Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Networking windows XP and 98--help please!

Networking windows XP and 98--help please!

Denise

I posted a week or two ago about having just gotten a new computer. I'm
trying to get it to see my old network, and having every problem imaginable.
I have a cable modem, which feeds into a hub, where all my computers get
their internet access. All the other computers use Windows 98 and have no
problems at all accessing each other. But I can not get my XP computer to
see the 98 computers, nor can the 98 computers see my XP computer. I've run
the networking wizard on the XP computer, which had me make a floppy and
install the network thing on the other computers, but that didn't work
either. I went to the site Miggsee was kind enough to link me to in my
other thread, but I've already done one of the things it tells me not to do
(using the floppy on the 98 computers), and disabling the internet
connection firewall doesn't seem to have helped either. Please, please,
please, any ideas would be so welcomed!

Thanks in advance, and if any more info is needed, all you have to do is
ask.

Denise, who hopes people aren't getting sick of her newbie-ness.

PS: I can access the internet just fine from the XP computer--I just can't
see the other computers on the network. Just to clarify.

Unk

First, you should get a router/gateway like D-Link, Belkin, Netgear,
Linksys, etc. instead of a hub. You need a minimum of a NAT
firewall on the WAN side to protect your shared files. It will allow you
to share the internet connection, and it will negotiate the cable modem
connection automatically. I've seen D-Links for as little as $30.00.
(Belkin, Linksys, & Netgear are available at any Staples outlet.)

Is the XP network name the same as the Win98 machines? (WORKGROUP)
Have you configured the drives for sharing?

Here's some networking resources:
http://www.wown.com/
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
http://www.carricksolutions.com/networking.htm
http://www.performit.co.uk/network/
http://smallnetbuilder.com/

Step-by-Step - Networking for Dummies
http://www.wown.info/j_helmig/guide.htm

"Unk" wrote:
> First, you should get a router/gateway like D-Link, Belkin, Netgear,

Linksys, etc. instead of a hub. You need a minimum of a NAT firewall on the
WAN side to protect your shared files. It will allow you to share the
internet connection, and it will negotiate the cable modem connection
automatically. I've seen D-Links for as little as $30.00. (Belkin, Linksys,
& Netgear are available at any Staples outlet.)

I have Zone Alarm installed on all the computers, and internet access isn't
a problem on any of the computers. Do I really need a router or some such?

> Is the XP network name the same as the Win98 machines? (WORKGROUP)

Yeah, I used the default workgroup name, MSHOME.

> Have you configured the drives for sharing?

By configuring, do you mean right-clicking and setting the files to be
shared? If so, then yes, they're configured. Like I say, the 98 machines
share just fine. I just can't get them to recognize that the XP computer is
there. They see each other fine, they can share files just fine, they just
don't see the XP machine *at all*. It's like it doesn't exist. And when I
open the my network places on the XP computer, the only thing it sees is
itself.

> Here's some networking resources:
> http://www.wown.com/
> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
> http://www.carricksolutions.com/networking.htm
> http://www.performit.co.uk/network/
> http://smallnetbuilder.com/
>
> Step-by-Step - Networking for Dummies
> http://www.wown.info/j_helmig/guide.htm

Thanks, I'll give 'em all a look!

Denise

nemo2

Denise,

Make sure that all the computers have the same workgroup name.

Regards

nemo2

"nemo2" wrote:
> Denise,
>
> Make sure that all the computers have the same workgroup name.

I did that already, actually, when I ran the network wizard thing (sorry,
can't remember the proper name of it and got so sick of it I don't want to
ever look at it again). I *finally* got the problem fixed, sort of by
accident. I read (I think on one of the links Miggsee was kind enough to
supply me with) not to conform the rest of my network to the XP computer, to
make the XP computer conform to my existing network. So that got me
thinking, and I did a bit of research. Turns out my old network is using
the NetBeui protocol, which XP doesn't include. I copied the files over
onto the new computer and voila, we have network access.

Thanks for all your help everyone!

Denise