Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Screen is sideways..

Screen is sideways..

83LowRider

I have a friend who's computer illiterate.. he just brought me his
fairly new HP... with XP home edition. Everything on the monitor
is sideways.. the mouse moves accordingly (up and down is left and
right w/mouse). Is there anyone with any suggestions? This one has me
baffled. Thanks.

Brian H¹©

83LowRider said:

> I have a friend who's computer illiterate.. he just brought me his
> fairly new HP... with XP home edition. Everything on the monitor
> is sideways.. the mouse moves accordingly (up and down is left and
> right w/mouse). Is there anyone with any suggestions? This one has me
> baffled. Thanks.

Lay it on it's side ?

Don C

If it's a pivoting LCD monitor, check the display settings. There should
be something, probably in the advanced settings to adjust the
orientation.

"83LowRider" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:MPLIb.3313$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
> I have a friend who's computer illiterate.. he just brought me his
> fairly new HP... with XP home edition. Everything on the monitor
> is sideways.. the mouse moves accordingly (up and down is left and
> right w/mouse). Is there anyone with any suggestions? This one has me
> baffled. Thanks.

Bovine Spongiform

So you are illiterate also?

"83LowRider" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:MPLIb.3313$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
> I have a friend who's computer illiterate.. he just brought me his
> fairly new HP... with XP home edition. Everything on the monitor
> is sideways.. the mouse moves accordingly (up and down is left and
> right w/mouse). Is there anyone with any suggestions? This one has me
> baffled. Thanks.

Trax

On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 02:43:56 GMT, "83LowRider" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|> I have a friend who's computer illiterate.. he just brought me his
|> fairly new HP... with XP home edition. Everything on the monitor
|> is sideways.. the mouse moves accordingly (up and down is left and
|> right w/mouse). Is there anyone with any suggestions? This one has me
|> baffled. Thanks.

This sounds like something unrelated to XP and a function of the Video card or
Monitor software. I'd opt for the video card software. Try Display options
(right-lick desktop, properties) > settings > advanced and snoop around.

Or as suggested turn it on it's side
--
,,
( "> w Someday, we'll look back on this,

Juan Pérez

In news:IcMIb.14285$(E-Mail Removed),
Brian H¹© <(E-Mail Removed)-vine.co.uk.invalid> typed:
> 83LowRider said:
>
> > I have a friend who's computer illiterate.. he just brought me his
> > fairly new HP... with XP home edition. Everything on the monitor
> > is sideways.. the mouse moves accordingly (up and down is left and
> > right w/mouse). Is there anyone with any suggestions? This one has
> > me baffled. Thanks.

> Lay it on it's side ?

Juan Pérez

In news:MPLIb.3313$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net,
83LowRider <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:
> I have a friend who's computer illiterate.. he just brought me his
> fairly new HP... with XP home edition. Everything on the monitor
> is sideways.. the mouse moves accordingly (up and down is left and
> right w/mouse). Is there anyone with any suggestions? This one has me
> baffled. Thanks.

Your friend could play with the computer while lying down.

-Lone_Wolf-

83LowRider wrote:
> I have a friend who's computer illiterate.. he just brought me his
> fairly new HP... with XP home edition. Everything on the monitor
> is sideways.. the mouse moves accordingly (up and down is left and
> right w/mouse). Is there anyone with any suggestions? This one has me
> baffled. Thanks.

What does it do in safe mode?

If it looks correct then its a driver issue, if not its probably
hardware.

My guess is it is an option in the video software/drivers although
having the mouse working on a different orientation to the display is
odd.

Budweiser

the geforce cards have the option to rotate the screen image--other similar
cards probably have the same
check out display properties/advaced/geforce/nvrotate--located on the side
bar

"83LowRider" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:MPLIb.3313$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
> I have a friend who's computer illiterate.. he just brought me his
> fairly new HP... with XP home edition. Everything on the monitor
> is sideways.. the mouse moves accordingly (up and down is left and
> right w/mouse). Is there anyone with any suggestions? This one has me
> baffled. Thanks.

Bishoop

"83LowRider" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:MPLIb.3313$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
> I have a friend who's computer illiterate.. he just brought me his
> fairly new HP... with XP home edition. Everything on the monitor
> is sideways.. the mouse moves accordingly (up and down is left and
> right w/mouse). Is there anyone with any suggestions? This one has me
> baffled. Thanks.

Control Panel > Display > Settings > Advanced.

Some video cards have the option to rotate the display. Look and see if
it's there.