Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Windows Update Error -- HELP!!

Reply
Thread Tools

Windows Update Error -- HELP!!

 
 
dave
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-02-2004
I keep trying to access the Windows Update page to get critical XP updates
for my laptop, but I have repeatedly gotten a message that says "Windows
Update Error".
Anyone have any ideas as to why that might be?

Thanks in advance,
Dave


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mara
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-02-2004
On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 23:29:22 GMT, dave wrote:

>I keep trying to access the Windows Update page to get critical XP updates
>for my laptop, but I have repeatedly gotten a message that says "Windows
>Update Error".
>Anyone have any ideas as to why that might be?


http://tinyurl.com/37plo

>Thanks in advance,
>Dave
>


--
"No lusers were harmed in the creation of this usenet article.
AND I WANT TO KNOW WHY NOT!"
--glmar04 at twirl.mcc.ac.uk in a.s.r
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
°Mike°
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-02-2004
Close IE and clear your temporary internet files from
Control Panel / Internet Options. Be sure to check
the box to include all offline content.

Open Windows Explorer, and navigate to the
C:\Windows\WUTemp or C:\WUTemp, and
C:\Windows\msdownld.tmp folders. Empty
them if they contain anything.

Go to the 'Downloaded Programs Files' folder, and find
the Microsoft update ActiveX class. It should be named
'Udate class', and if you right click and choose 'Properties',
it should point to:
http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.co...ansi/iuctl.CAB
Right click and choose 'Remove'.

Next, search your drive (Find / Files) for the following
two files, and delete them: iuctl.dll and iuengine.dll .

Lastly, go to the C:\Program Files\WindowsUpdate\V4
folder and delete everything.

Now check that your internet zone in Control Panel / Internet
Options / Security is set to 'Default'.

Visit Windows Update again.
http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

IMPORTANT: You must disable your antivirus before visiting
Windows Update, otherwise the iuctl.dll file may not be
installed, or may be corrupted.


On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 23:29:22 GMT, in
<m9nJb.262473$_M.1224975@attbi_s54>
dave scrawled:

>I keep trying to access the Windows Update page to get critical XP updates
>for my laptop, but I have repeatedly gotten a message that says "Windows
>Update Error".
>Anyone have any ideas as to why that might be?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Dave
>


--
Basic computer maintenance
http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
dave
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-02-2004
Thanks, Mike. Mara's help was of no help at all to me. I appreciate your
type much better.
Thanks again.
Dave
"°Mike°" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Close IE and clear your temporary internet files from
> Control Panel / Internet Options. Be sure to check
> the box to include all offline content.
>
> Open Windows Explorer, and navigate to the
> C:\Windows\WUTemp or C:\WUTemp, and
> C:\Windows\msdownld.tmp folders. Empty
> them if they contain anything.
>
> Go to the 'Downloaded Programs Files' folder, and find
> the Microsoft update ActiveX class. It should be named
> 'Udate class', and if you right click and choose 'Properties',
> it should point to:
> http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.co...ansi/iuctl.CAB
> Right click and choose 'Remove'.
>
> Next, search your drive (Find / Files) for the following
> two files, and delete them: iuctl.dll and iuengine.dll .
>
> Lastly, go to the C:\Program Files\WindowsUpdate\V4
> folder and delete everything.
>
> Now check that your internet zone in Control Panel / Internet
> Options / Security is set to 'Default'.
>
> Visit Windows Update again.
> http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
>
> IMPORTANT: You must disable your antivirus before visiting
> Windows Update, otherwise the iuctl.dll file may not be
> installed, or may be corrupted.
>
>
> On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 23:29:22 GMT, in
> <m9nJb.262473$_M.1224975@attbi_s54>
> dave scrawled:
>
> >I keep trying to access the Windows Update page to get critical XP

updates
> >for my laptop, but I have repeatedly gotten a message that says "Windows
> >Update Error".
> >Anyone have any ideas as to why that might be?
> >
> >Thanks in advance,
> >Dave
> >

>
> --
> Basic computer maintenance
> http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html



 
Reply With Quote
 
°Mike°
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-03-2004
On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 23:50:43 GMT, in
<ntnJb.198485$8y1.663786@attbi_s52>
dave scrawled:

>Thanks, Mike. Mara's help was of no help at all to me.


Did you even try it?

>I appreciate your type much better.


I'm sure I don't know what you mean by that. If you
mean "my type of advice", then I often give links for
others to take from there, just as Mara did.

>Thanks again.


You're welcome.

>Dave
>"°Mike°" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Close IE and clear your temporary internet files from
>> Control Panel / Internet Options. Be sure to check
>> the box to include all offline content.
>>
>> Open Windows Explorer, and navigate to the
>> C:\Windows\WUTemp or C:\WUTemp, and
>> C:\Windows\msdownld.tmp folders. Empty
>> them if they contain anything.
>>
>> Go to the 'Downloaded Programs Files' folder, and find
>> the Microsoft update ActiveX class. It should be named
>> 'Udate class', and if you right click and choose 'Properties',
>> it should point to:
>> http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.co...ansi/iuctl.CAB
>> Right click and choose 'Remove'.
>>
>> Next, search your drive (Find / Files) for the following
>> two files, and delete them: iuctl.dll and iuengine.dll .
>>
>> Lastly, go to the C:\Program Files\WindowsUpdate\V4
>> folder and delete everything.
>>
>> Now check that your internet zone in Control Panel / Internet
>> Options / Security is set to 'Default'.
>>
>> Visit Windows Update again.
>> http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
>>
>> IMPORTANT: You must disable your antivirus before visiting
>> Windows Update, otherwise the iuctl.dll file may not be
>> installed, or may be corrupted.
>>
>>
>> On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 23:29:22 GMT, in
>> <m9nJb.262473$_M.1224975@attbi_s54>
>> dave scrawled:
>>
>> >I keep trying to access the Windows Update page to get critical XP

>updates
>> >for my laptop, but I have repeatedly gotten a message that says "Windows
>> >Update Error".
>> >Anyone have any ideas as to why that might be?
>> >
>> >Thanks in advance,
>> >Dave
>> >

>>
>> --
>> Basic computer maintenance
>> http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html

>


--
Basic computer maintenance
http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: Windows Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems(KB2491683) error 8024200D Robert Carnegie Windows 64bit 1 02-17-2012 06:49 AM
Update On The Windows Phone 7 Update Update Lawrence D'Oliveiro NZ Computing 2 02-25-2011 08:03 AM
Windows Update & Microsoft Update Greg Onyshczak Computer Support 2 07-28-2005 12:48 PM
Re: Windows Update not update IE, why? Adriano Computer Information 3 09-05-2004 07:44 PM
Windows Update not update IE, why? Adriano Computer Information 1 09-05-2004 12:24 PM



Advertisments