Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Microsoft Outlook 2002 - The Operation Failed

Microsoft Outlook 2002 - The Operation Failed

KinCornCarn

I've been having a strange problem with my MS Outlook lately... It's
been working fine for almost a year, but now, out of the blue, every
time I try to Send/Receive, I get an error message immediately stating
simply "The Operation Failed" with an OK button... I've made no
changes to my email account, and the normal Send/Receive dialog box
doesn't come up, so I can't get a more detailed error message.

There is nothing in my outbox, I'm simply trying to retrieve new email
from the pop3 server...

Has anyone else run into this? Any ideas?

Thanks.

KinCornCarn

Nope... nothing... I installed new Nvidia drivers, and VIA 4 in 1
drivers... Wouldn't think those would make a difference.... I
deleted and recreated my email account, but am still having the same
problem...

On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 20:08:17 GMT, "RDS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Have you made any changes or installed a new or different antiviral program
>lately? Doing this sometimes changes info in your account settings so it
>can scan your emails. Look in there and see if anything has changed and
>post back here.
>
>Roger
>
>"KinCornCarn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>I've been having a strange problem with my MS Outlook lately... It's
>been working fine for almost a year, but now, out of the blue, every
>time I try to Send/Receive, I get an error message immediately stating
>simply "The Operation Failed" with an OK button... I've made no
>changes to my email account, and the normal Send/Receive dialog box
>doesn't come up, so I can't get a more detailed error message.
>
>There is nothing in my outbox, I'm simply trying to retrieve new email
>from the pop3 server...
>
>Has anyone else run into this? Any ideas?
>
>Thanks.

RDS

[...]

Kráftéé

KinCornCarn wrote:
> I've been having a strange problem with my MS Outlook lately...
> It's been working fine for almost a year, but now, out of the blue,
> every time I try to Send/Receive, I get an error message
> immediately stating simply "The Operation Failed" with an OK
> button... I've made no changes to my email account, and the
> normal Send/Receive dialog box doesn't come up, so I can't get a
> more detailed error message.
>
> There is nothing in my outbox, I'm simply trying to retrieve new
> email from the pop3 server...
>
> Has anyone else run into this? Any ideas?
>
> Thanks.

Try checking with your ISP as a first step...

KinCornCarn

On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 20:09:21 -0000, "Kráftéé"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>KinCornCarn wrote:
>> I've been having a strange problem with my MS Outlook lately...
>> It's been working fine for almost a year, but now, out of the blue,
>> every time I try to Send/Receive, I get an error message
>> immediately stating simply "The Operation Failed" with an OK
>> button... I've made no changes to my email account, and the
>> normal Send/Receive dialog box doesn't come up, so I can't get a
>> more detailed error message.
>>
>> There is nothing in my outbox, I'm simply trying to retrieve new
>> email from the pop3 server...
>>
>> Has anyone else run into this? Any ideas?
>>
>> Thanks.

>Try checking with your ISP as a first step...

I've used Outlook Express to test connectivity, and the POP3 box is
working fine... I even received the Outlook XP test message that I
generated when I created the account.

Spider

To resolve this behavior, create a new profile:
1.. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
2.. Double-click the Mail icon.
3.. In the Mail Setup dialog box, click Show Profiles then click Add.
4.. In the New Profile dialog box, under Profile Name, type a descriptive
name for the new profile, and then click OK.
5.. In the E-mail Accounts dialog box, select Add a new e-mail account in
the e-mail options, and then click Next.
6.. Click the type of server that your e-mail account works with, and then
click Next.
7.. Complete all of the required fields, including those that are on the
tabs that appear after you click More Settings.
8.. When you finish providing the required information, click Finish.
9.. When back at the General tab look towards the bottom of the window and
change the "Always use this profile" to the name of the new one you just
created.
10.. When opening Outlook you will probably find an empty mailbox. That
is because the new profile will create a new Outlook.pst file. The default
you were using was named Outlook.pst and the new profile by default should
use Outlook1.pst. In Outlook Click File / Import Export and follow the
wizard to import your old pst file.
--
Spider
http://web.tampabay.rr.com/spider1

"KinCornCarn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 20:09:21 -0000, "Kráftéé"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >KinCornCarn wrote:
> >> I've been having a strange problem with my MS Outlook lately...
> >> It's been working fine for almost a year, but now, out of the blue,
> >> every time I try to Send/Receive, I get an error message
> >> immediately stating simply "The Operation Failed" with an OK
> >> button... I've made no changes to my email account, and the
> >> normal Send/Receive dialog box doesn't come up, so I can't get a
> >> more detailed error message.
> >>
> >> There is nothing in my outbox, I'm simply trying to retrieve new
> >> email from the pop3 server...
> >>
> >> Has anyone else run into this? Any ideas?
> >>
> >> Thanks.

