Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > No incoming email

No incoming email

Champagne Charlie

I am able to send email to my friends and they tell me they are receiving
them....'by telephone!
However, I am not receiving their replies to my emails. Anyone know what to
do about this?
I use Win XP and the problem is only present in Outlook Express. I can get
my mail via 'WebMail' though.
For some strange reason, I can only get my 'WebMail' when at work, but not
from my home.
My email server is Tiscali. My pop and smtp setup looks fine...... i.e.
pop.tiscali.co.uk and smtp.tiscali.co.uk
My email sever is a pop3 server and I indicate this in my OE settings too.
My username and password are okay.
Why do I have no incoming mail when using OE?
Any assistance appreciated.
TIA.
C.C.

Brian H¹©

Champagne Charlie said:

> I am able to send email to my friends and they tell me they are receiving
> them....'by telephone!
> However, I am not receiving their replies to my emails. Anyone know what to
> do about this?
> I use Win XP and the problem is only present in Outlook Express. I can get
> my mail via 'WebMail' though.
> For some strange reason, I can only get my 'WebMail' when at work, but not
> from my home.
> My email server is Tiscali. My pop and smtp setup looks fine...... i.e.
> pop.tiscali.co.uk and smtp.tiscali.co.uk
> My email sever is a pop3 server and I indicate this in my OE settings too.
> My username and password are okay.
> Why do I have no incoming mail when using OE?
> Any assistance appreciated.
> TIA.
> C.C.

You could always visit your ISP's web site, check the server status page, or
phone their outages phone line (if they have one) to see if there is a server
problem.
Or you could just wait a while until the server(s) get sorted.
Did you know it can take up to 10 days to deliver e-mail?

Champagne Charlie

I should also add that when I click on 'send/receive', the usual things
happen and OE doesn't give me any error messages and goes through the
'retreiving messages' and tells me 'no new messages', but I know I 'have'
new messages as I send myself some test emails from home and from work. Sure
enough, when I use the WebMail they are right there on my server, but won't
come in using OE.
;o(
C.C.

Brian H¹©

Champagne Charlie said:

> I should also add that when I click on 'send/receive', the usual things
> happen and OE doesn't give me any error messages and goes through the
> 'retreiving messages' and tells me 'no new messages', but I know I 'have'
> new messages as I send myself some test emails from home and from work. Sure
> enough, when I use the WebMail they are right there on my server, but won't
> come in using OE.
> ;o(
> C.C.

How long have you had the problem?

°Mike°

Your friends are receiving your emails by phone?! Yeah, right.

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 22:19:33 -0000, in
<mOmIb.315$(E-Mail Removed)>
"Champagne Charlie" <Software@(SkipTheBrackets)Totalise.co.uk> scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Champagne Charlie

"Brian H¹©" <(E-Mail Removed)-vine.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
news:4XmIb.13500$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Champagne Charlie said:
>
> > I should also add that when I click on 'send/receive', the usual things
> > happen and OE doesn't give me any error messages and goes through the
> > 'retreiving messages' and tells me 'no new messages', but I know I

'have'
> > new messages as I send myself some test emails from home and from work.

Sure
> > enough, when I use the WebMail they are right there on my server, but

won't
> > come in using OE.
> > ;o(
> > C.C.

> How long have you had the problem?

I have had the problem for app., 5 days now. All other Tiscali users on a
DialUp I know don't have this problem.
I checked out their status page and all is well....'it says.

C.C.

Patrick

°Mike° wrote:
> Your friends are receiving your emails by phone?! Yeah, right.

Is this really you °Mike° ?
#1, You are pulling the leg (no smiley)
#2, You have not understood that the OP's friend has confirmed reciept of
e-mail from OP, said confirmation haveing been attained over the telephone
(talkie ting).

> On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 22:19:33 -0000, in
> <mOmIb.315$(E-Mail Removed)>
> "Champagne Charlie" <Software@(SkipTheBrackets)Totalise.co.uk>
> scrawled:
>
>> I am able to send email to my friends and they tell me they are
>> receiving them....'by telephone!
>> However, I am not receiving their replies to my emails. Anyone know
>> what to do about this?
>> I use Win XP and the problem is only present in Outlook Express. I
>> can get my mail via 'WebMail' though.
>> For some strange reason, I can only get my 'WebMail' when at work,
>> but not from my home.
>> My email server is Tiscali. My pop and smtp setup looks fine......
>> i.e. pop.tiscali.co.uk and smtp.tiscali.co.uk
>> My email sever is a pop3 server and I indicate this in my OE
>> settings too. My username and password are okay.
>> Why do I have no incoming mail when using OE?
>> Any assistance appreciated.
>> TIA.
>> C.C.

Champagne Charlie

Thanks Patrick! This is °Mike° just having a go.....'he's too smart to have
missed that! (Aren't you °Mike°?) ;o)
Ta!
C.C.

Happy New Year guys!

"Patrick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:XjoIb.13563$(E-Mail Removed)...
> °Mike° wrote:
> > Your friends are receiving your emails by phone?! Yeah, right.

> Is this really you °Mike° ?
> #1, You are pulling the leg (no smiley)
> #2, You have not understood that the OP's friend has confirmed reciept of
> e-mail from OP, said confirmation haveing been attained over the telephone
> (talkie ting).
>

> > On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 22:19:33 -0000, in
> > <mOmIb.315$(E-Mail Removed)>
> > "Champagne Charlie" <Software@(SkipTheBrackets)Totalise.co.uk>
> > scrawled:
> >
> >> I am able to send email to my friends and they tell me they are
> >> receiving them....'by telephone!
> >> However, I am not receiving their replies to my emails. Anyone know
> >> what to do about this?
> >> I use Win XP and the problem is only present in Outlook Express. I
> >> can get my mail via 'WebMail' though.
> >> For some strange reason, I can only get my 'WebMail' when at work,
> >> but not from my home.
> >> My email server is Tiscali. My pop and smtp setup looks fine......
> >> i.e. pop.tiscali.co.uk and smtp.tiscali.co.uk
> >> My email sever is a pop3 server and I indicate this in my OE
> >> settings too. My username and password are okay.
> >> Why do I have no incoming mail when using OE?
> >> Any assistance appreciated.
> >> TIA.
> >> C.C.

Mara

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 02:15:04 -0000, "Champagne Charlie"
<Software@(SkipTheBrackets)Totalise.co.uk> wrote:

>Thanks Patrick! This is °Mike° just having a go.....'he's too smart to have
>missed that! (Aren't you °Mike°?) ;o)
>Ta!
>C.C.

You're receiving mail in webmail because you're getting it though the webmail
service's servers. When you use OE, you're getting your e-mail through Tiscali's
server(s.) Depending on the hosts your friends use, and whatever filtering their
hosts use (if they do,) that will probably be why you're not receiving mail
through OE, because Tiscali is blocklisted in a lot of places, and will probably
be added to a LOT more before long:

http://tinyurl.com/yumrw

"And frankly, they deserve every listing they get."

<snip>

--
The major difference about 'targeted marketing' on the Internet is the
targets can and will shoot back. -- Gym "Often with heavier weapons." Quirk