Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Mail delivery error: return Mail User unknown

Mail delivery error: return Mail User unknown

divoch

On one, but only one, of my hotmail accounts I have been getting for several
days a large number of these error messages. I am not knowingly initiating
any mail from that account, my AVG virus scanner does not report any
problems. This happens only on one hotmail account (out of four on this PC).
I am accessing these hotmail accounts via OE. It does not happen on my non
hotmail accounts.

Any suggestions?
Thanks
Roman

Hywel Jenkins

In article <F_fJb.15312$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> On one, but only one, of my hotmail accounts I have been getting for several
> days a large number of these error messages. I am not knowingly initiating
> any mail from that account, my AVG virus scanner does not report any
> problems. This happens only on one hotmail account (out of four on this PC).
> I am accessing these hotmail accounts via OE. It does not happen on my non
> hotmail accounts.

Your Hotmail address may be used as the return address in junk mail.

--
Hywel I do not eat quiche
http://hyweljenkins.co.uk/

divoch

"Hywel Jenkins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) t...
> In article <F_fJb.15312$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
> > On one, but only one, of my hotmail accounts I have been getting for

several
> > days a large number of these error messages.

> Your Hotmail address may be used as the return address in junk mail.

If that is the case then it seems to me there is little I can do to stop it?
One extra bit of information - all the addresses to which delivery fails
have so far been AOL addresses.

Roman

Hywel Jenkins

In article <1sgJb.15326$(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> "Hywel Jenkins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) t...
> > In article <F_fJb.15312$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > (E-Mail Removed) says...
> > > On one, but only one, of my hotmail accounts I have been getting for

> several
> > > days a large number of these error messages.

> > Your Hotmail address may be used as the return address in junk mail.

> If that is the case then it seems to me there is little I can do to stop it?

Not really.

> One extra bit of information - all the addresses to which delivery fails
> have so far been AOL addresses.

AOL is probably a target for randomly created addresses. Get MailWasher
and use it to check the sender/subject line/headers and automatically
delete mail before you download it.

--
Hywel I do not eat quiche
http://hyweljenkins.co.uk/
http://hyweljenkins.co.uk/mfaq.php

divoch

"Hywel Jenkins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) t...
> > > Your Hotmail address may be used as the return address in junk mail.

> > If that is the case then it seems to me there is little I can do to stop

it?

> Not really.
>

> > One extra bit of information - all the addresses to which delivery fails
> > have so far been AOL addresses.

> AOL is probably a target for randomly created addresses. Get MailWasher
> and use it to check the sender/subject line/headers and automatically
> delete mail before you download it.

Thanks
Roman

PowerPost2000

On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 15:18:32 -0000, "divoch"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On one, but only one, of my hotmail accounts I have been getting for several
>days a large number of these error messages. I am not knowingly initiating
>any mail from that account, my AVG virus scanner does not report any
>problems. This happens only on one hotmail account (out of four on this PC).
>I am accessing these hotmail accounts via OE. It does not happen on my non
>hotmail accounts.
>
>Any suggestions?
>Thanks
>Roman

I've been getting a lot of these too, mostly from AOL. they all come
with attatchments. be sure to check these attatchments, most of mine
contained a virus.

David A. Seiver

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On one, but only one, of my hotmail accounts I have been getting for several
>days a large number of these error messages. I am not knowingly initiating
>any mail from that account, my AVG virus scanner does not report any
>problems. This happens only on one hotmail account (out of four on this PC).
>I am accessing these hotmail accounts via OE. It does not happen on my non
>hotmail accounts.
>
>Any suggestions?
>Thanks
>Roman

WARNING!!!

These are virus emails, containing the Swen mass mailer worm. DO NOT
OPEN THESE EMAILS!!! Delete them immediately!!
Set your Email Security, SpamBlocker or whatever to block and delete
these messages.

The Emails may contain different headers and Addresses, the most
common being the MicroSoft Update, or Internet Security Patch.

Also, beware of Emails claiming to be from EBay, stating that they
want to update your account information.

divoch

"David A. Seiver" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 15:18:32 -0000, "divoch"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >On one, but only one, of my hotmail accounts I have been getting for

several
> >days a large number of these error messages.

> WARNING!!!
>

> These are virus emails, containing the Swen mass mailer worm. DO NOT
> OPEN THESE EMAILS!!! Delete them immediately!!
> Set your Email Security, SpamBlocker or whatever to block and delete
> these messages.
>
> The Emails may contain different headers and Addresses, the most
> common being the MicroSoft Update, or Internet Security Patch.
>
> Also, beware of Emails claiming to be from EBay, stating that they
> want to update your account information.

These messages do not have various headers. They all are or appear to be
Mail delivery error messages From: Mail Delivery Subsystem with the
same Subject: Returned Mail User unknown

Regards
Roman

Mara

On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 23:38:59 -0000, divoch wrote:

>"David A. Seiver" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 15:18:32 -0000, "divoch"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >On one, but only one, of my hotmail accounts I have been getting for

>several
>> >days a large number of these error messages.

>> WARNING!!!
>>

>> These are virus emails, containing the Swen mass mailer worm. DO NOT
>> OPEN THESE EMAILS!!! Delete them immediately!!
>> Set your Email Security, SpamBlocker or whatever to block and delete
>> these messages.
>>
>> The Emails may contain different headers and Addresses, the most
>> common being the MicroSoft Update, or Internet Security Patch.
>>
>> Also, beware of Emails claiming to be from EBay, stating that they
>> want to update your account information.

>These messages do not have various headers. They all are or appear to be
>Mail delivery error messages From: Mail Delivery Subsystem with the
>same Subject: Returned Mail User unknown

That's W32/Gibe-F (Swen.A-C.)

http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/w32gibef.html

"David was essentially correct."

>Regards
>Roman

AND I WANT TO KNOW WHY NOT!"
--glmar04 at twirl.mcc.ac.uk in a.s.r

David A. Seiver

On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 18:02:07 -0600, Mara
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>That's W32/Gibe-F (Swen.A-C.)
>
>http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/w32gibef.html
>
>"David was essentially correct."
>

>>Regards
>>Roman

Yes, and regarding my previous statement, the Emails take these
various forms:

Sender Subject
MS Net Delivery System - Returned Message: Returned To Mailer
Administrator - Error Notice
Net Service - Undeliverable Message
Internet Mail Delivery System - notice
MS Internet Email Storage System - report

The list goes on, but you get the idea. The clue is that all of these
Emails are the same file size.