Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Still Need Help with OE

Still Need Help with OE

Jenn

I've tried maintenance, that's not helping. Ever since I downloaded the
automatic updates from XP, messages in newsgroups take up to 30 seconds to
download, sometimes I have to stop and try again. Any other suggestions?

Jenn

PhilŪ

Jenn:

Here's some interesting reading.

You May Experience Performance Issues After
You Install the 811493 (MS03-013) Package on
Your Windows XP SP1-Based Computer

Good Luck

PhilŪ

"Jenn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I've tried maintenance, that's not helping. Ever since I downloaded the
> automatic updates from XP, messages in newsgroups take up to 30 seconds to
> download, sometimes I have to stop and try again. Any other suggestions?
>
> Jenn

Boomer

"Jenn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:BLFIb.20927$(E-Mail Removed):

> I've tried maintenance, that's not helping. Ever since I
> downloaded the automatic updates from XP, messages in newsgroups
> take up to 30 seconds to download, sometimes I have to stop and
> try again. Any other suggestions?
>
> Jenn

Are you sure it's not a problem with RoadRunner? Have you read through
their local groups to see if there is a problem lately?

Maybe try a real news reader like Forte Agent or Xnews?

°Mike°

Try a real newsreader.

Agent
http://www.forteinc.com/

Xnews
http://xnews.newsguy.com/

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 19:49:53 GMT, in
<BLFIb.20927$(E-Mail Removed)>
Jenn scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Jenn

news:3ff32b99$0$5094$(E-Mail Removed) eenews.net...
> "Jenn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:BLFIb.20927$(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > I've tried maintenance, that's not helping. Ever since I
> > downloaded the automatic updates from XP, messages in newsgroups
> > take up to 30 seconds to download, sometimes I have to stop and
> > try again. Any other suggestions?
> >
> > Jenn

> Are you sure it's not a problem with RoadRunner? Have you read through
> their local groups to see if there is a problem lately?

Nope, has nothing to do with Road Runner. How I know is that this has
happened in the past. I had to reinstall XP a while back, so I did the
automatic updates. I should have remembered.

> Maybe try a real news reader like Forte Agent or Xnews?

I've used OE for years, but I might just break down and install one of
these.

Jenn

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Try a real newsreader.
>
> Agent
> http://www.forteinc.com/
>
> Xnews
> http://xnews.newsguy.com/

I downloaded Forte Agent, I will probably end up paying the $30 for it. Is
the pay one better than the free? What advantages does it have?

> On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 19:49:53 GMT, in
> <BLFIb.20927$(E-Mail Removed)>
> Jenn scrawled:
>
> >I've tried maintenance, that's not helping. Ever since I downloaded the
> >automatic updates from XP, messages in newsgroups take up to 30 seconds

> >download, sometimes I have to stop and try again. Any other suggestions?
> >
> >Jenn
> >

> --
> Basic computer maintenance

°Mike°

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 20:30:35 GMT, in
<LlGIb.21075$(E-Mail Removed)>
Jenn scrawled:

>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Try a real newsreader.
>>
>> Agent
>> http://www.forteinc.com/
>>
>> Xnews
>> http://xnews.newsguy.com/

>I downloaded Forte Agent, I will probably end up paying the $30 for it. Is
>the pay one better than the free? What advantages does it have?

Yes, the free one has limited functions.
http://www.forteinc.com/agent/features.php

--
Basic computer maintenance

°Mike°

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 20:30:35 GMT, in
<LlGIb.21075$(E-Mail Removed)>
Jenn scrawled:

>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Try a real newsreader.
>>
>> Agent
>> http://www.forteinc.com/
>>
>> Xnews
>> http://xnews.newsguy.com/

>I downloaded Forte Agent, I will probably end up paying the $30 for it. Is
>the pay one better than the free? What advantages does it have?

You might also want to take a look at 40tude Dialog. It's similar, in many
ways, to Agent, but it's free. The only thing to keep in mind, is that it's
in perpetual Beta. If I remember correctly, it doesn't have the single click
delete feature, which put me off trying it for any extended period. That
might have changed, though.
http://www.40tude.com/dialog/

--
Basic computer maintenance

Jenn

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 20:30:35 GMT, in
> <LlGIb.21075$(E-Mail Removed)>
> Jenn scrawled:
>

> >"°Mike°" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Try a real newsreader.
> >>
> >> Agent
> >> http://www.forteinc.com/
> >>
> >> Xnews
> >> http://xnews.newsguy.com/

> >I downloaded Forte Agent, I will probably end up paying the $30 for it.

Is
> >the pay one better than the free? What advantages does it have?

> You might also want to take a look at 40tude Dialog. It's similar, in

many
> ways, to Agent, but it's free. The only thing to keep in mind, is that

it's
> in perpetual Beta. If I remember correctly, it doesn't have the single

click
> delete feature, which put me off trying it for any extended period. That
> might have changed, though.
> http://www.40tude.com/dialog/

Ok I'm liking 40tude Dialog a lot better than any of them. And I'm seeing
the slow message pull-up as an XP thing, because it's slow in there also.

> --
> Basic computer maintenance

°Mike°

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 20:49:34 GMT, in
<yDGIb.21126$(E-Mail Removed)>
Jenn scrawled:

>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 20:30:35 GMT, in
>> <LlGIb.21075$(E-Mail Removed)>
>> Jenn scrawled:
>>

>> >"°Mike°" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> >news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> >I downloaded Forte Agent, I will probably end up paying the $30 for it.

>Is
>> >the pay one better than the free? What advantages does it have?

>> You might also want to take a look at 40tude Dialog. It's similar, in

>many
>> ways, to Agent, but it's free. The only thing to keep in mind, is that

>it's
>> in perpetual Beta. If I remember correctly, it doesn't have the single

>click
>> delete feature, which put me off trying it for any extended period. That
>> might have changed, though.
>> http://www.40tude.com/dialog/

>Ok I'm liking 40tude Dialog a lot better than any of them. And I'm seeing
>the slow message pull-up as an XP thing, because it's slow in there also.

1. How many things do you have running at once?

Check what's necessary and what isn't
http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php
http://www.answersthatwork.com/Taskl...s/tasklist.htm

Services Guide for Windows XP
http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm

Windows XP Service Configurations
http://www.blkviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

Windows XP Strange Service Information
http://www.blkviper.com/WinXP/strangeservice.htm

2. Have you checked your system for malware?

Spybot Search & Destroy
http://spybot.eon.net.au/
http://www.safer-networking.org/
SpyBot S&D guide