go back
to the Trend Micro website and see if I can find out what it means.