Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Service like tinyurl but private link

Service like tinyurl but private link

Sparky

Hi,

Usually I do my best to answer questions here, but now I have one of my own
to ask. Is there a service like tinyurl.com or makeashorterlink.com where
the original link stays hidden when clicked on? In other words, I don't
want the link to show up in the address bar of someone's browser when they
click on it.

Reason is this: My phone company, Vonage (the main VoIP company) has
introduced a service where you can create a link which you can send via
email or build into a webpage. When someone clicks this link, it calls your
phone, provides caller ID info on who's calling, then calls their phone and
connects you.

Problem is, as it stands now the link would contain my user ID and password
for access to my phone service administration page. I could create a page
and use PHP to just have a "CALL ME" button, thereby letting the remote
server make the connection. But it would be great if I could just email
someone a link which they could click to connect us, but without divulging
personal info. I'd like for my email equipped nieces and nephew to be able
to call me with a click, but building a page seems like a pain, and I also
don't want them to see my login information.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Sparky

°Mike°

http://www.cjb.net/

On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 23:32:48 GMT, in
<AcnJb.122159$(E-Mail Removed)>
Sparky scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Brian H¹©

Sparky said:

> Hi,
>
> Usually I do my best to answer questions here, but now I have one of my own
> to ask. Is there a service like tinyurl.com or makeashorterlink.com where
> the original link stays hidden when clicked on? In other words, I don't
> want the link to show up in the address bar of someone's browser when they
> click on it.
>
> Reason is this: My phone company, Vonage (the main VoIP company) has
> introduced a service where you can create a link which you can send via
> email or build into a webpage. When someone clicks this link, it calls your
> phone, provides caller ID info on who's calling, then calls their phone and
> connects you.
>
> Problem is, as it stands now the link would contain my user ID and password
> for access to my phone service administration page. I could create a page
> and use PHP to just have a "CALL ME" button, thereby letting the remote
> server make the connection. But it would be great if I could just email
> someone a link which they could click to connect us, but without divulging
> personal info. I'd like for my email equipped nieces and nephew to be able
> to call me with a click, but building a page seems like a pain, and I also
> don't want them to see my login information.
>
> Any ideas? Thanks!
>
> Sparky

Wouldn't it be quicker for them to just press the preset for your number on
their phone, rather than boot up their pc, navigate to a url, wait for the
gubbings to load and send the signal?

Sparky

Thanks, but it still displays the whole original url.

°Mike° wrote:
> http://www.cjb.net/
>

> On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 23:32:48 GMT, in
> <AcnJb.122159$(E-Mail Removed)>
> Sparky scrawled:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Usually I do my best to answer questions here, but now I have one of
>> my own to ask. Is there a service like tinyurl.com or
>> makeashorterlink.com where the original link stays hidden when
>> clicked on? In other words, I don't want the link to show up in the
>> address bar of someone's browser when they click on it.
>>
>> Reason is this: My phone company, Vonage (the main VoIP company) has
>> introduced a service where you can create a link which you can send
>> via email or build into a webpage. When someone clicks this link,
>> it calls your phone, provides caller ID info on who's calling, then
>> calls their phone and connects you.
>>
>> Problem is, as it stands now the link would contain my user ID and
>> password for access to my phone service administration page. I
>> could create a page and use PHP to just have a "CALL ME" button,
>> thereby letting the remote server make the connection. But it would
>> be great if I could just email someone a link which they could click
>> to connect us, but without divulging personal info. I'd like for my
>> email equipped nieces and nephew to be able to call me with a click,
>> but building a page seems like a pain, and I also don't want them to
>> see my login information.
>>
>> Any ideas? Thanks!
>>
>> Sparky

Sparky

Brian H¹© wrote:
> Sparky said:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Usually I do my best to answer questions here, but now I have one of
>> my own to ask. Is there a service like tinyurl.com or
>> makeashorterlink.com where the original link stays hidden when
>> clicked on? In other words, I don't want the link to show up in the
>> address bar of someone's browser when they click on it.
>>
>> Reason is this: My phone company, Vonage (the main VoIP company) has
>> introduced a service where you can create a link which you can send
>> via email or build into a webpage. When someone clicks this link,
>> it calls your phone, provides caller ID info on who's calling, then
>> calls their phone and connects you.
>>
>> Problem is, as it stands now the link would contain my user ID and
>> password for access to my phone service administration page. I
>> could create a page and use PHP to just have a "CALL ME" button,
>> thereby letting the remote server make the connection. But it would
>> be great if I could just email someone a link which they could click
>> to connect us, but without divulging personal info. I'd like for my
>> email equipped nieces and nephew to be able to call me with a click,
>> but building a page seems like a pain, and I also don't want them to
>> see my login information.
>>
>> Any ideas? Thanks!
>>
>> Sparky

> Wouldn't it be quicker for them to just press the preset for your
> number on their phone, rather than boot up their pc, navigate to a
> url, wait for the gubbings to load and send the signal?

The point is that by clicking that link, it's a free call for them. Since I
have unlimited long distance service, it won't cost a thing to either of us.
Using this method essentially forces MY phone to originate the call.

°Mike°

Then what is this page referencing?

URL Cloaking
http://www.cjb.net/features.html

"URL cloaking. URL cloaking keeps your CJB.NET address in the
address bar of your browser when your web site is accessed
through its CJB.NET address. People bookmarking your site will
bookmark your CJB.NET address, and search engines will index
your site using your CJB.NET address. Keyword and description
meta tags can also be used with the URL cloaking option."

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 16:30:26 GMT, in
<C6CJb.134395$(E-Mail Removed)>
Sparky scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Sparky

Sorry I was looking at the simple link shortener they offered on the main
page.

The redirection service would be extremely cumbersome, since the service I'm
talking about requires a different url for each phone number which you want
to offer a link for. The phone number of the recipient is in the link
itself.

I'd better shelve the idea until I can get something up on my own page.
Thanks

°Mike° wrote:
> Then what is this page referencing?
>
> URL Cloaking
> http://www.cjb.net/features.html
>
> "URL cloaking. URL cloaking keeps your CJB.NET address in the
> address bar of your browser when your web site is accessed
> through its CJB.NET address. People bookmarking your site will
> bookmark your CJB.NET address, and search engines will index
> your site using your CJB.NET address. Keyword and description
> meta tags can also be used with the URL cloaking option."
>

> On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 16:30:26 GMT, in
> <C6CJb.134395$(E-Mail Removed)>
> Sparky scrawled:
>
>> Thanks, but it still displays the whole original url.
>>
>> °Mike° wrote:
>>> http://www.cjb.net/
>>>

>>> On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 23:32:48 GMT, in
>>> <AcnJb.122159$(E-Mail Removed)>
>>> Sparky scrawled:

Blinky the Shark

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 18:36:34 +0000, Sparky wrote:

> Sorry I was looking at the simple link shortener they offered on the
> main page.
>
> The redirection service would be extremely cumbersome, since the service
> I'm talking about requires a different url for each phone number which
> you want to offer a link for. The phone number of the recipient is in
> the link itself.

Take a look at SnipURL. http://snipurl.com. You can even make private
(password needed) shortlinks. And you make up your own short Urls, rather
than having them randomly and meaninglessly assigned. If you register
(free, not invasive), you can even manipulate your shortlinks, and see how
many hits they've had. It's a cool service.

--
Blinky