Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > "my way" websearch

"my way" websearch

berkscouple_uk

Hi, recently I've noticed when I type something into the IE "address bar" to
search for it, it comes up with the "My Way" websearch page, I would prefer
it to come up with the msn websearch results. Why has this changed and how
can i change it back,
Thanks

Hywel Jenkins

In article <bt498p$muh$(E-Mail Removed)>, berkscouple_uk69
@hotmail.com says...
> Hi, recently I've noticed when I type something into the IE "address bar" to
> search for it, it comes up with the "My Way" websearch page, I would prefer
> it to come up with the msn websearch results. Why has this changed

You've probably installed some software that did it.

> and how
> can i change it back,

Show the Search Bar, then click "Customize".

--
Hywel I do not eat quiche
http://hyweljenkins.co.uk/

berkscouple_uk

Thanks for the reply, however, I tried "customise" and it came up with a
"customise search settings" menu, "find a web page" was ticked and so was
msn search, "find a map" was ticked and so was expedia, and "previous
searches" was also ticked. I clicked on "autosearch settings" and the only
option in the drop down menu was msn as a search provider, nowhere was "my
way" mentioned. And it still comes up with a "my way" results page, how do i
get rid of it?
Thanks.
"Hywel Jenkins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> In article <bt498p$muh$(E-Mail Removed)>, berkscouple_uk69
> @hotmail.com says...
> > Hi, recently I've noticed when I type something into the IE "address

bar" to
> > search for it, it comes up with the "My Way" websearch page, I would

prefer
> > it to come up with the msn websearch results. Why has this changed

> You've probably installed some software that did it.
>

> > and how
> > can i change it back,

> Show the Search Bar, then click "Customize".
>
> --
> Hywel I do not eat quiche
> http://hyweljenkins.co.uk/
> http://hyweljenkins.co.uk/mfaq.php

David A. Seiver

On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 17:20:16 -0000, "berkscouple_uk"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi, recently I've noticed when I type something into the IE "address bar" to
>search for it, it comes up with the "My Way" websearch page, I would prefer
>it to come up with the msn websearch results. Why has this changed and how
>can i change it back,
>Thanks

You've become the unwilling recipient of a Browser Hijack virus.
It poses as a legitimate search engine, but tracks your activities and
sends the info back a spam site, which in turn uses the cookies to
generate pop-ups on your browser.

If you have a Spyware scanner, use it and rid the system of it. If
not, get one.

Spider

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/spider1
"berkscouple_uk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bt4b61$f01$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for the reply, however, I tried "customise" and it came up with a
> "customise search settings" menu, "find a web page" was ticked and so was
> msn search, "find a map" was ticked and so was expedia, and "previous
> searches" was also ticked. I clicked on "autosearch settings" and the only
> option in the drop down menu was msn as a search provider, nowhere was "my
> way" mentioned. And it still comes up with a "my way" results page, how do

> get rid of it?

My Way search is spyware. You need to run a spyware cleaner such as
Ad-aware or Spybot to clean it up. Find either of them in the download
section of http://www.spywareinfo.com . Once you run that, go to Control
Panel / Internet Options and on the Programs tab, click "Reset Web Settings"
--
Spider

Boomer

"berkscouple_uk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:bt498p$muh$(E-Mail Removed):

> Hi, recently I've noticed when I type something into the IE
> "address bar" to search for it, it comes up with the "My Way"
> websearch page, I would prefer it to come up with the msn
> websearch results. Why has this changed and how can i change it
> back, Thanks

Install, at least, the first three.
Keep updated and use often.

Ad-aware (Aims at Adware/Spyware.)
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

SpybotSD Aims for the dialers, trojans,
hijackers and security/privacy issues.
http://www.safer-networking.org/

Spyware Blaster

http://vipmeister.com/dl/aspy/aspy.html

StartupList, HijackThis and CoolWebShredder
http://www.merijn.org/files/hijackthis.zip
http://www.merijn.org/htlogtutorial.html

Info on above and more.

Parasites: Cookies, Dialers, Keyloggers, Trackers
http://www.generation.net/~hleboeuf/bhoindex.htm

~ Spyware Information ~
http://www.cexx.org/adware.htm

~Unsolicited commercial software list and info~
http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/

~Other software~
http://www.wilders.org/

Newsgroup: alt.privacy.spyware

Also serach Google and Googles archive for more information.

Top 10 Tips to Keep Your Computer Virus-Free
http://www.symantec.com/homecomputin...ry/topten.html

berkscouple_uk

Thanks for the help, will try spybot and adaware.

news:3ff5bb63$0$5113$(E-Mail Removed) eenews.net...
> "berkscouple_uk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:bt498p$muh$(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > Hi, recently I've noticed when I type something into the IE
> > "address bar" to search for it, it comes up with the "My Way"
> > websearch page, I would prefer it to come up with the msn
> > websearch results. Why has this changed and how can i change it
> > back, Thanks

> Install, at least, the first three.
> Keep updated and use often.
>
> Ad-aware (Aims at Adware/Spyware.)
> http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
>
> SpybotSD Aims for the dialers, trojans,
> hijackers and security/privacy issues.
> http://www.safer-networking.org/
>
> Spyware Blaster
>
> A-spy For trojans hiding in startup entries.
> http://vipmeister.com/dl/aspy/aspy.html
>
> StartupList, HijackThis and CoolWebShredder
> http://www.merijn.org/files/hijackthis.zip
> http://www.merijn.org/files/cwshredder.zip
> http://www.merijn.org/cwschronicles.html
> http://www.merijn.org/htlogtutorial.html
>
> Info on above and more.
> http://www.generation.net/~hleboeuf/spyware.htm
>
> Parasites: Cookies, Dialers, Keyloggers, Trackers
> http://www.generation.net/~hleboeuf/bhoindex.htm
>
> ~ Spyware Information ~
> http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/Darnit.htm
> http://www.cexx.org/adware.htm
> http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
>
> ~Unsolicited commercial software list and info~
> http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/
>
> ~Other software~
> http://www.wilders.org/
>
> Newsgroup: alt.privacy.spyware
>
> Also serach Google and Googles archive for more information.
>
> Top 10 Tips to Keep Your Computer Virus-Free
> http://www.symantec.com/homecomputin...ry/topten.html

Boomer

"berkscouple_uk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:bt52b0$jo$(E-Mail Removed):

> Thanks for the help, will try spybot and adaware.

You're welcome. Post back, in this thread, if those don't help.