> >Try checking with your ISP as a first step...
> >

> I've used Outlook Express to test connectivity, and the POP3 box is
> working fine... I even received the Outlook XP test message that I
> generated when I created the account.

RDS

What OS are you running?
Have you tired releasing and renewing your ipconfiguration?
Flush your DNS while you are at it!

Roger

"KinCornCarn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
Nope... nothing... I installed new Nvidia drivers, and VIA 4 in 1
drivers... Wouldn't think those would make a difference.... I
deleted and recreated my email account, but am still having the same
problem...

On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 20:08:17 GMT, "RDS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Have you made any changes or installed a new or different antiviral program
>lately? Doing this sometimes changes info in your account settings so it
>can scan your emails. Look in there and see if anything has changed and
>post back here.
>
>Roger
>
>"KinCornCarn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>I've been having a strange problem with my MS Outlook lately... It's
>been working fine for almost a year, but now, out of the blue, every
>time I try to Send/Receive, I get an error message immediately stating
>simply "The Operation Failed" with an OK button... I've made no
>changes to my email account, and the normal Send/Receive dialog box
>doesn't come up, so I can't get a more detailed error message.
>
>There is nothing in my outbox, I'm simply trying to retrieve new email
>from the pop3 server...
>
>Has anyone else run into this? Any ideas?
>
>Thanks.

KinCornCarn

Thanks... This worked... I deleted old profile and made a new one...
Any idea what can cause this in the first place?

On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 21:04:11 GMT, "Spider" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>To resolve this behavior, create a new profile:
> 1.. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
> 2.. Double-click the Mail icon.
> 3.. In the Mail Setup dialog box, click Show Profiles then click Add.
> 4.. In the New Profile dialog box, under Profile Name, type a descriptive
>name for the new profile, and then click OK.
> 5.. In the E-mail Accounts dialog box, select Add a new e-mail account in
>the e-mail options, and then click Next.
> 6.. Click the type of server that your e-mail account works with, and then
>click Next.
> 7.. Complete all of the required fields, including those that are on the
>tabs that appear after you click More Settings.
> 8.. When you finish providing the required information, click Finish.
> 9.. When back at the General tab look towards the bottom of the window and
>change the "Always use this profile" to the name of the new one you just
>created.
> 10.. When opening Outlook you will probably find an empty mailbox. That
>is because the new profile will create a new Outlook.pst file. The default
>you were using was named Outlook.pst and the new profile by default should
>use Outlook1.pst. In Outlook Click File / Import Export and follow the
>wizard to import your old pst file.

Spider

Not really, there are many different ways a profile can get corrupted. My
personal guess is that it was the pst file that was causing the problem, but
the new profile replaces that as well as the send/receive account.

--
Spider
http://web.tampabay.rr.com/spider1
"KinCornCarn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks... This worked... I deleted old profile and made a new one...
> Any idea what can cause this in the first place?
>
> On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 21:04:11 GMT, "Spider" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >To resolve this behavior, create a new profile:
> > 1.. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
> > 2.. Double-click the Mail icon.
> > 3.. In the Mail Setup dialog box, click Show Profiles then click Add.
> > 4.. In the New Profile dialog box, under Profile Name, type a

descriptive
> >name for the new profile, and then click OK.
> > 5.. In the E-mail Accounts dialog box, select Add a new e-mail account

in
> >the e-mail options, and then click Next.
> > 6.. Click the type of server that your e-mail account works with, and

then
> >click Next.
> > 7.. Complete all of the required fields, including those that are on

the
> >tabs that appear after you click More Settings.
> > 8.. When you finish providing the required information, click Finish.
> > 9.. When back at the General tab look towards the bottom of the window

and
> >change the "Always use this profile" to the name of the new one you just
> >created.
> > 10.. When opening Outlook you will probably find an empty mailbox.

That
> >is because the new profile will create a new Outlook.pst file. The

default
> >you were using was named Outlook.pst and the new profile by default

should
> >use Outlook1.pst. In Outlook Click File / Import Export and follow the
> >wizard to import your old pst file.

pcbutts1

Spiders back!

news:JPnJb.174617$(E-Mail Removed). com...